Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

The Release Candidate is here!

By default 'Toggle special effects' is off. Turn it on and it should work.

ctrl-o => tab 'Details'

Are you sure?

That worked for celticlady. I see in el.ini that came with the exe, that the default is on. Same spells she had problems with, though. :D

No worries. I just figured that maybe since others can see them but I can't, there might be a fix for it. Somebody in-game suggested it may my graphics card. Not sure, but thanks anyhow. :D

Hmm, no. There's a relation: self-spells don't work, target spells do work. Heal, restore (when not on full health) and shield all should give effects.

Can you see somebody else casting self-spells?

If you compile yourself, please check make.conf, and make sure FEATURES+= NEW_E3D_FORMAT is uncommented and FEATURES+= AUTO_UPDATE is commented so that files will not be overwritten.

Now, I am a bit confused. Are we switching over to NEW_E3D_FORMAT for this release?

If you compile yourself, please check make.conf, and make sure FEATURES+= NEW_E3D_FORMAT is uncommented and FEATURES+= AUTO_UPDATE is commented so that files will not be overwritten.

Now, I am a bit confused. Are we switching over to NEW_E3D_FORMAT for this release?

Yes, see ent's last line of original post.

Btw, if you disable AUTO_UPDATE, also disable CUSTOM_UPDATE or you'll get link errors, since these share functions.

By default 'Toggle special effects' is off. Turn it on and it should work.

ctrl-o => tab 'Details'

Are you sure?

That worked for celticlady. I see in el.ini that came with the exe, that the default is on. Same spells she had problems with, though. :D

Not exactly correct....I couldn't see any spell effects at all. Deadhead had been casting remote heal on me and I couldn't see that either. I don't know if Toggle special effects was on or off when I first logged in. I immediately went into the options and started changing things to match how I normally run the client to give a better comparison and I may have accidentally turned it off when quickly clicking through the tabs. But making sure that was selected on made me able to see all spells that we tested. Remote heal, restore, shield, mana drain and harm.

I still have some major FPS drops from remote heal. Deadhead had worse results than me with that particular spell. I do have slightly better performance than with the last client test release. This may be due to the fact that my motherboard is back in dual channel and I now have 2gigs of RAM. ie. remote heal used to drop me from 35 down to 3 FPS, now I get 7 FPS. Deadhead was down to 3 FPS for remote heal. Probably just a problem with our video cards being older or something(they are different cards). RallosZek didn't have a drop like that.

The fountain in WSC gave me much better FPS than before, I'm upto 20 now. Whether that is due to me adding more RAM and getting it back in dual channel I'm not sure. Maybe something was changed recently in that area? The smoke in the PL manu school is much better. Doesn't fill the room and my FPS only goes down to 29 now, thanks :)

I'll test more later and probably try some fighting as I was crashing previously when fighting.

Yes, it is imperative that you use NEW_E3D_FORMAT, we are switching to the new format now.

CelticLady, and others who have severe FPS drops due to the special effects: Can you try to play with the min/max fps settings for the particles, in the ingame configuration menu? Try to find some compromise between quality and speed, then post the results.

Yes, it is imperative that you use NEW_E3D_FORMAT, we are switching to the new format now.

A little late in the game so to speak. Seems to work fine for intel based Macs (mine at least). Will not know about PowerPC Macs for a few days.

Noticed that special effects / eye candy (which work fine for me) are not reflected in water.

Ok, I went and re-installed everything because I trusted my husband to do it for me (he's supposedly more tech savvy than I am) and he did it wrong. It's all working fine now. Sorry for taking up your time. :D

There is a building in Desert Pines - Evergreen Woods [191,279]

If you go inside,

There's a door at Tarsengaard (insides) [307,103] (yes, you've "switched" maps)

If you click the door you get:

"Umm... you can't teleport, there's no nearby open location"

The other door in that room works fine.

CelticLady, and others who have severe FPS drops due to the special effects: Can you try to play with the min/max fps settings for the particles, in the ingame configuration menu? Try to find some compromise between quality and speed, then post the results.

I played around with the min and max eye candy fps and it didn't seem to help at all. To me, it doesn't look like it's making the effects any less detailed. I took a screenie and hopefully you/someone can tell me if that is how it looks at full or minimum detail. It looks full to me, but as I'm not used to seeing it, I'm not sure. Anyways, this is the fire in North Redmoon closest to where you enter from the portals room.

Clicky

I know it was already mentioned on another thread that there was a spot in VOTD near Molgor where the screen would go black. Well, it's still like that and apparently there is a section of KF from the entrance at VOTD that is the same, Sundulana checked there and told me about those spots. She helped me check a part of Idaloran to make sure it wasn't just my client showing it black. Unfortunately, huge portions of Idaloran are like that. If you are facing certain directions then it's all black, but if you rotate your view enough then it clears up. I also ran into a spot in Iscalrith storage when I entered and had to click blindly until I could get my char to move and rotate my view enough so I could see where to go. Here are a few screenies to show some of the locations this is happening at.

Idaloran 1

Idaloran 2

Idaloran 3

Idaloran 4

Iscalrith Storage

Didn't get to fighting yet other than a few of the new smaller creature. Maybe tomorrow after work I can try the cycs again.

EDIT: Wanted to add that in the screenshots above, coords are on them.

System specs for low FPS issue.

Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz

2 Gig Dual Channel DDR 400 RAM

Integrated Intel 915G 128mb video

Edited by CelticLady

Yes, see ent's last line of original post.

Btw, if you disable AUTO_UPDATE, also disable CUSTOM_UPDATE or you'll get link errors, since these share functions.

Eep I see that the version of the client is still set as 1.3.3, not 1.3.4 ignore the ramblings of this rat :D Edited by LabRat

in meshes, there's a copy of items18.bmp (from textures, where it also exists)

also, is carmien mannor supposed to have shadows and such as if there was no roof? (AFAIK, it's a matter of if the dungeon flag is set)

also found a couple of stalacmites that looked to be wrong in carmien: piccie

keyboard bug(from pre RC) where you aren't able to use keyboard. i think i'm able to reproduce it on windows, by switching from el to another application during mapchange. if i switch back i'm not able to type on the el window. switch to another app, type there, and it works fine.

Tried it again, easy to reproduce. tele'd to c2 portal rooms, and put char on mapwalk to PV portal. just before char hit pv portal, i switched to another app(different el window) and switched back during mapload. not able to type then. works again after switching to FF and typing this.

EDIT: grr typos

Edited by 2coolfool

I've noticed a couple new problems.

1. If the client is the active window, and you click on another application, the EL client will "see" that click and your character will start walking even if you have sit-lock on. If you click on the window's background/desktop first (so no application is active) and then clicking on another application is OK.

2. Right now I'm usually running the old and the new clients at the same time. I sometimes notice that switching back and forth between them will make my entire display get a tiny bit brighter/darker. It's as if there's a color-map switch happening that's effecting the entire display brightness. It's repeatable, but I haven't figure out just what triggers it to start happening.

Ok, i *finally* have now a brandnew CVS client, compiled with NEW_E3D_FORMAT, *without* AUTO_UPDATE and CUSTOM_UPDATE and i found out this:

The house on IP just behind the tavern is displayed at the wrong spot.

Go to 73,124, then go to 67,115 and watch. The char runs THROUGH the house.

Then try to go to the frontside of the house. You will find there a big spot which is unwalkable. This is the place where the house should be IMO.

Log on with an older client (11 days old CVS for example) and have a look at that house. Its at a different spot and you cant walk through it anymore.

Yes, data_dir points at the right folder, had that wrong before and couldnt see some 3d stuff.

Piper

Edit: Nvm, i downloaded the tarball for Linux and the house is fine now. Maybe the problem was that i installed the *.exe using wine.

Edited by The_Piper

2. Right now I'm usually running the old and the new clients at the same time. I sometimes notice that switching back and forth between them will make my entire display get a tiny bit brighter/darker. It's as if there's a color-map switch happening that's effecting the entire display brightness. It's repeatable, but I haven't figure out just what triggers it to start happening.

noticed this too, thought it was just a problem with my pc only :D had to re adjust settings on my monitor, seems they had been changed. screen got much brighter over time.

Just something looking weird:

in the Meshes folder, the file animals11.bmp is a copy of arms11.bmp

oops, these are important bugs, thanks for reporting it! The thing is..i don't know what animals11 is :D

Can you look in your official main EL client folder to see? It may be that it's nothing.

noticed this too, thought it was just a problem with my pc only :D had to re adjust settings on my monitor, seems they had been changed. screen got much brighter over time.

Yes, I think that the problem is that you two suffer from selective reading.

Not a bug, just a different gamma for the second client. But I agree it's annoying, so I will make the default value to be 1.0

also, is carmien mannor supposed to have shadows and such as if there was no roof? (AFAIK, it's a matter of if the dungeon flag is set)

I think it's been like that since the dawn of time. Not really a bug, that thing is old, the roof was taken by a storm :D

also found a couple of stalacmites that looked to be wrong in carmien: piccie

What's wrong with it?

P.S. Please do not summit screenshots with the new lighting.

Ok, i *finally* have now a brandnew CVS client, compiled with NEW_E3D_FORMAT, *without* AUTO_UPDATE and CUSTOM_UPDATE and i found out this:

The house on IP just behind the tavern is displayed at the wrong spot.

Then you are definetly using the wrong 3d objects or maps..the one ones will appear that way, not the new in the RC.