Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

The Release Candidate is here!

This is very good news, it means that we fixed MOST of the problems with the client, and now we have a test, prior to the update, to determine if everything is OK.

If you want to help us test, you need to FOLLOW THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY. IF YOU SUFFER FROM SELECTIVE READING, DO NOT TRY TO 'HELP' US, OR YOU RISK GETTING BANNED FROM THE FORUMS.

Ok, now here is what you have to do:

1. Download the file from http://www.bu11.eu/EL-Mirror/downloads/el_140_RC.exe (mirror provided by Soldus).

Or, you can download it from http://el.beplacid.com/downloads/el_140_RC.exe (new mirror provided by Placid). Let me know if you have any problems with it.

1b. Download http://www.eternal-lands.com/libpng12.dll in the directory where you installed it.

2. Extract it in a different folder than where you currently have EL installed.

3. If you don't follow step 2 properly, you will mess up your game, and lose the privileges of posting here.

4. Run the game from the new location.

Known problems (mostly solved already, we'll provide an updated exe tonight or tomorrow).

a. Lights sometimes flickering without moving the camera. This is know and will be solved soon.

b. Shadows at the edge of the camera are cut off. This is solved now.

c. Summoning special effects do not appear after a few summons. This is a known problem, but if you figure out how to reproduce it, let us know.

d. The auto update in this RC is disable, so it won't overwrite newer files with bad files.

e. Very important: This should be tested on the test server, some files such as some maps are incompatible with the main server, until the update. So if you report map bugs from the main server using this client, you are baned forever from our forums. To go on the test server, change the port to 2001.

The Linux and OSX versions:

I don't have time now, but if someone can download and make a zip copy of the files for the Linux/Mac people, that would be nice. Keep in mind that we changed the file format for the objects, so the client NEEDS to becompiled with the new e3d option.

If you find other problems, please post them here, and take screenshots if possible. Be as descriptive as possible.

The Linux and OSX versions:

I don't have time now, but if someone can download and make a zip copy of the files for the Linux/Mac people, that would be nice. Keep in mind that we changed the file format for the objects, so the client NEEDS to becompiled with the new e3d option.

Yes, there has been no testing with the new file format on OS X, so a zipped data directory would be greatly appreciated.

using placid's mirror, I got an average around 80 kb/sec, peaking around 110, sometimes dropping to 40, so kget is pretty happy with the experience.

for those who don't need the executables (*nix, windows users who compile CVS, etc), you can get it here (note: 33MB). make sure you have SDL_image included, if you haven't updated to eye-candy yet

I've only extracted from the windows installed and removed binaries, no guarantee I even did it right, so if you have troubles, try getting the files from one of the installers before logging a problem (I used wine, you probably can too)

now to compile a new client and have a play :)

ed: oh goodie, looks like I just found a bug that's probably years old >_< (setting data_dir as a command line parameter)

Edited by ttlanhil

Please do not post bugs for the new Release Candidate in other threads, creating a mess. Please only post them here.

This includes map bugs, new item or creature bugs, and anything else that might be a bug.

Note, i just found a bug with the sslessar, he never went into any attack animations..why didnt' anyone report this before to me?

These kinda things are important to report!!! If you don't report them you're not helping us! All it takes is a post in the forums, or a pm to me(if it's art related). That's the most you guys can give back for a free game to play.... argghhhh :)

WHEN TESTING ANY MAPS YOU MUST BE ON THE TEST SERVER!

There will be inconsistencies on the main server, so do not report ANY bugs if you are on the main server!

Or, you can download it from http://el.beplacid.com/downloads/el_140_RC.exe (new mirror provided by Placid). Let me know if you have any problems with it.

Placid's mirror worked great for me, it went on average of 140 kb/sec, lowest was low 120's.

*waves to Placid* :hiya:

Hello you :)

Thanks for the feedback on the mirror, 'tis good to know the max/min rates as i'm monitoring load.

I can not get the eye-candy to work with the RC Client on the Test Server. I've checked my configuration options multiple times (and forum PMed KarenRei about it). I've verified I'm running the correct code released today, and that I'm on the Test Server.

Some examples of missing effects: no bag effects, no smoke, no glowy sword effects, no blood (assuming they happen on animals). Also, another player lit the fire at beam. I could cook meat on it (so it IS lit) but none of the three people there could see it.

I've had comments from others about not seeing effects.

So either we all made some silly mistake with the configuration options, or something is missing/broken.

Tell me any additional information you need and I'll edit/add it here.

[edit]

KarenRei is working with me via forum PMs. My error_log contains lots of load failures (picking one at random):

[10:48:42] ERROR: Cannot load texture './textures/eye_candy/128x128/void2.png'.

But all the eye_candy sub-directories and files DO exist in the installed RC client.

[Edit 2]

All fixed with the addition of the missing libpng12.dll file. Thanks.

Edited by bkc56

Trying to leave Tirnym Crypt, I get the message "Fresh air! You feel much less depressed." However, instead of leaving I get a "Umm... you can't teleport, there's no nearby open location"

Jow. :hiya:

EDIT: Using Tele to Portals in Tirnym Crypt sends you to C2 portal rooms, retried it to confirm and happened again.

Edited by jowwow

I think I've seen a new bug (not certain, apologies if it's not), with walking animation... I often seem to cut-short when starting to walk... it'd work when about to change direction, but walking in a straight line, my char (draegoni male, if it matters) may do a half-step a couple of times before walking properly

ed: and after doing a diff on the directories, it looks like commands.lst wasn't included in the release candidate?

Edited by ttlanhil

bkc, we forgot to put libpng12.dll in the download. we will provide it shortly.

Unfortunately we need both libpng12(for eyecandy) & libpng13(for screenshot capabilities)...so if some programmer knows how to make it so we need only 1, that'd be nice :hiya:

I think I've seen a new bug (not certain, apologies if it's not), with walking animation... I often seem to cut-short when starting to walk... it'd work when about to change direction, but walking in a straight line, my char (draegoni male, if it matters) may do a half-step a couple of times before walking properly

I've seen this too..it's probably something with the code, no idea.

Unfortunately we need both libpng12(for eyecandy) & libpng13(for screenshot capabilities)...so if some programmer knows how to make it so we need only 1, that'd be nice :hiya:
strikes me as odd, we should certainly be able to use the same one... probably just need to talk to karenrei to find why a different version is used

if you want mixing of new items tested, would it be possible to copy over the character files?

Data tarball is available from:

http://el.beplacid.com/downloads/el_134_rc1_data.tar.gz

Extracts to ./el_134

Does NOT contain pre-compiled binaries, nor the windows dll's or exes. So you will need to compile cvs yourself on *nix/osx or wait for Octane.

SHA256: 1be3416523b18e0fc08dff15f483e64ddb065b737ca6fdb82e7238d2269ae4f0

MD5: d6a0a4a5f2f50e80a6644985afadf3ce

If you compile yourself, please check make.conf, and make sure FEATURES+= NEW_E3D_FORMAT is uncommented and FEATURES+= AUTO_UPDATE is commented so that files will not be overwritten.

Edited by RallosZek

annaroi asked for someone to test books...

the problem given was that GET_KNOWLEDGE_LIST stopped at 255 (even though some books are beyond that). so new knowledge isn't listed on startup. however, GET_NEW_KNOWLEDGE did work.

I went and got the rope building book, read it, and confirmed. it turned white once finished, restarted EL, and it's grey again

I had a look in the client code, and while I'm not certain, I don't think the problem is there (it all works from the size given by the server, and works with Uint16, not Uint8)

Whitestone Map: I cannot access the bridge between the maze and Vermor Castle. If I click on it, nothing happens. If I click the other side of the water, nothing happens. If I mapwalk to the other side, I take the long way around to the North over the fallen tree. For example, I am standing at 598,430 trying to walk to 612, 427.

Edited by Aduard

Yes, I think that's a client problem, so if you can look into it it would be nice.
I did some more testing...

the knowledge.lst in the RC is 273 lines long.

the get_knowledge_list() call reported getting a size parameter of 32 (32byte*8=256bit). this is set from the size-header of the packet in multiplayer.c

so either the server is sending invalid data, or the data is being altered somewhere between network-in and processing (but it's consistent, so not a random thing... the person who reported it is using a different build than me... so I think this is unlikely)

Ok, it was my fault, the server was sending only 32 bytes.

When I update the test server, probably tonight, it should send 40 bytes (more than needed right now).

I seem to be having a problem with some of the spell effects. I cannot see effects for heal, restore, shield, and magic protection (I also don't see anything for life drain, but I don't know if there is one) - but I can see the effects for remote heal, harm, poison. I've checked my settings and did them around other people and they saw the effect from my spells. I don't know about anything higher than life drain because that's as high as I can go. Thanks :hiya:

I seem to be having a problem with some of the spell effects. I cannot see effects for heal, restore, shield, and magic protection (I also don't see anything for life drain, but I don't know if there is one) - but I can see the effects for remote heal, harm, poison. I've checked my settings and did them around other people and they saw the effect from my spells. I don't know about anything higher than life drain because that's as high as I can go. Thanks :D

By default 'Toggle special effects' is off. Turn it on and it should work.

ctrl-o => tab 'Details'

By default 'Toggle special effects' is off. Turn it on and it should work.

ctrl-o => tab 'Details'

Are you sure?