Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Restoration spell change

Poll  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Should the restoration spell be level based?

• OMG, now way, how would I train and PvP??11? (and the evil IRL people!!!)
    • Yes, would make people work more for their magic skill

Mmmm.. i don't think its a good idea...i mean people are having enough problems with restoration failure and mana draining and cooldown...imagine if u got like 10hp left and you clicked restoration to heal only like 60hp,that could make alot of problems and people will stop playing EL because they won't be able to fight for long...i think its better to leave it alone. :pickaxe: no hardfeelings :)

if you keep this idea maybe you should change the formula a little bit maybe use 10 or 15 mana and 2 or 3 HEs and without the 2 second waiting time if you succed if you fail there should be the 2 second thing that way there is a little bit of a change.

I normaly love your ideas Ent. but this one is not the best :pickaxe: i like the idea of making it a low lvl but dont get rid of restore make is 38 maybe? and no fail maybe 60. it is really hard to PK as it is especially between BroDs and BoDs along with summons... if you had 230 HP with CoL and you fight some1 say 120/120 and ur 60s/60s u get hit pretty hard... if they hit you down to 40 than u use ur "new idea" it heals you so much. as soon as you do that the BoD hits 150 HP than u have gone to underworld. sorry but me and corbin had to vote NO... i like the idea of changing the game. but not in that way, i think EL is perfect as it is... it is so cool. and we all love it errrm atleast i do. I know this is your game and all and i have basicly no say. whatever you wish to do with the game is ur decision. just, i like the game the way it is. Adding a few more spells would be a good idea and maybe raising the restore spell + 10 levels is a good idea... i like Acelon's idea but i still say that will raise it too high.

Sincerely,

LaRa and Corbin

Well, i will at least say something.

My problem is, i like both voting options + the idea of acelon and neildog, so i cant really decide, which is the best. They all are good IMO.

Personally for me, with 345 healthpoints while wearing CoL and NMT cape, the restore spell is fine as it is now. Yes, like getting 300 healthpoints with one restore. Nice to have it :pickaxe:

It still would be fine if the amount of health restored depends on magic level, that wouldnt be such a big change for me with magic level 50+. And i love the idea, the better your magic level is, the more you get.

Having more spells like acelon/neildog suggested sounds good for me too, wouldnt harm me personally, but maybe add more options to choose to the game.

So, for the sake of having more choices in game, i raise a small thumb for acelon/neildog's idea, but wont complain if one of the other 2 options win.

So i wont vote, just being interested how this voting ends.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Piper

This idea as has been stated as making the strong stronger and the weak weaker. This is exactly true and it will kill PK and lots of people at lower levels who worked their buts off to get CoLs and MoLs may quit playing or quit fighting. Any way you look at it, the end of most fighting in the game would be the result of implementing this change. Mana is currently far to hard to recover to allow changing restoration to a weaker or higher level spell. It has become so easy to remove mana from players that PK is impossible without full restoration.

There is no way for the lower level players to even begin to dream of getting to where the higher level players are and you would wind up with arena fighting only except for the strongest players on mostly empty PK maps as has been stated. If guard bots were subject to this same limitation it would make them nearly useless as well or impossible to level for the use they are wanted for in the first place. Only the strongest players in the game would make good guard bots if this change is made.

The only way to change restoration at all, and there have been good suggestions, is to change how mana is recovered in the game. EMPs have to be made very easy to make and lowered to 5 emu or you have to provide a new way to recover mana that is comparable to restoration for health. Making normal mana regen set at 10 per minute instead of 1 per minute would restore mana fast enough to accomodate the reduction of the effectiveness of restoration but then how would the other spells be effected? We don't need shorter fights and we don't need the game getting harder for lower level players than it is for higher level players. That is a sure fire recipe for drying up any games list of players.

TirunCollimdus

I voted yes. :pickaxe:

The way Ent put it, it would just cost more HE/SR, and it would be proportional to the health needed for people to level magic in-line with a/d.

I really like the idea of spell effects being proportional to magic level. Perhaps this idea could apply to other spells too, except of course for teleports, or others where it's a go/no-go thing, rather than taking/reducing/increasing health or gc (bones to gold).

As for spell reliability, why did this even enter the discussion? I think Ent got this right already, and we should leave it alone. Raising the level needed for any spell to be reliable will only make it more daunting for new players. MMOs rely on a constant influx of new players to stay alive. I believe EL's livelihood depends on attracting and keeping new players, while providing new challenges for veterans. But if by challenging the veterans, we discourage the newbies, we reduce the total number of players, and hurt the game.

New items, like the new armor, weapons, and frying pan (can't wait to see what that's for), add new challenges and interest without freaking out new players. And the best idea of all... building our own buildings! \o/

There is no way for the lower level players to even begin to dream of getting to where the higher level players are

Doh..

If someone plays this game for a longer time, like some years, i guess, they expect that not every newbie can kill them with 2 hits.

Yes, players who play for a longer time *ARE* powerful, thats a fact, and i would be bloody annoyed if that isnt so.

What would be the reason to play for a longer time instead of getting powerfull/rich/experienced/whatever?

Do we want communism, everybody's running around with 50 healthpoints and a rusty iron sword and nothing more, because some players *may* be better/more powerful/rich than others?

Piper

what if you change SR and Br cooldown by 60% or something, then allow restore spell around 100-250 , based on magic lvl

if theres no restore spell its also fair to allow people to have around 800hp somehow, like making attributes give more hp

If you want to make its effects based on level, have that beginning level start with level 21. I just got to be able to use this spell and I see that there would be a nice spell level gap without it. Having it level based would say that a lower level person could probably still restore most of their health if they train magic heavy. Older players that are basically just fighters won't get as much effect if they don't train magic.

If you don't want to make the starting level be 21, then please don't even alter the spell. Nobody likes having things they worked hard to attain taken away from them.

Make no mistake about it, this spell has more uses than fighting too.

BTW, the options are worded a bit biased like it is all about the PKers, so I won't even bother to vote.

what if you change SR and Br cooldown by 60% or something, then allow restore spell around 100-250 , based on magic lvl

if theres no restore spell its also fair to allow people to have around 800hp somehow, like making attributes give more hp

Scarr, i like you idea of all...

i'm ok with it :blush: because i think training is made much too easy for the new players... noobs with 80s a/ have 40 magic or less sometimes... lol?

ps, you could check most ppl against this have noob magic lvl, good reason for them to train it ;d

~TommyKnocker.

edit :

it would also make the MoL more usefull on pk map, since imo, Moon>Mol for pking atm...

Edited by Michic0_oL

There is no way for the lower level players to even begin to dream of getting to where the higher level players are

Do we want communism, everybody's running around with 50 healthpoints and a rusty iron sword and nothing more, because some players *may* be better/more powerful/rich than others?

Piper

That would be a nice new monster type for suggestion. I'd perhaps finally get to leveling a/d properly if there is communist spawn in game.

hmmm just a curious question... does this poll as a dead line? like a time when it ends or

does one of the sides need to reach the 60%? Oo

I like the idea of raising the required level for restore, and having a level-dependent spell in between. Yes, I will REALLY miss my restore...but I figure it might be for the good of the game.

But I don't like the option given in the poll, so I voted no.

Doh..

If someone plays this game for a longer time, like some years, i guess, they expect that not every newbie can kill them with 2 hits.

Yes, players who play for a longer time *ARE* powerful, thats a fact, and i would be bloody annoyed if that isnt so.

What would be the reason to play for a longer time instead of getting powerfull/rich/experienced/whatever?

Piper

Piper taken out of context that does look like a dumb thing to say. If you pay attention to how the game works you notice however that the experience systems allows new players to catch up close to the oldest of players. I know of players fighting for only six months who are close to 100 def. New players can catch up to some degree if not actually pass some of the strongest players if they have a better strategy and are very persisitent.

The point of my statement was that you could not get even remotely close to the older players levels if this change was made no matter what strategy you used or how persistent you were. My post did nothing remotely resembling suggesting that all newbies should be able to compete with the long time players. Your quote spoke to nothing that was spoken to in my post about why changing the spell would be wrong. The direction of my post was that people would never see those levels no matter how long they played because no one would work that hard to get them. DOH!!!

TirunCollimdus

The point of my statement was that you could not get even remotely close to the older players levels if this change was made no matter what strategy you used or how persistent you were.

I remember similar arguments when Entropy proposed cooldown times. People were up in arms, making threats to leave the game. Some even did.

At the time, there was a crafter with a level 61 crafting. At the time the highest in the game. It was done before the cooldown when they could polish gems like crazy.

Well, look at my levels. Yes, the game got harder. Yes, it got more challenging. Yes, it took me longer to reach that level. But I did it. And I wasn't the only one.

What Entropy proposes is a challenge in the game. Will the fighters grumble? Yes. Will the REAL fighters find a way to overcome that challenge? Yes.

The direction of my post was that people would never see those levels no matter how long they played because no one would work that hard to get them. DOH!!!

TirunCollimdus

Hmm... I and am sure many others besides myself have gotten over 100/100 a/d with extremely minimal (only a couple hours use of COL), so it is certainly possible. There is also something said about valuing something the harder you work for it, and I dont doubt the competence and abilities of others to do the same.

Well, i am sure that it would not stop people who don't leveled fighting to start training it. But it would be a good incentive to those who did not train magic to train.

And about people who are strong getting rewards... well, you can train too right? So it is not unfair. I trained very little crafting, for instance, i dont and cant expect to have the same kind of advantages of the people who did. And i think this is normal.

Had to vote no. Fights are already to quick, with that we will no longer see many fights lasting longer than a couple seconds, with all the great swords, summons, rings, spells, etc.

it would also make the MoL more usefull on pk map, since imo, Moon>Mol for pking atm...

not sure about that man, whats the use of the +30hp if you cant fill it with restore anyway :bow_arrow:

not sure about that man, whats the use of the +30hp if you cant fill it with restore anyway :laugh:

The chance of +25 can full a bit :)

I voted yes btw, seems more interesting

Looks like the vote has pretty much dead-locked with neither side reaching a majority. Does this mean no change or do we wait to see if one side ever attains a majority?

This will be a democratic vote, and if more than 60% of the people vote for the change, I will change it, if not, I won't.

I think this pretty well answers that already.

I voted YES

I would do it like magic lvl * 5, simple and elegant.

Starting at lvl 21, you get 21*5 = +105 hp, fair for the starter.

At lets say lvl 50 you get +250 (you can almost heal CoL+ hp, logical because your lvl is already above master)