Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Restoration spell change

Poll  

430 members have voted

1. 1. Should the restoration spell be level based?

• OMG, now way, how would I train and PvP??11? (and the evil IRL people!!!)
    • Yes, would make people work more for their magic skill

Ok, well, the idea is that the restoration spell is a very old spell, before we had stuff like the CoL, MoL and so on. And I personally think that it shouldn't heal 300+ HPs at once, because it makes it very hard to kill people, and adds too many items in the game from monsters loot (if it heals less, then people will fight less, some of their time being spent on trips to the storage).

So what I would like to do is make it level based. For example, level 35 heals up to 100 hp, then 5 more hp per magic level. So level 55 will heal 200, level 75 would heal 300, and so on.

So what do you think about this proposed change?

This will be a democratic vote, and if more than 60% of the people vote for the change, I will change it, if not, I won't.

People who Uses Murshooms for making stuff = can't Reply on Restore 2 much

Harvesters with low levels= constantly going to storage= TAKE more time to Get our supplies+ Fighters healing twice if they have low magic= OMG

I see Mass Mayhem at DP arena >.< bad enough they fail Restoration, now only getting little hp, hehe aint that a site to see :>

Edited by BrooklynboyKeith

Humble question:

Some good point of staying restore the way it is other than 'omfg, that will ruin my training'?

Again, humble and honest question, because i can't see any.

I am actually going to vote against this. Restoration should be restoration, and the spell itself is not overpowered as it is.

What change I _would_ like to see, however, is the removal of the 100% success after level 49. Such an important spell should never have 100% success IMHO. Higher magic level characters should be comforted by the fact that the higher the level the better the chance of a successful cast, even _almost_ certain success, but I think it is completely unbalanced that in the heat of a battle, a magic user can rely on a certain set of spells absolutely all the time.

$0.02 and will be happy with the vote either way.

S.

although my magic level is only 25 i still voted yes. as it is right now the only difference between magic level 21 and 121 is the reliability (afaik anyways)

one more thing to think about though, it should be a bit (read: a bit, not 100%) more reliable at the lower levels also....its hell fighting those magic mushrooms sometimes when you gotta click it 20 times, lol :D

I am actually going to vote against this. Restoration should be restoration, and the spell itself is not overpowered as it is.

What change I _would_ like to see, however, is the removal of the 100% success after level 49. Such an important spell should never have 100% success IMHO. Higher magic level characters should be comforted by the fact that the higher the level the better the chance of a successful cast, even _almost_ certain success, but I think it is completely unbalanced that in the heat of a battle, a magic user can rely on a certain set of spells absolutely all the time.

S.

plus Cooldown on Srs , rofl , interestin

What change I _would_ like to see, however, is the removal of the 100% success after level 49.

No way.

Magic is hard enough to level as it is and u should get a big reward if you level it enough.

If you ask me the non-fail level should be lowered, i have provided the SRS, the HE's, i've put pick points on will/vitality, spent heaps of time getting high level armors and weapons... and all that proves basically useless when i die in PK cause freakin restoration failed 3 times in a row.

I am voting no on the poll, but i think a spell inbetween heal and restoration should be implemented.

(eg. Cure spell, requires mag 14, never fail at mag 30, cost 2 HE and 12 mana and heals 75 health).

S.

plus Cooldown on Srs , rofl , interestin

I largely prefer to have a reliable restore which restores 200-300 hp than to fail to an infinite restore and die.

I need to say no on this one, i can see what your trying to get at, but there would be massed rioting.

I had to vote NO on this. Restore sucks as it is with the high failure rate, and when it is successful should restore full health. :)

However, I would consider voting yes, if they open a magic school and add a magic quest to help level in magic. :D

I voted yes, but to be honest, I'd rather see it as such.

Level 21, rather than having restore...have a spell called Rejuvenate (or mend) and have it heal 100 hp base and have that be level based. THEN, have restore as a higher level spell (50?) and it does the current effect.

I largely prefer to have a reliable restore which restores 200-300 hp than to fail to an infinite restore and die.

Well duh.

I am not speaking of self-interest here, I am speaking of reasonable game mechanics.

Magic is as far as I know the only skill where you obtain a 100% success level after a certain point. I understand this is legacy from older game level setups.

Difficulty of leveling is not at issue here. I would counter argue that summoning and crafting are much harder to level than magic, yet there are no guaranteed successes in those skills.

And no I don't have level 49 magic, but anyone who knows me knows I could in a week if I felt so inclined, so this is not a lack of self-interest here either. The reward should be with every level comes a greater chance of success and the chance to learn more spells, not that you are seeking certain success. If so, where is the clamorous arguments for certain success for item/summons creation in the other skills?

Hugs and kisses.

S.

Well duh.

I am not speaking of self-interest here, I am speaking of reasonable game mechanics.

Magic is as far as I know the only skill where you obtain a 100% success level after a certain point. I understand this is legacy from older game level setups.

Difficulty of leveling is not at issue here. I would counter argue that summoning and crafting are much harder to level than magic, yet there are no guaranteed successes in those skills.

And no I don't have level 49 magic, but anyone who knows me knows I could in a week if I felt so inclined, so this is not a lack of self-interest here either. The reward should be with every level comes a greater chance of success and the chance to learn more spells, not that you are seeking certain success. If so, where is the clamorous arguments for certain success for item/summons creation in the other skills?

Hugs and kisses.

S.

Magic is different than all the mixing skills (hence it uses a separate window), I believe that is why it was exempt from the changes. Also, you're idea about getting higher level to have a lower and lower chance to fail is only true to an extent, eventually the higher levels won't decrease the chance to fail and it will be at a fixed minimum rate; that is why often times high level alchemists will fail more FEs than HEs etc.

Guest ohmygod

Wonder how many people are voting who dont fight in pk maps against 8 enemy at once (lot of people dont seem to like me for some reason) or fight players that hit for 50+ damage. I die enough already in pk becuase of:

- 700-1000+ ping times and resyncs because of my connection speed and RL location in the world.

- Cooldown on srs/xmana

- mana drain from bear stones

- Cooldown from tiger stones

- Cutlass of mage

- mana destruction rings

- Staff of mage

- Bone of death

- Ring of power

- ring of damge

Being able to restore full heatlh at will, is the only thing that keeps me "alive" long enough to at least try take 1 or 2 enemy with me to the underworld.

This change would suck for me big time.

Oh! i have 75 magic level so no big deal for me if the changes were implemented as stated (lvl 75 = 300 health restored) :D

Edited by ohmygod

Level 21, rather than having restore...have a spell called Rejuvenate (or mend) and have it heal 100 hp base and have that be level based. THEN, have restore as a higher level spell (50?) and it does the current effect.

Interesting suggestion Acelon...

But i'd have the required and non-fail levels lower than 21 and 49, have lower HE (2 or 3) and mana (12-16) requirements and have Restoration required level be 40, not 50...

...hmmm, so yeah just half way between my suggestion and yours :D

Note that i'm NOT endorsing this suggestion, just that if Ent were to implement it i wouldn't want to see it implemented exactly as Acelon suggested.

EDIT:

ohmygod spelled it out nicely, theres enough stuff killing us in PK as it is.

I also suffer from a low ping time, if i can only heal a bit over 100 health i could heal and then be dead before i even see my health go up.

Edited by Korrode

Well duh.

Well, pk is _really_ deadly failing restores. It would be crazyness to go to pk knowing you can die not by your personal fault or because your char is weak, but just because a spell failed.

As Senia pointed out, magic is not just another mixing skill, its a special skill. The other skills have no minimum level requirement (in magic, YOU DO NEED a minimum level before attempt to cast a spell), so you are comparing apples to oranges. The mechanics of the skill itself makes the reward of a higher magic level to have acess to more advanced spells.

Hugs and kisses.

S.

*hugs*

Edited by Lorck

I voted yes, but to be honest, I'd rather see it as such.

although i voted Yes, i like this suggestion more :)

It probably needs some tuning, but seems very nice idea :D

ppl with low level magic (~21) shouldnt have more than 100 hp anyway :)

it makes it very hard to kill people

fights dont last that long as it is, IIRC lots of PK'er have complained of short fights in the past b/c of these below things shortening fights

- 700-1000+ ping times and resyncs because of my connection speed and RL location in the world

- Cooldown on srs/xmana

- mana drain from bear stones

- Cooldown from tiger stones

- Cutlass of mage

- mana destruction rings

- Staff of mage

- Bone of death

- Ring of power

- ring of damge

in my honest opinion changing the way this spell works will shorten fights even more and im sure some of the PK'er will complain about it for that reason, not just that they cant train and PvP as easily.

my reason for voteing no is mainly the fact that cooldown on SR's kill me as it is especially if a white tiger shows up.

edit changed point in middle of sentence ><

Edited by Happy_G

ppl with low level magic (~21) shouldnt have more than 100 hp anyway :D

Why not?

I had a CoL before i had mag 21.

wasn't one of the users told off for posting a poll with badly biased options?

anyway, I don't like the yes/no here, something like acelon's suggestion would be a lot better IMO.

also, what impact would this have on guard bots? would they be exempt, or would this change mean they're far weaker at doing their job?

ppl with low level magic (~21) shouldnt have more than 100 hp anyway :D

Why not?

I had a CoL before i had mag 21.

and I had mag 49 before I had CoL :-)

I voted yes, this isnt ideal, but its good way, imho all good Pkers can restore all HP with 5 points/lvl, so it affect only ebul low lvls with lots of irl money and full sto of CoLs \o/

Guest Trojan_Knight

Based on the suggestions in the original post, for the yes or no. I voted no for this poll. If other suggestions were included on the original post, than I may have voted differently. Due to I'm not going to vote yes on something that isnt included in the original poll.

But based on opinions, suggestions, and other things included. Is to why I voted as I did. All the great suggestions I seen that could have persauded my vote. Was not included as part of the poll, but rather as suggestions or opinions of others.

(WildIce @ May 7 2007, 12:41 PM)

ppl with low level magic (~21) shouldnt have more than 100 hp anyway

Well I think maybe some that like to gain extra exp from high will, or gain extra emu from having high physique would differ they're opinions to this comment. Because, maybe they've been playing for long time, maybe they haven't. But who's to say your restricted to be able to carry 400 silver ore because your magic is less then level 21?

I also agree in terms w/ ttlanhil. And was a concern which concluded to my voting no. Since nothing was stated about guard bots. And imo I also feel that mutliple suggestions vs a yes/no would maybe help some, possibly including myself, to vote in a different more desired way. As to help change magic currently as is.

Regards,

TK

This has been suggested ages ago...and I still think it was one of the best suggestions to date. Restoration at lvl 21 for 4HEs and 25 Mana to restore 100% of your hit points is way overpowered - especially now with the CoL and the MoLs.

People bring up some good points though, as it wouldn't be called true restoration, more like heal. Acelon has a good idea, but how many new spells do you get at lvl 50? Invis and ICTP?

Spleen - keep the 100% success (you can still implement the same idea Ent has). Such a skill that returns NO money to the user should keep every little positive thing it can possibly get (before it gets ripped away)

and I had lvl mag 82 before I had CoL :-)

I voted yes.

Edit:

Blue...LOL Dream on mate :D

Edited by MagpieLee