Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cyprom

Opis Magnus

Sounds like a great guild, gl. :)

I wish you the best, Cyprom. Good luck with your guild. May the light darkness guide your path :P

:)

You'll be fine and I'm always around to help out if any trouble. :)

-Blee

Edited by BleedingSoul

Tag *OM* !?

This is stupid.

See sig.

Tag = ~OM~ and I'm not trying to copy *CO*

Edited by Cyprom

Corpus Opis means physique power iirc.

hm... my latin knowledge tells me:

corpus: body

ops: genitiv of ops: power

as opis is genitive it should mean "body of power" or "power's body"

if you want it to mean "body of power" or "body's power" it should be "corporis ops" or "ops corporis"

so "opis magnus" would mean "height of power" or "power's height"....

Ok, afaik, 'opis' can mean two things, i will elaborate on it later. "Corpus" is the latin word for body, as evidencied in many neo-romantic langs which took the word for 'body' from latin.

'Opis' can mean two things:

-The roman Earth goddess, wife of Saturn, and since most good come from earth, the word 'opis' also designated "riches, goods, abundance, gifts, munificence, plenty", because at that time, almost all of the $$$ came from the earth itself. Opis was the patroness of riches, abundance, and prosperity..

Opis dicta est coniux Saturni per quam uolerunt terram significare, quia omnes opes humano generi terra tribuit

This means stuff like: "Opis is said to be the wife of Saturn. By her they designated the earth, because the earth gives all goods to the human kind."

That is a famous latin verse. :icon13:

So in this context, Corpus Opis can mean "Body of Opis", Opis being the divine being which represented earth and abundance and richness in the roman mythology.

-Ops - note that lack of 'i', means power, the power to aid, to help. The general 'power' as we usually use, would rather be translated as 'potentia' in classic latin.

Well, we can't have much clue, about what Corpus Opis actually means without one of CO's founders come here and say so, but since the begining *CO* was not much focused in help, but to accumulate stuff, so i think the 'Body of Opis' is more likely to be true. ;)

Edited by Lorck

im amazed discovery channel finally found its way to EL :):confused:

Edited by Scorpius

[...]

-Ops - note that lack of 'i', means power, the power to aid, to help. The general 'power' as we usually use, would rather be translated as 'potentia' in classic latin.

[...]

Yes and No :confused:

Ops is (as i already said) nominative, the root word is "op" and the "is" ending makes it a genitive (also already said). Had a little chat with my latin teacher about that and he agreed with me, the idea it was based on the deity didn't come up.

The reference to a roman deity was new to me so i looked it up and we both are right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ops :)

now i would be interested what "opis magnus" means, "great power" or is it also based on this deity?

now i would be interested what "opis magnus" means, "great power" or is it also based on this deity?

That is indeed what is was supposed to mean. It's not based on a deity, it should be "great work". Unfortunately, after all the things that were explained above, I checked my name again and it appears to contain a mistake.

So it should have been Opus Magnum. I must've been distracted and never paid a lot of attention to it afterwards when I thought Opis Magnus was correct.

I feel like an idiot and I'm sorry for the confusion, but due to the high amount of work that I put in the guild (website), I'm not changing it.

You guys aren't sure about Corpus Opis, well people will never be sure about Opis Magnus :)

No big deal, it's a shame, but can't be undone without me spending all that time on it again.

This doesn't take away that ~OM~ is still recruiting... That was eventually why I made this topic. You can PM Duckyo now as well if you want to join.

-- Cyp

Edited by Cyprom

Hahahaha, and you edited...

Cyprom: at least we know what our guildname means..

Keep up the good work mate.