Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

EL PRE RC (windows only)

READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DO THIS, OR BEFORE REPLYING. NOT DOING SO CAN GET YOU BANNED FROM THE FORUMS

In order to speed up the release of the new client (which is ready featurewise, but needs some more bug fixes and adjustments), I want everyone to test this client which is a pre pre release candidate.

In order to test it, you will need to download it from here:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_eyecandy_test.zip

Then copy all your EL stuff in a new directory, and unzip this zip archive in that directory, in such a way that you will overwrite the existing files (some DLLs). Do not unzip it inside a folder in your new directory.

If you do that and report a problem, you will be suspended from the forums for life. So if you are not familiar with unzipping archives, don't do it!

It is important to copy the EL stuff in a new directory, because otherwise you might have to reinstall the whole thing, in case you have problems.

If you notice problems or bugs, or very poor performance, let us know here. If you report poor performance, post your system specs. Also, to make sure, test with the original client as well, and compare the FPS from one client to another in the same location.

One other thing, keep in mind that the name of the test client is different, so don't run el.exe and complain that there is no difference!

P.S. Let me know if you have any problem with the bags using the new client!

for us non-windows folk, would there be any problems with just extracting the new data files and using a recent CVS client? assuming we have recent libs as needed and all that

It should be OK for all the platforms. The eye candy textures are already in the CVS though, so you don't need to download anything from this file.

ok few things

name font 2 dosnt work also the advanced video tap extends out of the window

OMG my FPS has gone up! while walking anyways.

It goes down in a busy place.

Normal client 60-61fps

new client 70-75, 50-55 in a busy place

also the advanced video tap extends out of the window
probably just a note to ent: that means the changes in /languages/ probably weren't included (the tab names were changed in one of the XML files to make them just fit inside the window... which may well cause havoc for translations)

ed: from below, the statbars thing... this is because it doesn't fit anymore with really low resolution. the trivial fix is probably to change hud.c, about line 957, to only draw stats on the side if the video mode is >4 instead of >2 (so people with low resolutions won't get them at all, but at least it won't overlap)

Edited by ttlanhil

Also, the Item Quickslots extend over top of the ATT level thingy on the right side of the client. Edit: I just noticed the ENG so it's most likely related to that.

http://www.dragoncairn.net/situ/images/Darc0/ClientSS

I left the Advanced Video Tab open so you could see it on mine too.

Performance note: FPS dropped 50% with everything enabled on my computer from averaging 30 to 15 whenever someone gets that beam thingy.

My computer: Dell Inspiron 2650 with 1.6 GHz P4 with 320 MB of Ram and a default video card (not sure on brand, but 32 MB of memory on it.)

EDIT: I noticed the Font problem as well, but that isn't my normal font so it didn't bother me.

Edited by Darc0

- When the reflections are turned on and visible, the upcoming fx crashes the client on windows xp.

- The config window tabs doesn't fit into the window size.

- FPS is half was before - of course only if more than one special fx shown in the area

(but i always used 'poor man mode' before this cool fxes -- really great job, ty :P)

(average 35fps on my computer: ATI x1650Pro AGP8x @ 1280x1024x32,75Hz / P4 2.4GHz running at 2.8GHz / FSB800)

- Another problem with the keymapping: now the Alt-X works with the right alt (Alt Gr) button too. In some keymaps (for example german or hungarian), the alt gr+x is the # sign, and used frequently while #gm or #ig and commands etc. Now the client is closed.

- I have found some artifacts in PL dock, unfortunately i can't take screenshot, because my client was crashed. It seems like the fog, but the fog doesn't enabled at this time.

It was a big rectangle with color rainbow between two colors (it hides everything behind this object).

Edited by csiga

The config window tabs doesn't fit into the window size.
yup, already reported
FPS is half was before - of course only if special shown in the area

(but i always used 'poor man mode' before this cool fxes -- really great job, ty :P)

if you had poor-man on before, could you try having it on now (use all the same options except stuff like turning eye-candy on) to give a better comparison?

- Another problem with the keymapping: now the Alt-X works with the right alt (Alt Gr) button too. In some keymaps (for example german or hungarian), the alt gr+x is the # sign, and used frequently while #gm or #ig and commands etc. Now the client is closed.
sigh. we had bug reports about right-alt being broken, and that's why it was changed... I guess the best option is if we can detect altGr as being different to alt. if not, then I suppose a broken right-alt is better than it closing the client for non-us keyboards
- I have found some artifacts in PL dock, unfortunately i can't take screenshot, because my client was crashed. It seems like the fog, but the fog doesn't enabled at this time.

It was a big rectangle with color rainbow between two colors (it hides everything behind this object).

I bet this was a glowey held by a bot. if so, it's a known (and possibly since fixed) bug in eye-candy

I have tried out the eyecandies in this afternoon and noticed that not everyspell has one(for ex: life drain) this should be this way or is a bug???

I also noticed that when i use a summoning stone, my screen becomes totally white, and then after 3-4 seconds slowly returns to normal...

It is really nice work :)

my system:

P4 3ghz

512 ddr

Ati sapphire 9600

and yes my ati bug was turned on from the video option!

Nice game, nice effects :icon13:

And a question may i use this on the official game server aka port 2000?

Troger

Edited by Troger

I guess the best option is if we can detect altGr as being different to alt. if not, then I suppose a broken right-alt is better than it closing the client for non-us keyboards
I think I've found how to do this, but I can't test it myself... if there's anyone with an altGr key who can compile CVS, please contact me

ed: okay, I have a victimvolunteer for this... hopefully it can be sorted out :)

Edited by ttlanhil

This simply looks like it's perspective.

With the old CVS client it was even more obvious: the smoke gets way thicker when it's in the middle of the screen.

Entropy, can we get a list of what compile options we should use for those of us on Linux/*BSD?

I don't want to compile in an option that is still in testing and will not be used in the final official client. That way I don't submit a bug on something that isn't a priority.

Entropy, can we get a list of what compile options we should use for those of us on Linux/*BSD?

I don't want to compile in an option that is still in testing and will not be used in the final official client. That way I don't submit a bug on something that isn't a priority.

Same options as before, but with eye candy. Don't use the new light yet, until after the update.

You can use the new alpha thing learner put in, but there are some issues with it.

wtf is this??? I have no idea whats going on? is this an error?

The glowing bug has been fixed already, this release client should be updated because way more people will report it otherwise :)

Effects while wearing a jagged sabre

Intial screenie showed just nice sparkly bits

freya.jpg

Then walking round Irsis the glowing got bigger

bug.jpg

and finally entering Irsis sto this :

bug2.jpg

As soon as the sword was unequiped screen returned to normal

The magic weapons bug has been fixed in the latest CVS. We will provide a new binary soon (tonight).

Meanwhile, please do not report that bug again.

Yeah. The bug only existed for a few hours, but it's impressive how many people updated and ran into it during that time. Meanwhile, my test system was never able to reproduce it (I was able to fix it because, thankfully, my upstairs comp was able to reproduce it).

I have tried out the eyecandies in this afternoon and noticed that not everyspell has one(for ex: life drain) this should be this way or is a bug???

Yes, this is correct. All of them already have effects coded, but due to time constraints, not all of them could be integrated for this release. Next release, though... ;) Consider this release a teaser of what's to come :(

Client crashed when I simply ordered my char to go to Judith to some tree mushrooms in the storage. Unfortunately I do not have debugger here so I could not debug it. :(

The last error message in error-log was: [22:06:33] Got invalid sound number . No idea could that be the problem which caused the crash...