Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jamincollins

Reduce defense XP while attempting to flee

Under the current combat system, Attack and Defense experience are awarded during combat as the player is learning more about how to land blows (attack) and avoid their opponent's blows (defense). This is largely because this is where their attention is focused. I posit however, that once a player starts attempting to flee that the focus of their attention is no longer on learning how to fight, but rather on leaving the fight. As such they should no longer gain the full benefit of any avoided blows. In other words the defense experience awarded should be dropped to 1/2 or even 1/4 of what would normally be awarded.

people have trained with this style of exp'ing for many years, getting millions of exp... just consider that and how it would unfairly disadvantage new players, just imo :)

they'd use weapons on spawns to kill it before exp stops, giving a mess with the spawn serping issue. and more monsters killed = too many nmt's and capes in game again.. :lurker:

Edited by 2coolfool

2cool: your logic is flawed here, if I understand correct, you gain xp like normal, and its only the 'flee' period where you stop gaining (as much) xp. Consider that players generally don't flee until after they stop recieving XP (is there much point fleeing whilst you are still getting xp?) this makes no difference. In fact I can see the only implication being for when you are trying to flee from a fight with a player and you don't get as much xp... in this case who tries to get xp from pk'ing anyway?

Jamin: although its nice to make parts of the game more logical and realistic, I dont think this will have a bearing on anyone, as such it seems quite useless waste of dev time to implement.

I think he was refering to Flee Training: When a player makes constant flee attempts to prolongue the fight and squeeze every drop of defense EXP from a fight.

2cool: your logic is flawed here, if I understand correct, you gain xp like normal, and its only the 'flee' period where you stop gaining (as much) xp. Consider that players generally don't flee until after they stop recieving XP (is there much point fleeing whilst you are still getting xp?)

dunno about others, but i start to flee around 3-4 rounds before exp is supposed to stop(rough guess) so that i don't keep on failing to flee and get hit w/o getting exp

2cool: your logic is flawed here, if I understand correct, you gain xp like normal, and its only the 'flee' period where you stop gaining (as much) xp. Consider that players generally don't flee until after they stop recieving XP (is there much point fleeing whilst you are still getting xp?)

dunno about others, but i start to flee around 3-4 rounds before exp is supposed to stop(rough guess) so that i don't keep on failing to flee and get hit w/o getting exp

Exactly cuz you will barely flee at the first attemp... so you still get exp while trying to flee.

Exactly cuz you will barely flee at the first attemp... so you still get exp while trying to flee.

OK, but if you both do this then flee means no attack anyway (or like 1 in 4 attacks compared to normal). IIRC you get xp for first 20 successful att/def, so you are get a minimum of 16/20 (80%) identical xp, then maybe the remainder at half xp, so per hour you would earn 90-100% of what you do currently (higher end of scale for instant flee, lower end for if remainding 4 rounds are unsuccesful).

It would be nicer to just have it so that if both players try and flee, then the fight is over... seems odd 2 unwilling combatants cannot just walk away from a fight. Or maybe for the flee bug to be investigated some?

Either way, though I personally like the idea, I think it is a waste of time for devs to tinker with something that really wont make a difference to the game.

EG

I posit however, that once a player starts attempting to flee that the focus of their attention is no longer on learning how to fight, but rather on leaving the fight. As such they should no longer gain the full benefit of any avoided blows. In other words the defense experience awarded should be dropped to 1/2 or even 1/4 of what would normally be awarded.

My character focuses on getting def exp while fleeing, if ur doesnt than teach him to do that coz it helps at training :lurker:

If some1 doesnt flee he gets attack+def exp, if some flees he gets only def exp, and sometimes he doesnt block so 0 exp for him.

it seems quite useless waste of dev time to implement.

ihmo u r right

OK, but if you both do this then flee means no attack anyway (or like 1 in 4 attacks compared to normal). IIRC you get xp for first 20 successful att/def, so you are get a minimum of 16/20 (80%) identical xp, then maybe the remainder at half xp, so per hour you would earn 90-100% of what you do currently (higher end of scale for instant flee, lower end for if remainding 4 rounds are unsuccesful).

It would be nicer to just have it so that if both players try and flee, then the fight is over... seems odd 2 unwilling combatants cannot just walk away from a fight. Or maybe for the flee bug to be investigated some?

Either way, though I personally like the idea, I think it is a waste of time for devs to tinker with something that really wont make a difference to the game.

EG

When u watch ppl that begin new mobs u see clearly they make a lot of exp while fleeing.

Its visible especially while watching newbie fluffy trainers, they got low p/c(might) and attack, and in most cases can block fluff but cannot properly hit it( they use expensive armors and/or made the high def lvl on pvp).

eMPi