Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Problem with eye candy

Yeah -- the fix for the teleporter flickering was to make it check to see whether it really needs to change LOD before it does. However, sword and summoning effects did part of their initialization by calling request_LOD. It was deciding that the LOD (which had just been set) didn't need to change, so it would return right away, and never do the initialization stuff that it needed to. So, the size was gigantic or tiny, depending on what was in memory before.

Karen:

Can you please remove the pevees section from the page linked in your signature? It doesn't look good for the project when developers disagree in public like that.

The reason for not wanting the normals patch in right now is that we need to test (on different machines) which way is faster; calculating the normals at runtime, or storing them in the files.

If calculating them at runtime is faster, then we can remove them from the format, and use your patch. If loading them from the disk is faster, then we will have the objects convertor fix the normals too.

Either way, it is too late to introduce new code now (while that patch it's technically a bug fix, it's also new code that is not NECESARY for this update). We need a ballance between bug fixes and release cycles, and we are already late in this realease cycle.

Thanks

I wanted to send this by PM, but your inbox is full or disabled.

It looks very nice, but what is this? (looks like a fog but animated flares, and always follow the camera - but fog was turned off)

My hint is it maybe depends on light, because if i turn to 180 degrees direction, it disappears. Sometimes full white and i can't see anything.

Please read the other bugreports, unfortunately it was posted in the same topic where is the eye_candy link posted.

fx.jpg

Edited by csiga

I haven't seen these sorts or problems crop up until the "Use Lamp Halos" in the options menu came around. Could that be a factor?

Edited by Nintenduh

Situation: lots of summons (my rabbits and bep's wolves) in Arius summon area, segfaulted me. Before the segfault happened, shadows (and effects) got disabled because of low framerate but had been enabled again (and I drank an SR).

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 47459882374144 (LWP 5728)]
0x00000000004edf51 in ec::MathCache::powf_0_1_rough_close (
this=0x817460, base=nan(0x400000), power=0.200000003)
at eye_candy/math_cache.cpp:2179
2179	  return (powf_map[index1][index2] * (1.0 - percent2)) + (powf_map[index1][index2 + 1] * percent2);
Current language:  auto; currently c++
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x00000000004edf51 in ec::MathCache::powf_0_1_rough_close (
this=0x817460, base=nan(0x400000), power=0.200000003)
at eye_candy/math_cache.cpp:2179
#1  0x00000000004d2330 in ec::Particle::flare (this=0x7be7f20)
at eye_candy/eye_candy.cpp:726
#2  0x00000000004d24d2 in ec::Particle::draw (this=0x7be7f20,
usec=349919) at eye_candy/eye_candy.cpp:633
#3  0x00000000004d0f29 in ec::EyeCandy::draw (this=0x816d20)
at eye_candy/eye_candy.cpp:1496
#4  0x00000000004bf2ab in ec_draw () at eye_candy_wrapper.cpp:326
#5  0x000000000044937d in display_game_handler (win=0x3dd4c60)
at gamewin.c:712
#6  0x000000000043cded in draw_window (win=0x3dd4c60)
at elwindows.c:1059
#7  0x000000000043d41a in display_window (win_id=0)
at elwindows.c:1207
#8  0x000000000043a736 in display_windows (level=1)
at elwindows.c:57
#9  0x00000000004341c3 in draw_scene () at draw_scene.c:98
#10 0x0000000000461651 in start_rendering () at main.c:123
#11 0x000000000046192f in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fff8f570388)
at main.c:235

running EL in gdb paid off :devlish: (maybe)

ok here are the mock-ups for the torches & the candles.

I compared them with the old particle system, because I do prefer it for these 2 particle types if you cannot create something similar to the ideal mock-ups.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/ffle...torchcandle.jpg

The candle flame shouldn't really move too much, nor should it have sparks flying off it. Just light yourself a candle to see what I mean :devlish:

Ermabwed: I'll be on at some point after 8:00 PM CST; if you can help me reproduce it, I'd be glad to work on getting that fixed. It's a NaN/Inf bug; we've gotten a couple of those before. I can make it so that those don't crash the client, but since they shouldn't be there to begin with, it's better (for now) that they do so that they're discovered and so I can fix the underlying cause. Making it not crash would be like treating the symptom, not the disease.

Roja: Can do (thanks again for the mockup -- those are great :) ). It's one of those things where, within the constraints of available processing power and available time (coding, debugging, particle texture creation, etc), I can make an effect look like anything you can imagine. However, in order to do that, I first must know what you imagine :(

Edited by KarenRei

8 pm CST is in the middle of the night for me (3 am, if I can trust the time zone converter) and I got to work tomorrow :( (plus I got no rabbits/rats left to summon). We can try (your) Friday evening again, gives me time to get more ingredients as well. Also have to add that I wasn't able to reproduce that crash as nicely as the mana drain one.

Similar crash happened before (but after mana drain fix) on a spell 'overload' though, maybe somebody else can reproduce a crash when there are a lot of effects going on.

Wasnt this suppost to be fixed when Radu updated the Eyecandy client yesterday? yjjy.jpg

client keeps crashing (didnt happen before the file was updated yesterday)

Keeps frezing and keyboard stops working, and its getting annoying

Last night Karen and some other people did more testing, and some other problems should be fixed.

If you can't get the latest CVS, wait until I post another client tonight.

That is fixed. Are you sure you're using an updated client?

Ent: Could you release the updated client at around ~10:30 PM CST? That would give me a chance to look into the last known crash first. The big summoning one(s) were patched last night and it stopped Heu & Asgnny's crashes, but there's one left that was only able to take out my system (and only if rabbits were spammed quickly) that I'd like to fix. The fix will also provide a framerate boost when there's lots of magic going on.

Edited by KarenRei

Can't today, it's Roja's responsibility to compile the client and she just got a new computer and is setting it up and stuff.

Yes, better to wait more days between test releases anyway, or else peopel get bored of that and it causes a lot of confusion.

Well, I'll be... I just checked out a 120 day old client, turned on shadows but not shadow mapping, and guess what? They're funky. I accelerated time, sitting on IP near the beam, and you can watch the shadows from the ridge move in opposite directions as the shadows from the tree.

Looks like we've had shadow problems of some type or another for a long time...

Duh. I have been trying to tell everyone that shadows have been messed up since sometime afer the last update.

I have been away for a bit, so I am getting updated on recent events. berlios is down, so I cannot test recent changes. However, with eye candy turned off, do the original SFX still work? I noticed a few people mentioning that those effects were no longer appearing. Why were they disabled to start with?

I tried to compile today(just a little while ago), and i got this error:

elc/eye_candy_wrapper.o(.text+0x7522):eye_candy_wrapper.cpp: undefined reference to `ec::CandleEffect::CandleEffect(ec::EyeCandy*, bool*, ec::Vec3*, float, unsigned short)'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I tried to compile today(just a little while ago), and i got this error:

elc/eye_candy_wrapper.o(.text+0x7522):eye_candy_wrapper.cpp: undefined reference to `ec::CandleEffect::CandleEffect(ec::EyeCandy*, bool*, ec::Vec3*, float, unsigned short)'

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

There is a new file, effect_candle.cpp, readd all files in eye_candy and you will include this and also it will take away this problem, I had the same.

Ok, now it works :)

Candle & Torch look beautiful now!! Great job!

Only one small complaint, can you make them a bit larger? Just scale them up proportionately a bit. If you go in the game and look at a torch, the fire doesn't fill the scone. The candle flame will also look better a bit larger.

Thanks! :)