Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

City building

I hope you're going to tax those who have houses in these new maps :icon13:

(I wouldn't be very British if I didn't suggest that, eh?)

Whilst I prefer the safety of the latter idea, I don't like the process of one player having total control. What about a council board that decides on it? What if they were voted in, and they then vote on the new houses that are being built? (Each council member could be in charge or a district of the map...?)

Edited by Placid

I think this would be good as a seperate MMORPG as it sounds so different from EL. It's a good idea but it isn't something that everyone in EL will like.

Having one single player in charge of a whole city sounds risky (LOL), a small group of people (3-4) sounds more comforting.

What if the mayor goes on holiday or something? LOL. Someone who will be second in charge needs to be eleceted along with the Mayor then, eh?

But then again, the citizens of the city will be voting for the Mayor, so a trustworthy person would (should) be elected.

I like this city idea, though it will need a LOT of brain storming to get it working right.

Civilization is a great game btw :icon13:

great idea, my suggestions;

small cities, lots of buildings, town centers. --> a big and full place, not empty like all the other houses in EL(sorry)

it would be cool if you could buy a parch of land in the hills between NC and VotD for example.

Great Idea!

Maybe the city could only be accessed by a specific ring that is 0 emu and cannot be dropped or traded or put into storage in any way. Example: The person who pays the 50K gets the part of the land and lets say 500 [City_Name] Rings it will always stay in his inventory and it will never drop, be traded or put into storage or lost at death... when they all end he can cancel living in that city and go to another city or buy more for a much cheaper amount of gc.. 5-10K for another 500..while you have that city's rings you can neither purchase a land at another city nor cancel living there. So you cannot live in 2 or more cities at the same time.

I wanna be a mayor, i MIGHT give you planning permission to build that house, if you give me a little donation ^^

as i see it option 2 would be best in keeping peace in the town, but most people would have a hard time trusting one player with collecting 30milgc from other players to build the city. there are certainly people i could name that i would trust to this extent (not all of them are in my guild) and i hope that alot of people have known me for long enough to trust me with anything they had.

i had an idea on the initial way to determine who was the first mayor of the city and let others into the city. we could have an NPC that say for 1 month you can talk to and put your name on a ballot. then another month after that people can go and vote (since there will be 10-20 cities mabey each person gets 3-5 votes for different people) then after the month or so of voting the 10-20 players with the most votes are declared the mayor of the city (which they can turn down and join the city with someone else that got elected that they dont want to split from, in that case the next most votes would win)

after that if following idea #2 (which i liked best) people give money to an NPC on the map that the person was elected too (to avoid confusion mabey put the player name in the NPC name, exp: Happy_G_City.) then noone would be entrusting one player with that much money to start the city. from there it goes as planned with adding city members and elections and whatnot.

tell me what you think of this or if its just to difficult to impliment that way

slightly offtopic: I will be running for mayor of one of these cities.

Interesting idea for EL, there's another game called Wurm Online I have played in the past where all towns are player owned and has citizens. There are several different deed sizes avaliable and a monthly upkeep and guard fee (if guards are hired). Typically each citizen performs their civic duties be it mining, fishing, cooking, tailoring, farming, tree proccesing and so forth. Citizens also typically make donations to town upkeep.

Wurm has had limited success so far and is certainly not perfect, but is quite unique. I think a little time spent researching Wurm would be well worth the time.

Very good idea and one that opens a whole new set of possiblities for the game.

Personally I dont think who owns a map should be writing in law.If a player saves up and buys a map on his own and declares himself King then fine or if a guild clubs there money together and has there city as a democracy then thats fine as well.

The possibility to do both options should be there.If someone wants to be a tyrant thats good but they will soon realise no one wants to live in there city so there buying of the map would have been wasted.

I think most citys will naturally progress towards democracys ( who wants to be on a map where the KING can have a hissy fit and kick you unless that king is fare and well liked )

The guild option IMO is the best and 2-3 allied guilds to club together to share a map and leadership other guilds who want to build on it might have to set up an embassy first to see how they behave before there members are allowed in etc

bear with me, as after reading the first 2 pages. I went rather crosseyed.

questions in mind: Purpose of city?

storage in city?

harving in city? (doubtful, maybe flowers though)

city reserves, or a city bank? *IF* the guilds can establish their own city (and also non guild based cities) will there be a place for the citizens to come togethor and pool supplies (most likely harvested from outside sources) for guild/player projects?

enemies? can other players come in a city they are not a part of, and steal your shit? or ebuly pk you?

war? could city A decide city B doesnt deserve to live anymore? Rules of war? spoils of war?

allied city's?

location? toughy indeed. many variables to consider. 1. is there a storage in city? 1a. if so, how close will your city be to *useful* resources? 1b. *if* your making crazy new maps for these city's will you make some of the resource gathering spots outside city locations pkable for competition? (forcing teamwork)

2. bleh i gtg to class. ^^

i hope this is useful...

I think this would be good as a seperate MMORPG as it sounds so different from EL. It's a good idea but it isn't something that everyone in EL will like.

I agree with you. This sounds to different from the current game.

As a side note I would rather see the time spent to add a new continent to the current game giving the players the opportunity to try new maps, explore, mine, fight etc. :P

So far i do not see any sane reason for me as a player to PAY for citizenship...

Please Radu, just for once, take an idea from a real life. Or all you wish is to drain Draia citizens out of their gold coins...

The idea is realy good, but from what I see realization of it will be very bad, at least from my perspective.

Edited by Dejan

So far i do not see any sane reason for me as a player to PAY for citizenship...

Please Radu, just for once, take an idea from a real life. Or all you wish is to drain Draia citizens out of their gold coins...

Isnt having to buy building land and/or pay for the buildings construction true to life ?

well, in EL u dont get much for return.

u cant use a city for something

At the moment yes that is true but none of us know yet what benifits if any Ent is going to implement into the citys for its inhabitants, and until Ent decides its time to tell us discussions on anything apart from what he asked suggestions for are pretty pointless

The idea is realy good, but from what I see realization of it will be very bad, at least from my perspective.

I think it is a little bit premature to wonder about why would someone join a city, as no details about the cityies has been announced, except for how to start it.

In addition to that, players will not be required to join a city, and the game will be playable as it is now (or better) for those who don't join.

I agree with you. This sounds to different from the current game.

As a side note I would rather see the time spent to add a new continent to the current game giving the players the opportunity to try new maps, explore, mine, fight etc. :(

I agree with these people.

I don't have a problem with giving the idea a test run, but, still. I just feel that it would kind of take away that certain feel to EL. It's just way to different from what this game is.

In addition to that, players will not be required to join a city, and the game will be playable as it is now (or better) for those who don't join.

You are also not required to go to those maps where the cities will be. No change for those who don't like it/don't want it.

well, in EL u dont get much for return.

u cant use a city for something

This seems a little premature. You don't know which kind of new buildings and related services will be there. For example, what if you can create a building which provides, say, a pay-per-use arena which guarantees that only you and your training partner can enter it for a given amount of time?

In full glory, city builders will have some form of scripting or programming language (maybe similar to the one used for quests?), and then endless possibilities open... the whole issue with player-run cities is that players can be creative on their own without having to wait for Ent or some of the other good souls doing the server work to implement everything.

Just as a term of comparison, look at all the services the various bots around provide to players, and how much they add to the game texture. I can imagine player-run cities will have buildings as varied as bots are (and no, not all of them are tradebots :()

well, thats something different

thats the abilities of the town, but we were talking bout houses, so in fact i typed it wrong in my post, it should be: you cant use houses

actually we arent talking about houses either (or at least shouldnt be) can we get back on subject with this, ent asked for comments and sugestions about how to determine the first mayor of a town and how to start them out of his 2 ideas. in no way did he ask for ideas on what to use the town for or ask for people to prematurly shoot down the whole town idea on acouint of they dont know what he has planned. we dont know near enough about them to say "I will not join a town"

so can we please get back to topic and stop complaining about something we know little to nothing about, that is how we have lost good things in the past. and almost lost the summoning stones.

Note to Ent: sorry for this, just got tired of everyone complaining and saying cities arent worth it when they know nothing about them. ive already put in my 2 cents on the mayor thing :D

uhh.... why not just buy the city like the NPC in whitestone with the warning system.. i suppose he could keep tally and distribute 'shares' or votes according to money spent.. because the minimum amount spent would not be small, this would essentially limit who has influence in the city for later voting mayor.

There could be a few cities available at a time. if a guild wants to buy a city in entirity... good for them. perhaps they can buy a 'deed' from player later? Or buy it in one go from NPC. Personally I wouldn't mind buying a piece of a city with other guilds in it, but other guilds might.

Edited by sithicus