Eternal Lands Official Forums
nicky

Transmutation - No, its not a repeat

There was only one other transmutation topic, and it's completely different then my idea.

Some items in nature are actually the same elements, but are different because of the way they were created. Coal and Diamonds for instance. Diamonds are simply carbon atoms that were compressed with heat, coal was not compressed with heat, but are equally carbon.

I was thinking that some professions could benefit by being able to transmute coal into diamonds, because it would save on alot of nexus PP's.

The Engineering skill would be a great place for this (Alchemy already has so much) and the formulas could look something like:

50 fire ess + 20 Energy ess + all the coal in your inventory = diamonds equal to the same amount of EMU the coal took up.

Perhaps a new tool could be introduced to make this possible.

Other formulas could be possible, if anyone has any ideas that sound realistic, i'd like to hear them.

some sort of compression chamber? Instead of it being at item, it could be a public facility (like i assume blacksmiths will be used someday? ie you go there to do the skill and use the equipment)

This would stop mass production at storage and a cash toll could be in place to drain some GC and fair out teh advantage.

Ok, might work fine, but do nothing but lower the price of diamonds, besides that I can't think of a single other set of items that would work like this, unless you intend to transmute greaves into plate... (unless you want to make gc out of gold bars, but that is minting, not transmuting)

Secondly that is like transmuting sand into glass, they have the same elements, but glass is much purer, if you did it directly by compression your glass would be worthless, same with diamonds/coal. You would have to purify the coal.

And diamonds simply aren't hard to get, they take a few nexus, but most people that want diamonds also want sapps, emeralds, and rubies, so they have the nexus anyway.

--Duck2

I was thinking that the fire and energy ess "burn off" the impurities, and to make it worth it, have an engineering skill level thats high enough so that not everyone can do it.

Also, it would only be profitable or compete with current prices if you have enough pp's into might. you wouldn't want to waste alot of ess making something that can be harvested unless you had the space to transmute alot at once. If you think it would reduce the prices of diamonds, adjust the formula. I think it would be nice to be able to make each of the gems, this way crafters can do thier trade without having the nexus and harvesting levels to mine gems.

That would make a good low level engineering task, providing a new way to make diamonds. These diamonds could also be used for sandpaper, another low level engineering item, and air ess could be used for some interediate and advanced engineering items, thus creating a larger demand for them.

Bal.

Yes, this might be a good way to make gem sanding paper manuable, I hadn't thought about that, as for Diamonds, it would be a horribly expensive way to make them:

1: Coal costs the same per EMU as Diamonds, 1 gc per EMU

2: 50 FE @ 3.5 gc ea = 175 gc

3: 20 EE @ 8 gc ea (what I sell for) = 160 gc

4: Assume carry capacity of 540 (my carry load, I am a reasonable mid lvl example), therefore 335 gc in essences + 235 coal (470 gc worth) = 156 Diamonds (470 gc worth at current market prices) Since coal price will equal Diamond price at every bag lvl, you will lose 335 gc per repeat at any bag lvl, just depends how munch coal you swap for diamonds.

That is a big price to pay for not using nexus, unless the exp from doing it was amazing I can't see many people actually doing it, unless the end product was sand paper, and the ings were a little different.

--Duck2

Yes, this might be a good way to make gem sanding paper manuable, I hadn't thought about that, as for Diamonds, it would be a horribly expensive way to make them:

1: Coal costs the same per EMU as Diamonds, 1 gc per EMU

2: 50 FE @ 3.5 gc ea = 175 gc

3: 20 EE @ 8 gc ea (what I sell for) = 160 gc

4: Assume carry capacity of 540 (my carry load, I am a reasonable mid lvl example), therefore 335 gc in essences + 235 coal (470 gc worth) = 156 Diamonds (470 gc worth at current market prices) Since coal price will equal Diamond price at every bag lvl, you will lose 335 gc per repeat at any bag lvl, just depends how munch coal you swap for diamonds.

That is a big price to pay for not using nexus, unless the exp from doing it was amazing I can't see many people actually doing it, unless the end product was sand paper, and the ings were a little different.

--Duck2

But there are not many professions in which you get more then you started with. In some cases, it's downright expensive, look at all the leather helms people skill on and sell to trik, at least in this case it's a usable end product, and you get skills too!

Nexus are there for a reason, and while players may like the idea of circumventing them, it wouldn't be good for the game.

Any device for transmuting coal to diamond would naturally require a very high artificial nexus to use, as it represents some form of complex high technology.

You spend pick points on nexus to earn the right to use such things, that's part of character development.

Coal is much faster to harvest than diamonds, and it would give engineering xp using only easily harvestable ingreds (ess + coal + tool)... that's enough motivation for me making them :confused:

Bal.