Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Contest

Here is a cool contest I came up with:

It's called "Re-enact the scene".

The objective is to recreate a scene from a movie, each week we can have a different one.

Here is how the contest will work: People will split in teams of their own choice (like a guild for example, but not necesarly).

Then they will scout the game for an area suitable for that scene. They can keep it secret if they want to, so each team has to find it's own area. If two teams chose the same area, then one team will have until the other team that are using the area finished first.

Rules:

1. The scenes have to be recreated by actions (moving around, etc.). Local talk is permited, but you can't recreate the whole thing by just talking. For example, you can use lines from the movie, or 'sound effects' such as "booooom".

2. The best performance will be judged by me, to have absolute impartiality (a forum vote might be biased).

3. You can alter the client models/textures/objects/etc. for this contest, but in this case you will have to post a video of the contest captured by someone with moded textures.

4. Each team has one performance only, but they can practice before the contest if they want to. They can also practice on the test server, if they want more privacy.

5. If the movie scene requires fighting, which will probably do, I will make a day of no drops.

6. We might use the test server for the final performance, depending on the movie scene nature.

The movie for the first contest is Terminator 2, the end scene in the factory (you can chose whichever part of this scene to reenact, the more complex it is the more points you get).

The time is next Sunday, 15th of April, and the hour is to be decided later on.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Suggestions?

I might suggest two classes for entries: modified models/textures/objects/etc, and unmodified.

I think scenes with mods will have the potential to be vastly better than unmodifed, and most people won't have the ability to do such mods. So I think two classes, each with their own prizes, would result in the most participation.

I might suggest two classes for entries: modified models/textures/objects/etc, and unmodified.

I think scenes with mods will have the potential to be vastly better than unmodifed, and most people won't have the ability to do such mods. So I think two classes, each with their own prizes, would result in the most participation.

Aren't you supposed to win if you do more work and do it better?

a while back I set up my bot code and a server to replay movies... this sounds ideal for using them... if it's the test server then I only need to have an account available wherever the action is happening if the actors want it recorded, for the live server I'd have to get accounts approved first...

so, anyone who wants it recorded, please let me know (I should be able to set up some accounts with MM, and get some fur clothes, so outside of PK maps it'd be reasonably reliable... in PK maps it's more tricky, of course)

note that this type of movie is like another EL server, not like youtube, so even if you have modded textures, the recording will use whatever other players have (which may be different again, for some users)

and to ent, would I be able to get some accounts approved as bots for recording stuff on main server? (the bot code already works, so it'd only take the time to get them MM and some fur) they'd have to be able to move to where stuff happens beforehand, but other than they they'd just stand around recording during events

Aren't you supposed to win if you do more work and do it better?

Think of it like another type of contest: auto racing. Not everyone has the resources to race Formula 1. So they have classes ranging from pure stock (unmodified off the showroom floor) up to various build-your-own car classes. That way more people can participate in the sport to the degree they are able.

So I'm just suggesting having two classes: stock (unmodified) and open (modified).

One could argue that it's easy to create a movie scene with "special effects" (modified textures). Those with true creativity will make the scene believable in the stock (unmodified) class.

Each class will require a very different approach to the scene. I think each should be recognized.

But then it's not my contest, I just wandered in through the door labeled "suggestions".

Well, it so happens that here everyone has the same equal resources, and this is a team game anyway, so it is enough for one person in each team to have the resources.

Nevertheless, there will not be two categories, and that's it.

Well, the contest is supposed to be in 2 days, but I didn't hear much talk about it.

So is there any team working on it? Do you need more time?

Heres the Video for people that want 2 watch it as well..

Wow that is pr0 man :D I love it :D One of last texts is the best, when terminator dies John says: ":(" lolz :) That was so natural lol

Well, you were the only team, so I guess you won :o

Good movie, BTW.

Ok, so who made the movie? I mean, the people that participated.