Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Save the Internet!

Here's an important issue that affects everyone who uses the internet:

What is this about?

This is about Internet freedom. "Network Neutrality" -- the First Amendment of the Internet -- ensures that the public can view the smallest blog just as easily as the largest corporate Web site by preventing Internet companies like AT&T from rigging the playing field for only the highest-paying sites.

But Internet providers like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast are spending millions of dollars lobbying Congress to gut Net Neutrality. If Congress doesn't take action now to implement meaningful Net Neutrality provisions, the future of the Internet is at risk.

Read more here: http://savetheinternet.com/=faq

Are we talking about some hubs in certain places that decide which packet goes where and how fast, or is it merely a matter of some providers that you need to avoid? I am all for armed revolution and angry mobs on the street who want to secure free internet access, but if a canceled subscription is as effective as all that, why bother getting off your ass and missing the next tv show?

I would guess that almost all providers (if not all!) would disregard net neutrality if allowed to. I mean, hey, it's free money to put other people's traffic first, and we all know companies would be willing to pay to put their traffic first.

Indeed, it is worth money to route users to certain sites. And as such, you could provide net access for free if company money pays you for the routing preference. And a non-free provider could enforce strict net neutrality. This would mean that the user can decide to pay for net neutrality of just surf for free on a bent internet.

It is just like the free newspapers that pay for themselves with advertisement fees. As long as you have the choice, there is no problem.

The problem is that you wouldn't have a choice. The big companies control the big networks of the internet that everyone uses. The local ISP's don't own those networks, so switching an ISP would get you the same thing.

Well, the internet is running against it's edges (dunno you say it this way in english) because of traffic that is getting bigger each day. If it can be done in a certain way that big companies pay to get their data routed faster I don't care as long as they invest this money in making the capacity bigger. At this speed of traffic increasment we all will have slower connections some day if there is nothing done at all.

Edited by Cycloonx

At this speed of traffic increasment we all will have slower connections some day if there is nothing done at all.

That's the point. Right now it's ALL of us. Including the big name companies. If net neutrality taken away, then games like Eternal Lands may be saying goodbye, because we wouldn't be able to pay those big phone/network companies the money so that our game is playable! Speed is very important with online games.

At this speed of traffic increasment we all will have slower connections some day if there is nothing done at all.

That's the point. Right now it's ALL of us. Including the big name companies. If net neutrality taken away, then games like Eternal Lands may be saying goodbye, because we wouldn't be able to pay those big phone/network companies the money so that our game is playable! Speed is very important with online games.

Well not really I think, if big companies only pay for the uber fast connections, no one will have problems of it, as long as the capacity is getting bigger with the money they get. I would see it as the EL shop. Big players can also buy items in the shop and have benefits of it. You can still play the game without paying but get less benefits.

And if you think of it: Why should a small company be able to generate huge trafficloads like all the rest? I think it's just to keep these little buggers off and we as normal users won't see any difference I guess.

Except for the small companies. Like, say, this one. Or people producing those nice free tools you use instead of the stuff from Microsoft or Adobe where you saved a few thousand dollars...

Well not really I think, if big companies only pay for the uber fast connections, no one will have problems of it, as long as the capacity is getting bigger with the money they get.

That's not true. If there's only a limited amount of traffic that's allowed to go through per second or whatever timeframe, and if the big companies buy into having a lot of that for themselves, the pipe will get smaller for the rest of the internet-possibly even blocked:

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies — including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner — want to be Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax content providers to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video — while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services — or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls — and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

When it says the nations largest cable and telephone companies, is it suggesting that each nations biggest companies will be doing it of that the big American companies will be gatekeepers independent of where you are?

Is the issue to do with who owns the internet?

I might not have much knowledge on the big picture but I imagine that if this did happen and it was as bad as it looks to be, I'd guess that a second internet would pop up from somewhere and users would migrate to that.

Internet has realy got boring in the past 5 years. tHERES just to many greedy pepole trying make buck on it now. theres is nothing free to do on internet anymore. i ask myself why am i paying 100 usa dollors a month for this ,when all it is, is advertising now. its like paying cable and every channal is then pay per veiw. I know if theres not more free stuff to do on internet soon im going just cancle.

Edited by masterkenbo