Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JonLask

has anyone suggested that...

alot of people are bitching cuz noobs are making alot of money and gettin serps and tit armor and the good smeg...

how about puttin lvls on the weaps themselves?...

sorry if re-posted...

Personally I think this is a great Idea.

You could not equip a sword till your attack level reached a certain level

Staffs could be level 0

Iron sword level 5

Iron Broad Sword level 8

Steel sword level 10

etc.

The same for shields and armor. Could not use unless your def level was equal to the armor.

Leather 0

Wooden shield 2

iron chain 10

etc.

This puts some "economy" back in the game for the low level manufacturers. Since FEW people buy the lower level weapons there is no point in me wasting time or resources making them. Since 95% of what I will be making is going to go to Trik, I just make the thing that gives me the most cash for the least time and materal...

If lower level players HAD to buy the lower level weapons to progress (Just like I have to MAKE the lower level weapons to progress) then it would give me a reason to make those high (material and time) maintenance weapons cause I could be sure of getting a player to buy them instead of having to sell them to Trik.

Later,

GatorJaws

Guys, you are acting like a Serpent Sword cost now 5 gold coins.

Besides, it's common knowledge that if you fight with a weapon you get much elss exp than if you fight bare handed.

Ent.. a serp IS like 5 gp... i've seen serp sell for 850 k and that's nothing...

that's only 170 beaver furs... killing 170 beavers is like lvling up 10 lvls for a noob....

I know it's their fault that they haven't read up on the game, but a lot of newcomers have NO IDEA that they less less XP with weapons and armour.

They don't believe me when I tell them either!

I do think that a lvl req on weapons is a good idea though - just on the grounds of RP realism, and to tie into the fact that other equipment is levelled. For example most cloaks.

I wouldnt mind seeing weapon requirements either...nothing extreme though just so everyone isnt running around witht he best weapon in the game.

only posted cuz everyone else was bitching about it in-game and not posting in here...

Guys, you are acting like a Serpent Sword cost now 5 gold coins.

Besides, it's common knowledge that if you fight with a weapon you get much elss exp than if you fight bare handed.

...thats true tho about the exp...

Ent.. a serp IS like 5 gp... i've seen serp sell for 850 k and that's nothing...

i've seen serps selling for 700k...

that's only 170 beaver furs... killing 170 beavers is like lvling up 10 lvls for a noob....

Since a day or 2 after the beaver update, I've seen multiple people with under 15 in fighting, and almost no other skills, running around with a titanium serpent sword, titanium armor, and steel shields, and whatever various other equipment they just happend to be wearing...

I suppose beavers could be made harder to kill. Maybe their fur removes 1 or 2 damage points as if it was armor.

Or maybe they should get a special attack: "You just lost 45 Material Points due to a tree falling on your head."

"You just lost 45 Material Points due to a tree falling on your head."

ROFL!

Sorry Ent, but I don't see how it is "common knowledge" that a combat style like "full contact karate" gives you more experience in fighting than swordplay would give for example. I'm referring here both to RL and computer games in general. IMHO this is nowhere near common sense. I see it as your opinion, but I wish you would think over it... passing by ppl who kill a garg bare handed just doesn't feel right. Besides the "reality" factor it makes weapons in EL even less attractive than most of them have become now. Which brings me to the actual point of my reply here: The beaver syndrome....

The other day I was sitting at a lonely riverside enjoying the view, just chilling a bit and listening to the music Zenogias wrote as a newbie-Q appeared in Ch-Nr2:

- what is a good level and equipment to kill foxes? she asked

A routine question. For the last couple of weaks I've been playing and watching over Ch.2 such questions were the most common. So I PMed the person and told her that she'd probably be fine with 8/8/8 or 9/9/9 and some weapons/armor, "but don't forget the potions" I said... She told me she were 11/12/11 and it was clear she wouldn't have any problems, but then, just out of curiosity I asked what gear she had...

- tit chainmail, steel shield.... blah blah.... whatever

Tit chainmail... TIT CHAINMAIL? With those combat lvls? Probably played a couple of days, have never killed a fox and she already has the best armor EL has to offer?! Ent, do you seriously still think that the struggle for beaver fur was such a good idea? Noobs are getting insane amounts of money in no time... yes, it's circulating, but at the same time you kinda sacrificed 90% of EL's weapons/armor for this "new economy state". The reason why ppl are still wearing leather pants and boots is only because we have nothing better ATM, otherwise not even a n00b who has enough brains to follow the beaver-trend would take 'em for free...

As I've started playing EL there were those ppl walking around in shiny armor wielding strangely shaped swords and I though "Wow, those are the veterans - one day I will have one too..." A week ago there was nothing wrong with such a thought, now? Now a serp just means a couple of hours of beaver-slaughter and any noob can have one in no time.

In addition to that those noobs who got a serp or a tit chain surely won't risk loosing it, even if they would go anywhere wearing leather armor and some cheap sword, now that they have "their precious" they'll be even more careful at exploring the world.

Ent I can only advise you, please rethink your future strategy for implementing new features, above all if you plan to add more similar fur-quests. Meanwhile JonLask's suggestion is a good way to try to fix the problem that occured. I wanted to suggest weapon & armor LVL restrictions myself, but then I went off for a couple of days and as usual missed the opportunity :)

Don't take it as a rant, even if my post sounds a bit harsh. I understand that you are trying to improve the game, but unfortunately "Sometimes with the best intentions the worst mistakes are made" (quoting Oscar Wilde here :wink: ). It's not like the downfall of EL or something, but I see it as a problem and what's more important I'm not alone with my opinion.

The current combat system that favors bare-handed combat so much, combined with the current state of economy where any noob can get his hands on the best equipment EL has to offer in such a short time span produces a deadly mix we need to find a cure for... IMHO.

Again, JonLask's suggestion is well worth considering.

I say just throw in at least 20 more beaver spawns. Add supply to decrease demand.

Edit: However, since that would really crowd IP, maybe you could add a second newb island, like an "isla mira." This would help to keep everything spread out.

are people so hungry for beaver skins that they pay titanium armor and serpent swords for them? what have the world come to?

if so then i say make both items drop only items from high level monsters and people will prize them higher ;) gah, maybe manu was a bad idea after all :)