Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lleumas

Vista trouble, it worked before

Umm, Im getting the same error as the last guy -- It opens for .5 seconds and then closes, and its as RES like 640x480 -..-, except It worked fine when i had vista at first, I took Screenshots.

Anyways, I'm getting the same error. Comp specs below \|/ ... not sure what all ya need so ill post random stuff -.-

HP

1 gig ram

150 gigs HDD on this partition

Nvidia GeForce 6150le integrated crap (Drivers updated)

amd 64 dual core 2.2ghz

Error log:

Log started at 2007-04-02 21:30:37 localtime (Central Daylight Time)

[21:30:37] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[21:30:37] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates133/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[21:30:37] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Alchemy.xml

[21:30:40] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates133/la...dia/Alchemy.xml from www.eternal-lands.com

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Armour.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Attributes.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Books.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Clothes.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Creatures.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/General.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Gods.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Harvesting.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Jewelry.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Magic.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Maps.xml

[21:30:40] Download needed for languages/en/Encyclopedia/Help.xml

[21:30:56] Error: Can't open file "counters_lleumas.dat"

-------------------------

I've tried just about everything i can think of so ... ehh

I've got Vista Ultimate btw, in case that matters >_>

-------

I figure it probably has something to do with me crashing my comp 7 or 8 times in the last week, but who knows. Maybe i should just install the linux version :/

Could be becuse your running vista ultimite with that system, i am suprised vista ultimite works with that processer and gfx card.

Other wise i would try going into the EL program file and turn the settings to low and see if the game starts.

(excuse the spelling please i have never been a strong speller).

Well, I have a "lite" version of Ultimate ;)

It also hasn't worked with any of my latest vista installments.

In the past week i've had home premium, business, and home basic before ultimate.

I tried going to the config and manually editing it, but it comes up with the same Res and error.

If anyone wants to give me a XP Pr0 product key I could solve this :(

-Lleu

Do you have write permission in the install directory? That log file shows it doing an auto update, when the update finishes it will try to restart. Lack of write permissions will totally mess you up.

Yeah, under the security tab it says i do, but Who knows -- its vista -.- , what's it trying to auto update? -- could i manually D/l that and fix it?

Hi also Vista probs here ;) updates do not show the new books.. knowledge... screen looks blue...

:( what do i have to do :P

Since Vita is 'more secure' my first assumption is that the default install you don't have permissions to write to the install directory. That would be the biggest reason auto update wouldn't work.

I had vista ultimate beta 1 and 2, EL worked on it, but not on the release versions. I have not had time to mess with it, but the REAL fix is to get an OPENGL ICD Driver for your graphics card from your vendor (nvidia has one, and ATI is in beta).

You other option is to try this:

go to the install dir and open permissions for full read/write access for everyone.

right click on the el.exe (or the other executable if you use that one) and mark it to run under xp compatibility and to run as an administrator.

Vista's new least user access causes all apps to run as a standard user, and if the app tries to access an API that requires elevated privs, the screen goes grey and you are prompted to provide permission to elevate that application to make the call with your admin rights. Marking it run as admin causes it to run with the admin rights at launch.

Using the vista application compatibility toolkit you can also create compatibility shims to assist your app in executing more successfully. It requires some knowledge of the way the app works, and so perhaps doing some testing in a debugger would help determine where the failures are and you can try to shim those api calls using this toolkit.

So far noone i know has gotten a set of instructions that gets it working for everyone, so if you have the time to play with this, perhaps documenting your steps would help others. Eventually i will have time to play with it too, and i already build shims for applications, so if i can make a working shim, i'd be happy to share it.

Guest Sverhin

I beta tested vista and had trouble initially, but after I directly downloaded new graphics drivers from nVidia and ATI for both of my vista pc s it worked with no problems.

The drivers that come pre loaded with Vista are bollox so install drivers from the manufacturer and it should work fine.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this