Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Merlak

Some Potential Improvements

Its really good that the maps are big and u have to walk ALOT to get to point A to point B, but can't walking be improved. I mean there are only 8 directions u can walk. It really gets annoying when u have to do alot of walking and ur character is zigzagin all over.

I think the storage would be much easier if you just click on the npc to store, and a fairly big screen comes up and it has boxes for your inventory (items that are on the character) on the right side, and the storage boxes on the left side. And when you wanna store something u just click on an item in the right boxes and it will go into the left boxes (storage). At the bottom there should also be the 1 2 5 10 20 .... so u can store alota items easy. Something like when u pickup items from bags, 2 boxes pop up, ur inventory and the storage of the bag, and you just click around to drop stuff or take stuff. This would make things much easier then clicking if you want to withdraw or deposite, then clicking that subtitle it goes under.

It would be really useful to bind keys. Get rid of the icons at the bottom, some of them you done even need anymore (ie walking opening doors harvesting, etc) and just bind the ones you need to keys (ie inventory, drop screen cast screen) For example inventory would be "i" drop would be "d" cast would be "c" And then make a seperate screen to bind keys with items, so u can bind a key with a healing potion and press that key to use the potion when needed. Alota times i noticed that when im walking i accidently click those buttons on the bottom and all these screens pop up, its gets annoying too.

Take out the healt values and names above peoples heads, Its kinda unrealistic to see how much hp someone has at all time. Put 2 bars in the left hand corner of the screen, one being for your characters health and the other for mana. Also about the names, just make the right mouse button the examine key so when someone wants to see a name, all they do is right click on the character they want to see.

I think you guys have done a REALLY nice job on this game so far, and it has alot of potential, just need to tweek some small things up a bit. I dont know what your view will be on this but i think those suggestions up there would improve the game alot. There is much to do so far in this game so no rush adding stronger monsters, more land, etc, but you guys should work on tweeking up the game, like adding sounds, adding movement to a character when he/she is standing still (maybe turning its head a bit, and moving its sholders a little to look like they are not still), and little things like that. Anyway great job on this game so far.

binding keys is already implemented (in a way) using CTRL+Click will always Look, using ALT+Click is for attacking rather than looking (I might have those round the wring way) is you were to bind to keys like "c" and "d" how would you chat? :)

why is seeing a persons HP not realistic? surely when someone walks by covered in blood and deep gashes you can safely say that guys not at 100%, since we can't show this in the game health bars are used....

to talk you would bind the talk key to enter or "t", and when you hit that key, the chat would be enabled, disabling all ur other binded key, so now you can type, and when u are finished typing you would just hit the or enter key, which will also enable your binded keys again.

I was about to suggest that the storage depot be improved, and I was thinking the same thing you were; have a depot inventory window pop up, that way you can see everything you have stored at once, and just drag n drop from the player inventory into the depot inventory window. So much better and easier for us, though more work for Ent.

-Velocet

latelyi have gotten a feel that entropy does not like theway the current inventory code acts or something like that. but he is planing something like what your talking about for the storage...

try ctrl (or was it alt) + i to open or close inventory (most likely ctrl), m for magic, w for walk, l for look and so on. fearly easy to figure out. only 2 buttons not coverd are manufacture and one other (dont recall at the moment). didnt use them mutch before and with the new contexts sensitive mouse i use the icons even less...

as for walking, nothings going to change there in the clsoe future i think. get used to it :P

There is no doubt the storage can be improved, however, at this time, there are far more important and usefull things to do first, such as implementing guilds, new monsters, etc.

Even a small change of only listing the categories in depost/withdraw whar can actually be used would be helpfull. Specially for making withdrawls. Just by not distplaying the text for Ores for example during withdrawl would let you know that you have no ores stored, or not showing animal items during deposit helps unclutter that as well.

hmm, not a bad idea. show only categorys that are fitting for what you have in your inventory on deposit and one the ones that have anything in them on withdraw. easyer to spot what you have then...

One improvement that would be nice is a "deposit all" feature. This would deposit all the items in inventory to storage. The storeage interface does need improvement but this (if it is a simple change) would really help (agreed, i'd rather see more time spent on the other items mentioned above). When you want to store deer drops (as an example), you have to click:

NPC, deposit, animal items, deer fur, amount, deposit, animal items, antlers, amount, deposit, animal items, bones, amount.

13 clicks ... ugly.

Another feature that would be nice is a "withdrawal fit" amount. When you are presented the UI for the number that you want to withdrawal, add the choice "Fit." This would withdrawal the amount that would fit into the available space in inventory. This could also be used when buying items too.

Wait a second, doesn't it show only the things you have? or you mean category wise?

categorys most likely...

so that if you have some flowers in your inventory and you hit deposit the flower category wouldshow up but unless you have ore the fitting category would not show up.

same way with withdraw only that when you hit that one it only shows categorys that have something in them so if you have flowersstored the flowers category will show up and so on...

Hmmm...sounds like something that would be relatively easy to implement (?), but that would be a HUGE improvement.