Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
stalker314314

bot idea and approval

hi all,

i have idea to make bot that will occasionally (twice a day, or so) pm trade bots and see what do they have in stock and other players could easily find what bot have some item and its price (via web and/or pm). I think this could be useful for players. Only problems i have now is:

hosting (anyone willing to host it?) and testing (i can't do testing on test server, because of problem's nature - there's no bots on test server)

use case:

[pm to thisbotsname] sulphur

[pm from thisbotsname] sulphur have: tradebot1 (1gc), tradebot2 (2gc)

does this exists already? what do you think of idea? approval?

Such a bot already exists (approved by Entropy) and is in a Beta-Test phase. I'll leave it for the bot's owner to identify it by name if they want to.

There's also a very "spirited" debate in the bot owner's section about the appropriateness of such a bot and it's possible effect on the market.

some people have already tried it. and annoyed people doing so, since they start without asking, etc.

personally, I'm not particularly fond of the idea of strengthening the price competition between bots, it's bad enough already

I suggest the following:

your bot does the polling (inv/wanted) to trade bots in a list (perhaps a subscription based list, so that only bots will be polled where the owner agrees on this). This is for the reason that ttlanhil mentions (people being annoyed if their bot is 'auto-inved' every 30 minutes without consent).

The bot's output goes into a database, which can be queried by web interface like any other database. This would allow you to check outside of EL, as well as making the bot much simpler to code.

as for testing: you can test on the test server polling characters controlled by you or others, that your bot does not produce large amounts of ascii in the chat (resulting in a bootprint on your ass if you would do it on the real server), then ask entropy if you can run it on the real server (after all, all it does is send some text to other bots).

Edited by sithicus