Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KarenRei

Art people: special effects

As many of you may already know, I'm working on hooking in my eye candy system to slowly replace the old special effects system. It's a rather powerful special effects engine that uses textured sprite particles and various particle manipulation routines to create all sorts of effects. It has one capability, however, that has not yet been well exploited: detailed, effect-specific textures and animations. That's what this post is about :)

To any artist who wants to help, this is a request to create textures for particles -- for any effect. Specifically, 2d animations that involve a few frames. Water running down a waterfall. Flickering flames in a fire. Magical whatnots in a spell. Whatever your creative juices lead you to create; if you make it, and it looks good, I'll hook it in. It's certainly not necessary; the current effects already look quite nice. But they have the potential to look even better if artists want to get involved.

What you would do: you would create a series of 64x64, greyscale frames, and give me an idea of usage (framerate, whether it would loop or whether the particle should die after the animation, what you think particles that bear that animation should do, etc). Greyscale, because the particle's color will determine what color is applied to that texture. Keep in mind that usually, unless you want your texture wrapped around a 3d object instead of a particle (which I can do as well, although it takes more work and more video card processing), you should plan on having there be multiple particles with that texture animation. Having just one particle with that texture animation can look a bit odd when you rotate around it in 3d, since the texture stands still; it's a sprite. However, when there are multiple particles and you rotate, they move around each other, granting the appearence of true 3d.

In short: No rush, and it's not something that is necessary for special effects. But, if you're looking for a change of pace, send me a line, and I'll work with you to get your art into the particle systems.

Wait, hold on, don't start anything yet please :omg:

All art things must be checked out with me first. Please don't just go full ahead and start creating things.

First we have to discuss and have approved what sort of special effects are needed/wanted, then make a list.