Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

El item stats

That is a good ammount. Is that heald by players or maximum ammount allowed? eg: players have a total of 250 nmt, and animals can drop up to 101 nmt. :P

Held by players, of course. We do not count the potential items, and there is no hard coded limit about drops.

BTW, with a few exceptions, everyone has a cape (so there are no people with 50 capes).

I feel that having names displayed would be disadvantageous:-

You are open to begging

The element of surprise is lost

If people know what is in your store - they may attempt to hack you.

For those and other reasons - please remove me from the list.

I really like this idea. It could inspire me to have many projects. "Oh look, I'm only 5000 FEs away from the top list......better get mixing!" I don't have any problem with my name being attached either, there are sufficient ways to deal with any problems that could occur: #ignore: a strong password. :)

for those real afraid (paranoid? :) ) here is how to make a strong password :

1. 1 random string
  2. 2 length min 8
  3. 3 combine symbols, numbers and letters

example : Pa$$w0rd123!

If people know what is in your store - they may attempt to hack you.
IMHO, items or nothing compared to the skills of a player. So if someone want to hack an account, I think he will prefer to hack the account of someone with high skills.

But well, it's just my opinion, maybe all people don't think the same way...

example : Pa$$w0rd123!
And avoid a string that corresponds to a word. A good way is to take the first letters of words in a sentence that is easy for you to remember.

For example: this is an example of password => tiaeop

Then mix it with digits and other stuff: T!4e0p :)

I like the top 100 lists with amounts but no names.

That way people aren't asking to be removed and we can see an accurate accounting yet people's privacy is protected, and they can just check their amount with the list to see their placement.

(hee hee i don't have a nmt, i have the perk :) )

i have a question. can you search with one of the definitions being character has to have been logged on at least once in the past 6 months or so.

then we could see how many items are in active accounts. not to be bitchy at all but it isnt quite fair if say chance of EDE is decreased b/c 500 of them is to many in-game but 300 of those are in unactive accounts. i doubt it would be that drastic but just something that was brought up in a discussion earlier

We don't have the capability to search for the last log in time, but we will add this soon.

I don't really intend to rub this in but this would be of course one of the big benefits of a relational database... :) (SELECT item.id, item.quantity, item.username WHERE MAX(loginhistory.login) > $date AND loginhistory.username=item.username GROUP BY item.username, item.quantity, item.id ORDER BY item.id, DEC item.quantity;) (And yes, I'm sure there is a syntax error in there, but the fact that I can type it up in 60 seconds shows the benefits of SQL.)

The guys who invented the DB server did all the hard work, so all you need to do is ask the server for whatever you're looking for. And for something the size of EL I can't see the performance being all that bad. I'm sure mysql without transaction support will be about as fast as whatever algorithm is currently used, and a real database (mysql with innodb tables or better-still postgres) isn't going to have trouble with the number of transactions likely to be generated by something of this scale. Plus you have a lot more data integrity.

Sorry to nag - I work with lots of databases and I find the biggest benefits often come when something comes up which wasn't part of the original requirements.

Obviously the folks who wrote the EL backend know what they are doing. But, when it comes to reporting it is hard to imagine that anybody could come up with something better than an RDBMS on their own...

Also, learner has top 50 to work in last 1/7/365 etc. days, maybe you could use similar process for the top items? :)

Obviously the folks who wrote the EL backend know what they are doing. But, when it comes to reporting it is hard to imagine that anybody could come up with something better than an RDBMS on their own...

Well, obviously, this is the reason why we are doing it.

As I am a DB administrator I have tested some of the avialable RDBMS.

SQLite is not a real database, just a SQL frontend for a file based DB. It is simple, but the fastest available for what it can do. No "real" SQL DB can compete with it.

MySQL is known to be a fast DBMS, but it's a myth. It is fast only if you use the simplest MyIsam tables and nothing fancy in the queries. In that case SQLite is definitely faster. If you need transactions, joins or good, fast indexes, PostgreSQL beats MySQL hands down.

SQL is a good all purpose db language. But it's not that difficult to conceive some different way of data access for specific needs.

So to sum up: you don't need a SQL RDBMS to have various stats, but it probably will be easier to use some for that purpose.

And if you need one for simple queries, SQLite is probably the best choice. If you really need something fancy, PostgreSQL is a good choice, but for some performance penalty. Avoid MySQL at all cost :)

Regards

Chryzopraz

PS.

And from my experience MS SQL sucks, really sucks. IBM DB2 is good, but can't really do anything that PostgreSQL can't. Oracle is very good, but terribly expensive and difficult in setting up and maintaining.

PPS.

I love stats. All kinds of stats :P

Edited by Chryzopraz

What I am interested in is simplicity. I don't need fancy querries, just simple selects. Speed is not a huge factor either.

You can make a pretty damn simplistic MySQL database, in the end, that is. Sure, the basic coding for the database will be time consuming but I'm sure there are many people to volunteer to do something of that sort (I can be of some help).

I'm DBA and I am sure mysql is the fastest rdbms, even more than sqlite

Sometime ago I tested onkeypress event, making a SELECT using the LIKE statement for name search.

So while the user was typing a name, each letter was refreshing a grid. The LIKE statement doesnt use index, since it's a raw search (such: SELECT id, name FROM customer where name like '%ALMEIDA%'). I tested on a pentium 233 mmx against a 13k records customer table, and there were absolutely no delay, even on fast typings. I tested on a very old computer just to be sure people wouldnt have problem using newer machines.

In fact I should be using Firebird instead of Mysql, since it uses transaction, triggers and stored procedures fastly and it's very reliable, but I prefer mysql cause I can integrate the same DB to local applications and to the web applications (we can call mysql the default web database, cause of apache and php)

Who is DB programmer knows how much your life gets easier with triggers and stored procs.

Nothing against postgres, but Firebird behave better in that cases someone said above (and its free also).

I have 2 jobs, in one of them, we use a third party system that uses mysql with innodb (transactional), actually the data are 50Gb, about 200 tables or so and we dont notice any lack of performance: 40 workstations, each one making 2 connections (2 programs) and mysql uses 25% of the processor at the server (dual core xeon 2.66ghz with 4gb ram and SAS disks) running on Enterprise Linux 4.

Now, what makes mysql my favourite one, is the fact u can import/export from/to any kind of file/db fastly and with few efforts.

Other point, people use what make them feel more comfort. I have a friend who uses DBF format (yeah, that very old clipper format) to a 1~2 billions records database and the system runs fine (well, that deserves a big LOL, but oh well...)

I posted this to counter that

Avoid MySQL at all cost

I'm sure less than 5% thinks that ;)

and Finally, to not be completely off-topic, I agree with this kind of top-list Entropy asked :P

I would like a list over how many in game of the items monsters are dropping, I think there are far too many of them in game.

At the moment do I train mchims, got 170 tit long swords in my storage, never use them and inpossible to sell.

Same with true sight and evasion pot books.

So hard to make money this way.

Can I ask for number of NMTs ingame?

And now that they have been destroyable for a few weeks?

Prolly more then the 351 since people dont use them in fight except for a few braves ones like myself ;) Btw got 1 NMT destroyed , Ent owns me 200k :(

So far 3 NMT destroyed and 5 new ones entered game as far i know so 353 NMT *maybe*

I would like a list over how many in game of the items monsters are dropping, I think there are far too many of them in game.

At the moment do I train mchims, got 170 tit long swords in my storage, never use them and inpossible to sell.

Same with true sight and evasion pot books.

So hard to make money this way.

When people abused the TS book NPC bug no one was complaining the excess of books in game :(

But about the books, ive made a suggestion to increase rarity to rostogol levels , got 0 replies so i guess most ppl are , unfortunately, happy with this situation.

Another "problem" is some people train a lot of hours day and so is normal to get lots of drops, but in average most train 1h or 2h day and wouldnt be fair to make drops too rare so they wouldnt get none all time. Its a complicated subject to our god solve ;)

my training habits include many days with no training, but when i do train its for about 4-5 hours a day for up to a week, then a week or 2 with no training.

dont know if that helps any at all, but i havent been seeing the drops i normally do, i sell most my wooden hammers and iron hammers to trik so i dont think there is to much coming in from them and you can always make gc from selling to NPC. you got it for 'free' from monster so NPC doesnt matter if its a 'loss' of money

Edited by Happy_G

No npc buy tit long swords or true sight and evasion pot books, that mean that they just stay in peoples storages.

And that some people train 6-10 hours/day don't make it better, more money spent on SRS/HE , more money needed to buy and a storage full of useless swords/books - impossible to sell.

What I would like was less of this items dropped or npc that buy them.