Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

El item stats

AFFECT, not EFFECT!

It really pisses me of, so learn when you use affect and when to use effect (same goes for except/accept and other stuff).

Sorry about this - I'm not a native English speaker, so some grammatical errors are to be expected, especially when there is only one letter difference, and the words belong to the same family (one is the verb and the other is the noun).

Back to topic - may I ask what other data is collected in your database/files? For example - are you able to know how many FEs were made by each player every day? How many flowers did a player pick in a certain day? How many people and creatures were killed by a certain player? How much money did a player get from drops?

I think it would be at least funny to see stuff like who is the "victim of the day" - the player who got killed most times in the past 24 hours, who is the "slayer of the day" - the player with the highest numbers of players kills, "Mother Nature's target" - the player who lost most HP from harvesting events, "the luckiest player of the day" - the players who found most rare stones, and so on. But again - it's all based on the kind of information you collect in your database files.

Edited by smalul

I love stats (Rankings page is my favorite)

so I wait for this page-list

and wish that it will have many details and "search options"

not concerned about the privacy issues , (hope you find a nice solution) ,

but for numbers and more numbers :D

as those tree mushrooms are not really important yet:

Yet? YET???? And I have to read this right after I give all my TM shroomies away? Oh no, I think I'm going to make the list of top 100 bad decision makers :D

I like stats, and like some others here I'd be interested less in top player lists and more in item lists and ratios.

It really pisses me of, so learn when you use affect and when to use effect (same goes for except/accept and other stuff).

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/gra...g_spelprob.html

of

1. Belonging to or associated with. When applied to a person or persons, the possessive is generally used.

off

1. In a direction away from the speaker or object.

He drove off in a cloud of smoke.

The book fell off the table.

2. Into a state of non-operation; into a state of non-existence.

'Of' and 'off' are two very different words. Perhaps you should have checked your post before being so critical.

Oh, by the way, you should learn that "s/he" does not produce he or she.

Go refactor the server source please, "s/he" really pisses me off :D

Edited by Placid

I think it would be at least funny to see stuff like who is the "victim of the day" - the player who got killed most times in the past 24 hours, who is the "slayer of the day" - the player with the highest numbers of players kills, "Mother Nature's target" - the player who lost most HP from harvesting events, "the luckiest player of the day" - the players who found most rare stones, and so on.

if this is possible, then it would be very interesting; it would be difficult to decide when the 'day' ends and the recount starts. one question i have is that, does everything have to be public in order for ent to see the data set. there are somethings that i'd love to make public; some not so favorable.

Go refactor the server source please, "s/he" really pisses me off

the moment you say refactor and factor... then you are saying s/he does produce he or she. in this case we can say that s/he is the factor group defined by S*he where S is the set {e , s}. then we get she or ehe=he since e is the identity. just a math joke here. :D

'Of' and 'off' are two very different words. Perhaps you should have checked your post before being so critical.

That was a typo, and typos are acceptable (to some extent). As for the "s/he", that is commonly used, and it does produce he or she.

As for the "s/he", that is commonly used, and it does produce he or she.

True, but I think most any case of "s/he is/was" can be replaced with "they are/were" making it cleaner and more readable ("she is" -> "they are" or "he was" -> "they were").

So for example:

Mother Nature got pissed off at bkc56. As such, s/he lost 10 health.

becomes:

Mother Nature got pissed off at bkc56. As such, they lost 10 health.

As for the "s/he", that is commonly used, and it does produce he or she.

True, but I think most any case of "s/he is/was" can be replaced with "they are/were" making it cleaner and more readable ("she is" -> "they are" or "he was" -> "they were").

So for example:

Mother Nature got pissed off at bkc56. As such, s/he lost 10 health.

becomes:

Mother Nature got pissed off at bkc56. As such, they lost 10 health.

It's a plural pronoun. The above example would be incorrect. Even though it is commonly used this way, it is still incorrect. The only time you can possibly get away with it is when you are using an indefinite pronoun such as "somebody" "someone" or "anybody" etc. In these cases, we have a specific name and a known person "Mother Nature got pissed off at Aislinn. As such, "they" lost 10 health would be incorrect here.

That was a typo, and typos are acceptable (to some extent). As for the "s/he", that is commonly used, and it does produce he or she.

No, you're wrong; trust me. If you literally expand "s/he" it translates to "s" or "he". Apparently (according to Wikipedia) British troops during the Second World War used the slash to abbreviate words but in your case it would still be wrong (for "s/he" to be grammatically correct according to this usage, it would have to be "S/H" - still wrong, however).

As for the item stats, I think it's great you've put some work into it. Knowing what amounts of items you have is a prerequisite to determining the state of the in-game economy.

It's a plural pronoun. The above example would be incorrect. Even though it is commonly used this way, it is still incorrect.

I agree it is grammatically incorrect, but in the web-reading I did (quick Google search) it seems to be preferred over s/he and it is clearly much more readable (very obvious if you read it out loud).

No matter which way you select it's either going to look stupid or have grammatical errors. Given that, I'd pick the choice that reads/sounds cleaner (which s/he doesn't).

I also suspect that for those people where English is a second (or lesser) language, they'll have an easier time understanding "they" than they will with the non-word s/he (or even the full version she/he).

But enough said. I doubt anyone is going to go edit the text files so it really doesn't matter.

I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious and I do realize that there has to be a reason for the status quo, but maybe it would be possible to split that up into two seperate sentences.

The server does know if the one that caused the event is male or female after all.

I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious and I do realize that there has to be a reason for the status quo, but maybe it would be possible to split that up into two seperate sentences.

The server does know if the one that caused the event is male or female after all.

What if write thing as :

"Mother Nature got pissed off at Kabuya, who lost 20 health" ?

(Sorry its off-topic)

Great idea of having top lists, but I am inclined to agree with those posts advocating the lists without names being mentioned. Whilst unlikely to be included on any top list myself (with the possible exception of top AFK-having-to-deal-with-the-kids), I can see the possible irritation of players having to constantly deal with the inevitable "free st00f" PMs.

Regards,

Matty27

Sounds like a good idea. Sorry if this was asked before, but where and when will all this info be viewable?

(i didnt feel like reading 5 pages of posts to see if somone had asked this, i am so lazy i know).

Some more lists i wont be able to get a place in lol

It's a great idea it would be fun to see how much things there is in the game and how much someone has in sto :D

Wow, I am quite surprised at the top gold coins list... with only 23 people currently who have more than 1 million gc and 5 people with more than 2 million.

I was wondering if you guys would be interested in posting some top 100 in various items, together with the quantities. For example, top 100 richest people in gold coins.

So what do you think? If you think you are part of the top and don't want to be there, let me know and I will remove your name. Post here if you don't want to be in the top 100 richest players.

Well, that might be one way to get gc out of circulation! Everybody with tons of them will just horde them. Some argue that the Forbes top-100 list has had this effect on philantropy IRL.

Another upside is that people with lots of gc and also lots of rares in store will sell their rares on the market, increasing trading volume (to get gc to boost their ratings). Downside might be that rich people will stop buying stuff from newbies (hoarding) - making it harder for new people to sell their wares.

And to the guy who commented that flat files are faster than databases - I say yes ONLY in the circumstance where you want to access the data exactly in the way in which the files were originally designed. Nothing beats SQL for flexibility (subqueries, joins, etc)... And you also have to consider speed of query design as well as speed of query execution - if it takes me 2 minutes to create a complex SQL statement and you 2 hours of debugging in C++ to parse a ton of flat files, I'd say my design is faster even if yours executes in 20 seconds compared to my 45 seconds.

Well, obviously, the EL server saves the flat files (they are binary, btw, not text) in the same format that it needs, so they are significantly faster than databases.

And I would rather spend a few days to debug some code that is as fast as possible, than be lazy and write unoptimal code.

I love list.. thanks entropy, this is simply cool to see where one stand.

By the way for privacy. just use current privacy setting and put dummy place holder for name. I am a database person. let me know and i can probably write sql script to display data.

-Darky

That's good to know, because my SQL knowledge is very limited (I know how to do simple selects, and stuff like order by, limit, etc.), but no fancy stuff such as "select this as" and things like that.

Fortunately Learner is better at SQL than I am, but if I'll ever have a question, I'll let you know.

P.S. We are using Sqlite, which is not that advanced as a full SQL server (for example, it doesn't have a date/time data type, so I had to 'emulate' it by using text).

Sure it will be a pleasure to add some value here. Also mysql is very easy to setup and run if you like. Provides full sql functionality. Things like joing two tables and displaying data based on condition are very easy in SQL. Although for reporting purposes it is always a good idea to run the script, generate the output and then publish the resulting flat files. Mysql may need more cpu for running then sqlite.

-Darky

Edited by darky