Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ignoble

Gamma control under Linux/Beryl

Hi,

any linux users out there with a clue as to why the gamma control in EL doesn't work when using beryl as windows manager. Everything is fine if I switch back to my "normal" manager.

Cheers!

Thought I'd try asking this question again now that more people are using Compiz/Beryl. I have exactly the same problem with not being able to alter the gamma correction using compiz-fusion as I did back in March with beryl. Anyone got a suggestion other than not using compiz as windows manager?

I have exactly the same problem with not being able to alter the gamma correction using compiz-fusion as I did back in March with beryl. Anyone got a suggestion other than not using compiz as windows manager?

Confirmed.

My guess is that due to CF being an OpenGL desktop it is over-ridding the gamma. Remember that adjusting the gamma in the game window will adjust it for the whole screen.

Thanks for that Torg; sounds reasonable, if a little annoying that I have to swap windows managers :icon13:

You shouldn't need to swap Window Managers. Have a look around in the CF options and doco for gamma controls, and remember Google is your friend!.

With my video card OpenGL doesn't work well under CF, so I even don't bother :cry:

CF _is_ OpenGL. It's a 3d Desktop and the only major 3d library for Linux is OpenGL.

I think what you mean is an OpenGL app on CF doesn't work and there are many reasons for that. There are lots of rendering issues still existing as well as a much larger amount of graphics RAM required to store the textures for each window in the cube etc.

Yes, I meant OpenGL applications don't run well with CF.

OpenGL does not get redirected, it runs on top of it, so moving opengl windows etc works in an odd way. But the main problem is, clicking with mouse on an opengl window causes window to flicker, that is the major problem

HI guys,

I have exactly the same problem (that Ignoble has) and found out that you can change gamma for the whole desktop, included EL, using the nvidia-settings utility. Don't know if there's a similar tool for ATI cards, sorry.

Rehdon

HI guys,

I have exactly the same problem (that Ignoble has) and found out that you can change gamma for the whole desktop, included EL, using the nvidia-settings utility. Don't know if there's a similar tool for ATI cards, sorry.

Rehdon

amdcccle does control gamma, and

xgamma -gamma x.x

in a console window also controls gamma, but be careful how you use xgamma, from what I remember, its effects can vary wildy, depending on your card and driver.

Edited by Tonmoor

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this