Eternal Lands Official Forums
peeper :)

Can't get on EL since i changed to Vista [SOLVED]

Ok well i changed to vista today and tried to log onto EL.

It goes into fullscreen then loads.

I go to login menu and type my user and pass.

It loads 3d objects etc..

EL closes.

Anything i can do? :blink:

see if you can get drivers for your graphics card from the manufacturer (or possibly omega drivers, if appropriate), ones that are designed for vista.

also, system info? anything in error_log.txt? do you get a crash message (does vista have these?) or does it just disappear? when exactly does it go? middle of loading, right at the end, etc

no error log, no crash message it just disappears

I seem to be logged into EL for about 0.5 seconds then it just disappears

I had XP a few hours ago and it worked perfectly :)

Ok got this in error log:

[12:46:19] Error: Can't open file "./particles/moon_bubbles1.part"

but thats it

Vista is not yet ready for games. I mean, some games work fine on some computers, while others don't.

BTW, if you post a problem, FFS, post system info. Without system info this thread is totally worthless.

Guest poena

Unfortantly my husband and I had to format and put XP Pro on his new laptop. Vista (like mentioned above) is not ready for games. Unless you want to play solitare. :o Maybe Bill will get his **** together and get busy with videocard manu. and get openGL implemented again. It's actually worked out for the better. I know they say Vista "learns" what you do and preloads programs based on that into memory for faster loading etc.... But Windows XP runs so much better on this new laptop (and it is getty up, alienware).

Just load WinXP and you'll be good to go (don't forget to spend the next 5 days downloading updates, lol). We just plan on loading vista when it's been out for a while and drivers are where they are supposed to be (videocard wise). The omega drivers didn't work on ours (we have an ATI). Not sure what model.

Edited by poena

Well you can enable OpenGL on your computer (if you have an ati card) when you disable the aeroglass look I read. Don't ask me how, but google might tell you. I searched on it some months ago while vista was beta and I read that OpenGL doesn't work properly with aeroglass enabled.

It's supposed to work fine with Aeroglass (well, except for some speed hit). But not all the drivers are ready for it, so it's better to just use XP for the time being.

Ok exact same prob with XP but I've lost all the drivers for my graphics card and XP doesnt even detect it so I don't know what graphics card thingy i have :( so getting drivers for it wouldnt do me any good because it can't detect i have a card :D

Help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the help so far :D

Edited by peeper :)

When your puter doesnt detect the type of card you have is the best time to look for drivers for it :D. At the very least it can't hurt.

S.

ok downloading drivers from the website, Dell sent me an email while ago with links, should be on tonight i hope :D

hey peeper, if that doesnt work you can identify the card from the numbers and words on the card though you will need to disable it in device manager before removing it, if you have to do this and your not sure what to do send me a forum pm and i will guide you through it. good luck

or better still just write everything down thats on the card, all the words and numbers and send me them and i will find you the download.

Edited by LOOTER

The core of windows vista issnt new. Its based on Windows server 2003 and is fully compatible whit most games. Im running Vista Ultimate 64bit. The most unsupported version of vista. I got it running to.

U need to go to el.exe, right click it, go to compatibility tab, under settings mark the last 3 options.

After that you need to disable dreamscene (moving backgrounds).

Now it schould work nearly perfect.

problemgz1.jpg

This is what it says when I execute el on vista... I "currently" use an Ati Radeon 9200SE Family graphics card(will buy a new graphics card in 1-2 weeks) and Ati didnt make vista drivers for this card. The reason why el shuts down 0.5 seconds after it loads is because of the graphics card isn't it?

Edited by Chimeran Wolf

No, actually, those features are not supported by your graphic card (it's an old one). I guess Vista doesn't run with Aero on it, right?

If so, either switch back to XP, or get a better video card, they are cheap nowdays. I recommend an Nvidia GS7300 or higher.

I found some info about OpenGL on Vista in Wikipedia (Windows Vista):

Games or programs which are built on Vista's version of DirectX, 10, will not work on prior versions of Windows, as DirectX 10 is not backwards-compatible with DirectX 9. According to a Microsoft blog, there are three choices for OpenGL implementation on Vista. An application can use the default implementation, which translates OpenGL calls into the Direct3D API and is frozen at OpenGL version 1.4, or an application can use an Installable Client Driver (ICD), which comes in two flavors: legacy and Vista-compatible. A legacy ICD, the kind already provided by independent hardware vendors targeting Windows XP, will disable the Desktop Window Manager, noticeably degrading user experience under Windows Aero. A Vista-compatible ICD takes advantage of a new API, and will be fully compatible with the Desktop Window Manager. At least two primary vendors, ATI and NVIDIA, are expected to provide full Vista-compatible ICDs in the near future. However, hardware overlay is not supported, because it is considered as an obsolete feature in Vista. ATI and NVIDIA strongly recommend using compositing desktop/FBOs for same functionality.
Additional information is avaiable at OpenGl.org website:
OpenGL hardware acceleration is handled in exactly the same way in Windows XP and Windows Vista - through an Installable Client Driver (ICD) provided by graphics card manufacturers. Without an OpenGL ICD installed, Windows XP and Windows Vista both revert to rendering OpenGL in software on the CPU rather than using GPU acceleration.

I guess Vista doesn't run with Aero on it, right?

Right...The card I'm using ATM doesnt support DX9 anyway... :icon13: My mainboard supports AGP graphics cards and I'm thinking of buying a Sapphire Ati Radeon X1650 PRO GFX card. And I guess I will download its driver on ati's webpage where that catalyst thing is.

Sapphire X1650 Pro

Well I upgraded my graphics card I bought a Nvidia GeForce 7600GS Sonic

and got my RAM up to 768 from 512...Now I can run aero and vista downloaded an update for that card automatically from the internet. However el doesnt work as usual... So I went to the website of nvidia manually..now I'm downloading drivers from there... I'll try el again afterwards.