Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Discuss the different visibility system here

this new visiblity thing is a powerfull thing ..... after 4~5 feet from any 1 naked , i could not see him , tried it with a friend .....

well am only 4 perception , like most of player , and i will not add/reset coz of it, coz p/c & nex are more important than resoning & instinc (perciption attribute) , but may add some stratigy in pk (through pots)..

i have a suggestions :

Assassin armor (like black ninja ):

that limit what you can hold , and have some disadvantige , make the player cant see u untill 2~1 feet <------ OMG what !!!~~!!!1!! , but that would be cool :)

FMA

Keep in mind that PK'rs will probably start finding perception to be more important, wo they can see potedntial targets sooner.

Kudos

The visibility effect and use of the perception cross attrib is very cool.

I have two suggestions;

1) - How bout a torch that increases ur night vision but also ur visibility (ability to be stealth).

and

2) - What about having creatures have different perception lvls so that you could use creatures lack of night vision (maybe Cyclops) against them almost like a night time mm perk. eg. The Chims would likely have very hi lvl of perception.

Those are very interesting ideas, and I also have a lot of other ideas of my own.

But keep in mind that this systemw as added today, after not a lot of testing. Yes, right now it is minimal, but things will change soon.

I think I'm confused... (so, what ELSE is new?)

I thought that the visibility system was based on light levels, shadows and that sort of thing. But I've got NPCs and Bots on the White Stone map vanishing from a distance of just a few steps in full daylight (about 1:30 which would seem to be about "high noon" for the EL clock). That doesn't seem right. I'd think I should see everyone in full daylight as if the system wasn't turned on yet.

I did not notice the problem around Raven/Storage, but I did with Safe/Havn and Peaceful/Havn (55,564) and with Lord Luxin (38,713).

Well im honest... I didnt liked the idea since i heard of it :o

But still some constructive stuff..

I didnt noticed much problems so far except that i had it a couple of times that its

different when a player/npc/bot/monster dissappears even at the same ingame-time.

The optical aspect didnt convinced me too so far, the monsters just popping out of

nothing looks a bit odd. Maybe Using the invisibilty effect to make em from full invisible

to totally visible the closer they come to you?

Well i guess you will find a tweaking for my too cents ^^

Scorpius

#Edit: Typos

Edited by Scorpius

For now, i dont like it because it's very difficult and frustrating to train during the night with 4 perception.

But it work well ;-)

I'll wait for night vision helm or some device like that before putting any pp's in reasonning.

hmmm... as an idea ...

0-4 perception =lousy visibility

5-8 perception = medium visibility

9-12 perception = good visibility

13+ perception = hawkeye

Ikaris

PS <personally have 7 perception ... so not trying to cook the books in my own benefit>

Edited by Ikaris

People may like it or not, but the question is how many will spend PP to get perception higher (except for those who already did it, for unknown reasons, before the update) ?

hmmm... as an idea ...

13+ perception = hawkeye

Ikaris

PS <personally have 7 perception ... so not trying to cook the books in my own benefit>

13+ perception ?? thats 22 pp "i guess" in resoning or instic ...... most newbies ppl dont have that on phy or coor ..... i guess 8~9 must be maximum * or even 7 as u have :o *

am afraid that if it was like u said ..... ppl will start making alt characters as an "scout"... to help them in training "with an mm cape in a non-pk map"

FMA

Maybe time to introduce some new items, like hawkeye medallion (personal) or staff of light (groups, guild and allied members) more perspective and vision in night, rain or fog.

And how about changing the vision (or skills) of different races. Draegonis have better visions, because they are taller. Dwarves are better miners (+5 harvest skills). Gnomes are better in manufacturing. etc.

But then this is maybe belongs to another forum-topic.

13+ perception ?? thats 22 pp "i guess" in resoning or instic ...... most newbies ppl dont have that on phy or coor ..... i guess 8~9 must be maximum * or even 7 as u have :o *

am afraid that if it was like u said ..... ppl will start making alt characters as an "scout"... to help them in training "with an mm cape in a non-pk map"

FMA

That is having one of your characters helping another and will get you into big trouble with the mods! We have locked & banned chars for things like that, even just having an alt watch the entrance to KF while the main is logged off on the other side.

FMA

That is having one of your characters helping another and will get you into big trouble with the mods! We have locked & banned chars for things like that, even just having an alt watch the entrance to KF while the main is logged off on the other side.

That "scout" won't work anyway, if you are on pk you have to know what isa round you NOW not 15 sec later/earlier . Anyway good work with this system, i have to say i didn't like it when i saw it on Radu's site, but now i see i was wrong. Erything is more...interesting ;P For example, I was on Pk at night of course, and i didn't see nobody there, then I saw chimmy next to me, that was suprise ;) Only what i don't like are cycs when they hides in shadow and i have to lookiing for them >,<

13+ perception ?? thats 22 pp "i guess" in resoning or instic ...... most newbies ppl dont have that on phy or coor ..... i guess 8~9 must be maximum * or even 7 as u have ;) *

FMA

i know its illegal , i was just pointing an abuse that might been there , coz afaik haveing an alt playing in the same map @ the same time is not illegal .... and training spwns are very widespread .....

but anyway , am training on big ugly smelly one eye cyclope for a while .... if we played hide and seek , i will own k :o

You will want to have a perception of at least 15 if you want to see everything at night, except for those with sophisticated camouflage.

Regarding the bots/players that dissapear during the daylight, can you post additional details? maybe with a screenshot?

Regarding the bots/players that dissapear during the daylight, can you post additional details? maybe with a screenshot?

If I can get a useful screen shot later I will edit this post and add it. But what I saw was basically this:

At White Stone storage (among trees with shadows that may or may not matter during the day) Bots, NPCs, and normal players would be visible to the edge of the screen when zoomed fully out. They would not flash in/out but simply scroll on/off screen as I moved closer/farther from them.

The Bots and NPC I mentioned above (both standing in open areas) were not visible until I got within a few steps of them at which point they'd flash in (just appear as if by magic). I could make them appear/vanish by taking a step closer/farther. This was between one-half and one-third the distance I was getting at storage. That is, my ability to see was less than half as far with them in full sun and open terrain as with the NPC/Bot/People at the same time of day among the trees (again, I have no idea if trees matter during the day).

If more information is needed, please PM me or catch me in-game and I'll do what I can to provide more details.

Edit: the images posted by Morphisor below show the same sort of behavior I saw (so I won't bother to try and capture any)

Edited by bkc56

hmmm... as an idea ...

13+ perception = hawkeye

Ikaris

13+ perception ?? thats 22 pp "i guess" in resoning or instic ...... most newbies ppl dont have that on phy or coor ..... i guess 8~9 must be maximum * or even 7 as u have :) *

FMA

keep in mind that 22 pp gives more than perception, if in reasoning it gives dexterity and rationality, importantly reasoning gives dex without giving reaction, so it is good for training.

Anyway, I was wondering if the clothing choices we set in the beginning will effect it... because I have a rather conspicuous white shirt :(

Personally I still have not noticed any difference, I trained through an entire night in carmien manor, and I had no problems seeing the ogres at fairly long ranges (as long as I ever saw them) I did notice a difference in how quickly I spot harvesters, so I was again wondering, does sitting effect it?

Lastly you said that animal size, color, etc will be taken into account, are snakes and rats going to get real hard to hunt? (maybe we could triple the number of spawns and make them very hard to see, in RL hunting green snakes in green grass isn't easy)

--Duck2

As far as I can tell caves and underground areas (WS underground) are not really affected. I could see everything at the very edge of my screen. They may have disappeared one tile before the edge but that didn't affect anything really at all, and I'm not even sure of that.

You will want to have a perception of at least 15 if you want to see everything at night, except for those with sophisticated camouflage.

Only Poppop has that perception :)

The clothes are not taken into account, or else everyone would wear black

exactly what I wondered, if black was the best color, glad it isn't that way

As far as I can tell caves and underground areas (WS underground) are not really affected. I could see everything at the very edge of my screen. They may have disappeared one tile before the edge but that didn't affect anything really at all, and I'm not even sure of that.

My experience as well, I have noticed outside now, but not inside/in caves.

--Duck2

I reset one of my characters and pushed her perception to 15 to really see what this attribute does. It's great for hunting and spotting monsters way off. As Entropy said there is a problem with NPCs/bots vanishing in the day time at close range. One major problem I have (but probably not so bad for people with better video cards) is my frame rate was already bad before, now that I have to tilt my camera up all the time to make good use of the stat my frame rate goes to pot. While I know the frame rate thing will probably never be fixed I think the perception effect could be stronger. Perhaps making it account for innanimate objects and landscape as well as players/creatures would be cool, if nothing else it would be an easier way of helping the frame rate thing. All in all it's a worthy stat now.

(edit: the #arm command now includes information on perception. The first number is basically your stealth rating determined by what you wear, ie: each piece of basic leather armour adds 3 to that number and makes you slightly easier to see. What does the 'Perception Bonus' refer to?)

Edited by Balewind