Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ambrosius

Break rates

After playing a few MMORPGs, I'm hoping that some day someone will develop a nice MMORPG with no apparent numbers. With combat and progression, but no predictable experience output, so you can't effectively train, you just do stuff for fun.

Great idea. I think it would be like Dungeons and Dragons versus a free form RPG system. I don't know how it would be possible to implement a free form RPG on a MMORPG with hundreds of players, but still, a great idea :dry:

I think that something that mixed Dartmud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DartMUD), with more randomness, EL/UO pvp looting and graphics of course (because MUDs are exhausting) could maybe work.

Anyway, our only hope to see such a game is if it comes from hobbyist developers, like Entropy, becuase it's a bit too bold for a company.

Unless I am mistaken there has Always been a choice of either making GC or making Exp in this game. It is merely a side effect of this choice of playing that has produced the effect that if you pursue the one, then it is to the detriment of the other.

imho I think if you expect the uber pr0 exp rates then you should expect to pay thru the nose for it.

Absolutely right.

After I came back about 1 month ago I was like "wtf my armor breaks like a candy o.O". Almost everyday something was broken :dry: I asked some players what's going on, if break rates has been changed or something.. and there were voices that they also break a lot of items.

@Ambro: I also don't like, when my items break, so although my stats and attributes raised I am trying to find a ballance between exp and profit by using a sword.

btw. from what I know you got like 2 times more nmt capes than me, so you still are at + I think. (over 20k yetis here and only about 7 nmt capes :cry: ) So what should I do and say, when many players around get nmt each ~1-1.5k yetis while I am getting 1 per ~3.5k ? =/

True Nita, i cant complain about the income i get from Yetis.

Its just frustrating to degrade (and later destroy at Tankel or Heavybeard) so much + it takes away a good deal of the profit.

I mean: degrade a tit plate and 2 yetis later it gets destroyed :SS........damn back to store to get a new plate......back at spawn (after waiting cuz smby else took it).......shit COL degraded........leave spawn again to go to Tankel......ops COL destroyed. After this waste a lot of time to find a new COL.....ok got a new COL..back to spawn....damn etc, etc......get the picture? :omg:

I dont think degrading

-2 tit plates

-2 steel greaves

-1 COL

-1 tit shield

in approx 4H monster training is / should be normal......its annoying to say the least.

You are totally ignoring THIS:

Besides, I've seen how you guys train, and the game wasn't really designed to train like that.

Besides, I've seen how you guys train, and the game wasn't really designed to train like that.

So Chimz and Yeti arent for training? :)

That is new for me. A lot of those monsters are on non multi maps tho...so they cant be teamed either...they are decoration then? (no offence) ;)

So Chimz and Yeti arent for training? :)

That is new for me. A lot of those monsters are on non multi maps tho...so they cant be teamed either...they are decoration then? (no offence) ;)

Isn't that like the first thing I said on this topic? O.o

And I guess, Entropy could always make those maps multi now and set a couple spawns at a close range to eachother and to top it off, make sure the Yeti/Arctic/whatever just ignores MM and levels, it always attacks. Then make sure those maps are PK too.

I'm sure it would take away some action from the Yeti, unless people start guild training sessions, so PKers can't kick you out easily and noone gets a multi from 3 or more Yeti, cuz I think most of you have ICD and that could turn on you, I suppose.

Anyway, I should be quiet before I give Ent too many ideas and screw people's training. :)

-Blee

P.S. Btw, I was kind of thinking, sometimes I wonder why you guys post about this. You get better drops and money then any other person in the game, are more able to afford things like the plates/cols/etc, so I don't think you should post if you lose some, I think its only good that if you gain more then others, you lose more then others.

Well for me it isnt really about the money (altho 260k in 4H is a big ouch).

Its more about the hastle to get new armours / COL and the having to leave spawn.......they arent so easy to get (both spawn and items)......i waste a lot of time on trying to find new stuff / finding ppl who can make those armours / COL.

Does break rates have to do with a/d or p/c of a what you are fighting? Cause I have never broke stuff on rabs/beaver/rats etc.

Well, im not a developer but from my experience the stronger player/ monster is, the more s/he/ it can break if u fight it.

And of coz if player has big a/d and low atributes( especially p/c) he doesnt break u that much, thats why its so easy to suck exp from reseted players even if they r 20a/d higher than urself.

Same with monsters, yetis r 125 attack lvl, but they do more dmg than any player ingame, thats coz they have very high phys/coord= might(probably a lot of phys and not so much coordination but thats only my gues:p ).

I will give u another example, compare feros( a105) and desert chimeran wolf( a100).

Feros gives better def exp but breaks less coz of not so high p/c( feros also makes less dmg and doesnt hit as often as desert chim).

eMPi

Edited by masterpiter

many months ago, when yeti was first introduced, you all said you'd need 140+ a/d to train on it, yet you train on it with 120~ a/d.. you should expect losing items, and btw most yeti trainers are VERY rich

Show me some1 who isnt 140 or who doesnt have at least 4 neg perks and can box yetis ;) Afaik only ppl with ~p60c100 or higher have some comfort on yetis(barehanded).

Vitality r0x? I was fighting barehanded yetis with like 48/92 of p/c and 18 vit. :) Nienora did with less coord, but more phys at that time, and she kept doing that for a good time.

Well, im not a developer but from my experience the stronger player/ monster is, the more s/he/ it can break if u fight it.
Well, accordingly to a post from Entropy in one of the many threads on this same subject, the break rate is related to how frequently you get hitted, not how hard the monster hits.

So ye, stronger monsters/players usually hit more often, but sometimes it isn't true.

Ah crap, I never thought I'd have to say it. But I think Cyp owned. O.o

-Blee

Ever heard of the anti perk?......yes?

Owned ;)

Good..... that means i have to annoy other ppl to buy stuff for me....i rather buy stuff from players then

Edited by Ambrosius

Would a solution similar to what the harvesting skill has (you only get exp for the first 120 item u harvest) work for attack and defense? Maybe you would get exp for the first 30 monsters you kill in the hour or you get exp for only 15 minutes of any hour you train (in case ppl start healing their monsters or train in PK)?

Would a solution similar to what the harvesting skill has (you only get exp for the first 120 item u harvest) work for attack and defense? Maybe you would get exp for the first 30 monsters you kill in the hour or you get exp for only 15 minutes of any hour you train (in case ppl start healing their monsters or train in PK)?

People will hate you for this suggestion, but it's another thing I'd like in a MMO.

Guest ohmygod

Isn't that like the first thing I said on this topic? O.o

And I guess, Entropy could always make those maps multi now and set a couple spawns at a close range to eachother and to top it off, make sure the Yeti/Arctic/whatever just ignores MM and levels, it always attacks. Then make sure those maps are PK too.

Ent should make all maps in game pk cept IP.

Back on topic:

You just had some bad luck i think Ambro. You can make nice profit training yeti but sometime shit happens and you break more than you make. Was nice when item drops were better, then you could earn extra gc to buy the special armours and weapons not just buy replacement armours.

People will hate you for this suggestion, but it's another thing I'd like in a MMO.

Pretty sure they will, lol. But I bet Ent would even lower the break rate for items if that was implemented :(

Guest Lunatico

Pretty sure they will, lol. But I bet Ent would even lower the break rate for items if that was implemented ;)

i hate you :( maybe something similar for the mixing skills to? ;)

Would be very cool if u wouldnt compare getting exp at very high risk of dieing( training on yetis) to getting exp at noone risk( harvesting).

120 harvest exp limit is the only thing that makes afk harvesters r not oa 200 by now :(

I dont wanna say harvesting isnt hard skill to make, especially at high lvls, its just very different from a/d skills ;)

eMPi

Would be very cool if u wouldnt compare getting exp at very high risk of dieing( training on yetis) to getting exp at noone risk( harvesting).

120 harvest exp limit is the only thing that makes afk harvesters r not oa 200 by now :(

I dont wanna say harvesting isnt hard skill to make, especially at high lvls, its just very different from a/d skills ;)

eMPi

Well, the point is exactly disencourage training and people stopped seeing leveling as an objective in itself, but a simple consequence of playing the game.

But of course, most MMORPG players enjoy the progression, so it's kinda hopeless.

eMPi

Well, the point is exactly disencourage training and people stopped seeing leveling as an objective in itself, but a simple consequence of playing the game.

But of course, most MMORPG players enjoy the progression, so it's kinda hopeless.

I agree with Piter, harvesting is not the same as attack/defense training, that's why I was thinking of not only implementing the exp restriction by itself, but also changing other key items to training a/d, such as how often the armor breaks, add to that possible changes to the cooldown on specific items (SR's, Dis Rings) and you would have a game that is not only about hogging a spawn to level, but also about social interaction and maybe even rping a bit.

I think most of the players that keep leveling non-stop are doing it out of boredom or obsession. Most of them do not have any fun while doing it. It's more like work to them.

Not true...i mostly find it relaxing to train a bit and meanwhile chat with ppl / guild after a hard days work. And when i do get bored i just go do smth else (read: PK :( ).

*EDIT*

ok, you wrote: MOST

Edited by Ambrosius

But making a/d exp restrctions aswell as making all maps pk now would make almost imposible to get a/d like top players already have, like it isn't very hard already. Unless everyone would have to start from begin, but I doubt anyone want that.

Edited by Desertus