Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Client new file format test

We just finished switching to a new file format for the client, which should be faster than the previous one. We are also using compressed files now, which means much faster load times, and less hdd space taken.

However, we need to do more testings, so here are the instructions:

1. Download http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_133_install_compressed.exe

2. Install it somewere else, not in your EL folder!!!

3. Delete the file mirrors.lst (we included it by mistake)

4. Run it from the folder where you installed it.

Now, the objective is to see if there are any problems, such as weird looking objects, crashes, stuff like that. Try to determine if this client is faster/better than the normal one.

If you see problems with this client but not with the old one, take a screenshot, and post the coordinates/map.

You can use it for the main server.

There is no Linux version yet, since this is just a test.

P.S. Please monitor the download speed, and post it here (only if you have broadband please).

P. P. S. There are two exes, if you have problems with one, try with the other.

im only getting 7kb/sec dl on 3.0 dsl.

also u said to report stuff for new client but i getting some wierd stuff using the current

wierd.JPG

some errors on my log...

(im sitted in PV storage only mixing LEs)

[22:40:02] Error: Can't load 2d object: ./2dobjects/ground/grass7.2d0

[22:40:02] Error: Can't load 2d object: ./2dobjects/ground/grass8.2d0

Ok, I forgot to copy the 2d objects, thanks for reporting this.

You can fix this by copying all the *.2d0 files from your original EL install ./2dobjects/ground/*.2d0 into the test installation.

I think he means he has cable/broadband thru a wireless router.

120-130KB/s (1M connection)

***the game is installed and it crashes as soon as i log on

Edited by rachie

5-15kb/sec not sure of conection im on my laptop off of a wireless router (not my internet thats y i dont know )

ill have it DLed in about an hour

Edited by Happy_G

I downloaded the test client (opps, forgot to watch the download speed) and noticed a few things.

Bug 1

This is a graphical problem with the edges between land types, best described with a couple pictures (old client, new client). This is Aeth Aelfan in the cotton field around 315,180. The bad form was the same on both new clients.

el-bug-1.jpg

el-bug-2.jpg

Bug 2

A simple off-by-1 problem where the FPS displayed is one larger than the set FPS limit. So if you set the limit to 15, it displays 16. I have no idea which was correct (the limit or the display). Again, this happened with both test clients.

Bug 3

This only happened once with the el.exe client (not the elc-e3d.exe one). When started, the window was "broken". I couldn't move it. Any clicks in other windows were "seen" by the el client (so if I was map walking then clicked another window I'd stop walking). The 'X' wouldn't work to close, etc. I wasn't able to reproduce it, but I've never seen this problem with any of the older clients.

All of the above are on a labtop, running Windoze XP-SP1, with a Mobility Radeon 9000 graphics card.

ok, i dont have a bug report right now, just wanted to tell you i tested the old client/new client loading speeds.

i took an alt running on the old client and myself running off the new client.

i brought them both to the boat on WS to IP

clicked the boat with my alt and then quickly switched to myself and clicked the boat. the time difference if any was minuscule for such a small map as IP.

i then clicked the alt over to WS and quickly clicked myself over to WS. i did this 5 times in both directions. everytime i did it my alt made it to IP b4 me but i was clicking him over first so that makes sence. every time i clicked over to WS i got there b4 my alt did (still clicking alt over first) by about .5 seconds, taking in the half a second difference in my transision from alt to myself id say WS loads about 1 sec faster on my machine with the new client than it does the old.

Like I was saying, I forgot to include the 2d objects. No reason to report a bug that was explained.

OK, sorry, I didn't realize that's the problem I was seeing (I didn't know what missing 2d objects implied).

So that just leaves the other two little items.

BTW, the map load times are faster with the new client. I'd estimate 2x-3x faster for my particular configuration.

Bug 2

A simple off-by-1 problem where the FPS displayed is one larger than the set FPS limit. So if you set the limit to 15, it displays 16. I have no idea which was correct (the limit or the display). Again, this happened with both test clients.

I had the same happen to me. Set the FPS limit to 27 but it showed at 28. That's the only thing I've noticed so far that isn't working properly.

This client loads a couple seconds faster for me than the old one (from the time I click Login, it's 2-3 seconds faster loading). Map changes are only about a half second faster in general.

I'll update this post if I find any other problems.

not sure if this is a 2d object problem, but i copied mine over like learner said to in order to fix that, so as long as that worked that shouldnt be my problem.

noplantreflection.jpg

old client/new client

edit and i checked bkc's bug 2. it happens on mine as well

Edited by Happy_G

averages 250kb/second on a 2 meg broad band connection (it took about 2 1/2 mins to download)

Can not even get it to run on my system.

I usualy have trouble when a new cliet arrives and have to edit config before before loading. However I can not seem to resolve the problem this time.

Problem: Client loads, Entire screen goes black, el flickers back on, then entire system reboots.

System:

Processor: Intel Pentium D 2.8ghz

Ram: 960mb

Display Adapter: ATI Raedon express 200 256mb (on board card card)

Edited by Thyralax

10Mb/s cable broadband

34 seconds to download, 1097.37KB/s (>1MB/s)

Will edit this post as and when I discover bugs.