Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sithicus

system resources usage

When I try to browse besides running EL, usually it works but sometimes the browser takes ages to load. When I set the priority of the EL.exe app to below normal, everything immediately loads and works fine. This all happens without a measurable loss in playability. This is not so much of a problem (i have a fix after all) but rather an observation of performance issues.

This is to be expected if you don't limit your frame rate, basically you are allowing EL to use all resources.

Changing the FPS to a number (mine is set to 12 usually) means the game takes up negligible processor usage (between 5%-20% according to task manager currently) and is a one time only change.

With 18-24 fps you can train pvp, monsters, go to pk without problems. Also resource usage isnt high. :) Also, you may considere to put into console mode (F1 is your friend) if you are switching from EL to some resource hungry program.

EL isn't single threaded (although the main thread uses most of the resources, the other threads combined wouldn't come close to equalling the main thread's resource needs)

please don't make claims like that

Well, for all intents and purposes EL IS single threaded. One thread does most of the work, the other just like 1% or so. Most of the threads are timers anyway.

actually, if I recall it correctly, the music decoding and playback happens in a thread... while it's not going to compare with the main thread in terms of resources, it isn't insignificant either

there may be some room for moving more work into threads; as multi-core systems become more common that may pay off... but for now having most of EL limited to one of several CPUs can be handy so you have some CPU grunt spare (on the other hand, the multi-core chips you can get probably have a high enough base rate that you wouldn't suffer for performance anyway, even if ti was single-core. it's the older generation of CPUs that are harder stressed)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this