Eternal Lands Official Forums
sparhawk

USA committing Human Rights violations

USA vs Inuit  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a violation of human rights?

• yes
    • no
    • unsure

USA violates human rights

Just wondering at opinions, I say it is but thats because I feel sorry for their treatment and I do not like global warming.

The sad thing is, is that climate change is not effecting the rich in first world countries. Instead it is the poorer people in the world who are being hit (and will continue) to be the ones who die first.

Edited by sparhawk

Climate change= USA's fault? I hope they do take it to court, it will never hold up, the climate warmed up ~300 BC, and got cold again ~700 AD, then warmed up again ~1400 AD, these are natural, the amount of greenhouse gasses may effect it, but the amount the US industry add is quite small in a relative scale, volcanos put out more in a few minutes than the US does in several years. I agree they should be careful and improve thier cleanliness, but they are not effecting the arctic, not yet anyway. Filthiness isn't a human rights violation anyway :D As for dieing first... are you anticipating the extinction of humans? :icon13: The ducks shall inherit the planet! :)

edit: FYI I run a eco-friendly duckpond

Edited by Duck2

International Ad Hoc Detection and Attribution Group found that The evidence indicates that natural drivers such as solar variability and volcanic activity are at most partially responsible for the large-scale temperature changes observed over the past century, and that a large fraction of the warming over the last 50 yr can be attributed to greenhouse gas increases. Thus, the recent research supports and strengthens the IPCC Third Assessment Report conclusion that “most of the global warming over the past 50 years is likely due to the increase in greenhouse gases.”

In 2001 the U.S. National Academy of Sciences released a report supporting the IPCC’s conclusions regarding the causes of recent climate change. It stated: “Greenhouse gases are accumulating in Earth’s atmosphere as a result of human activities, causing surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean temperatures to rise. Temperatures are, in fact, rising. The changes observed over the last several decades are likely mostly due to human activities, but we cannot rule out that some significant part of these changes are also a reflection of natural variability

IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report dated 2007, the statement is made that "Most of the observed increase in globally averaged temperatures since the mid-20th century is 'very likely' due to the observed increase in anthropogenic greenhouse gas concentrations." where 'very likely' is quantified as more than 90% certain.

"The world's leading climate scientists said global warming has begun, is very likely caused by man, and will be unstoppable for centuries, ... . The phrase very likely translates to a more than 90 percent certainty that global warming is caused by man's burning of fossil fuels. That was the strongest conclusion to date, making it nearly impossible to say natural forces are to blame."

Cough, glad you aren't ignorant about the enviroment Duck :icon13:

Debates go back and forth as to what is responsible for global warming... people or natural cycles. But there is no denying that it is occurring. It is also difficult to deny that our output of greenhouse gasses speeds up the process and creates other significant human health issues (have you SEEN the disgusiting yellow smog around so many of our cities these day?!?!). Getting the USA to reduce its output of greenhouse gasses would probably help slow the process of global warming. Remember when they said, there's a hole in the ozone layer!! :D And everyone was like, aw crap, we'll all be fried! but then we banned the uses of CFC and such and... guess what? the hole is disappearing :) We can and DO affect the environment, in numerous ways. And changing our methods CAN help fix things.

I personally think we're f****d either way, since if WE dont cause global warming (which, incidentally will at some point lead to another ice age) then natural processes will. We are long overdue for a change in climate, but it shouldn't happen this fast... we think. We are still cooler than is "normal" for the earth (I'm talking geologic-time-line-type normal here) and its quite unusual for there to be TWO polar ice caps. So either way, our costal cities will be flooded and millions of people will be displaced, England will turn to a colder place (London will be like Calgary :)) when the gulf stream stalls, and we'll all die a horrible but fairly quick death when the core of the earth stops spinning :D oh wait.... that was a movie.... wasnt it? :icon13:

Cough, glad you aren't ignorant about the enviroment Duck

Ducks aren't the most learned species on the planet, that distinction goes to people, and you just admited your species may make mine go extinct...

Anyway, I don't nessacarily believe everything an international commision says even if does have 30 words in its name, they still don't know what they are talking about, a lot of scientists back a lot of silly things, much of it will be proven wrong eventually. In the mean time we have to put up with their silly nonsense. Not many of you will agree with me, that is fine, but I am a very untrusting person, I am uninclined to believe it just because some guy with 1 earned degree and 62 honarary ones says it.

If it's going to be a human rights violation, then place the blame on elitist hollywood liberals and hypocritical politicians like Al Gore who pollute more in one private jetliner flight to one of his "Fight Global Warming" brainwash festivals then my whole family does in a whole year. And buying "Feelgood about my self" credits from some wind farm doesn't alleviate the fact that he uses hundreds of thousands of gallons of jet fuel (which winds up in women's breastmilk btw...) flying around the world telling people who can barely scratch a living wage about how THEY are killing the planet. What nerve.

Well...i voted no, because you can't blame us government for that since, in this case large corporations defines politics and not vice versa... and my guess would be that if some politician might try to change that he'll be history... so, i'd be much easier to blame the government for that if industry was nationalised...but i guess this is the price you pay for maintaining capitalism and "democracy" in todays world.

It all would be much more simple in good old-fashioned socialsm...but without greedy, powerhungry leaders that ruined it and made it look bad in the past...

EDIT: spelling...hope i removed 'em all (errors that is)

Edited by skodarap

USA violates human rights

Just wondering at opinions, I say it is but thats because I feel sorry for their treatment and I do not like global warming.

The sad thing is, is that climate change is not effecting the rich in first world countries. Instead it is the poorer people in the world who are being hit (and will continue) to be the ones who die first.

well, i dont think anyone like the idea of global warming, what are we all gonna do? pack our crap and move to the moon?

and forgive me if im reading your post wrong, but isnt canada a first world nation?

and just for personal info, yes maybe i AM doing a survey, lol, do you or anyone in your family have a car? *cough*pollution*cough*

and it isnt just the US's fault, has anyone asked the 20 zillion peeps in china about it?? :omg::hehe:

I personally think we're f****d either way,

of course we are!!! :sneaky:

So either way, our costal cities will be flooded and millions of people will be displaced, England will turn to a colder place (London will be like Calgary :devlish:) when the gulf stream stalls, and we'll all die a horrible but fairly quick death when the core of the earth stops spinning :D oh wait.... that was a movie.... wasnt it? :)

yes it was! excellent movie too! :fire:

well, i dont think anyone like the idea of global warming, what are we all gonna do? pack our crap and move to the moon?

and forgive me if im reading your post wrong, but isnt canada a first world nation?

Canada is a first world nation, however the Northern part of it is extremly poor and backward. The homocide rate is eight times higher than the Nations average.

But what I had meant in the post was not just the Canadian side, but in the rest of the world. Places like China and Africa (esspecially).

and just for personal info, yes maybe i AM doing a survey, lol, do you or anyone in your family have a car? *cough*pollution*cough*

Im 15, and can I control what my parents do? Apparently air planes make up a collosal amount of green house gases...

So either way, our costal cities will be flooded and millions of people will be displaced, England will turn to a colder place (London will be like Calgary :D) when the gulf stream stalls, and we'll all die a horrible but fairly quick death when the core of the earth stops spinning :D oh wait.... that was a movie.... wasnt it? :)

yes it was! excellent movie too! :fire:

:omg: Ok, first I wanna clarify Sparhawk's post about Canada's North... There are certain parts and certain communities which are very poor and whose peoples' lives, way of life, etc. are being extremely adversely affected by global warming. I dont think the homicide rate has anything to do with it though :P perhaps the suicide rates are telling in some places but... well, anyway, a lot of other communities in Canada's North benefit financially from the new explosion in diamond mining and other resource exploration and exploitation.

Annnnnyway, what I really wanted to say was, dude, LaNora, The Core was a GREAT movie!! :D My friends and I got smashed and went to see it, has to have been one of the funniest movies of all time! a bunch of them in the petrology class that year asked the prof if they could do a project on the validity of it... not the whole, drilling into the core of the earth in a giant phallic symbol, but, u know... the core of the earth stopping ;) And The Day After Tomorrow kind of rocked too :) it wasnt as excessively hilarious, but it suuuure had its moments :icon13:

Hey, 'The Core' didn't win an Oscar. 'An Inconvenient Truth' did. Let's all go to a screening in the EL viewing room, shall we?

As far as I'm concerned, everything my pristine, god-loving bogus two-party government does violates human rights. I could rattle off examples going back to the Mayflower and Plymouth rock!! Our international skullduggery didn't start in earnest until the 1880's, but hasn't stopped. We even treat first world Canadians like crap. Here's a relatively conservative example: Canadians Fault U.S. for Its Role in Torture Case - New York Times

We still regularly persecute and keep beneath our heel the few remaining native people who's land we took. Not to mention the people we kidnapped and brought here as slaves. And what was big in the news lately? The cute little white girl with a 5 week case of hiccups was finally cured!! That'll help the atmosphere a whole bunch, I'll bet!

This country needs some serious repair!! :)

By the way, Ducks, your migration pattern has been affected, you're flyin' backwards! I also saw one of your cousins paddling around in a puddle of swill next to Rte 59 yesterday. He should still be in Miami for another month soakin' up the good stuff! Ducks have issues too! So do puddles, it should have been frozen solid....

petpot.jpg

Annnnnyway, what I really wanted to say was, dude, LaNora, The Core was a GREAT movie!!

dude?!?!?!??? :blink:

when i pointed out that someone should look at china, i wasnt talking about the poor parts, i was talking about the citys that are so cramped they have no where else to build but up....spending a zillion dollars researching if and how they can build mega skyscrapers...people that had an entire generation of single child familys because the government prohibited having more than one child....

tell me there isnt smog/pollution there, and just on a side note, the united states has plenty of places with no smog/pollution

and trust me, there are poor parts in america too, and since we kinda started the movie thing and it kinda makes me point, lmao, didnt you see wrong turn? lol :ph34r: peeps so poor they went nuts and had to eat passerbys, :icon8: or maybe that was the OTHER thing that caused it :icon4:

when i pointed out that someone should look at china, i wasnt talking about the poor parts, i was talking about the citys that are so cramped they have no where else to build but up....spending a zillion dollars researching if and how they can build mega skyscrapers...people that had an entire generation of single child familys because the government prohibited having more than one child....

tell me there isnt smog/pollution there, and just on a side note, the united states has plenty of places with no smog/pollution

No kidding, in America at least people can change thier minds (and ways) and force the government to change it's ways as well. But in communist china, a few elitists get to decide how society will operate. Good luck getting them to change thier ways to improve the environment. The people are powerless to even have children without being forced into abortions by government agents, nevermind get the commies to reduce pollution!

I bought a much more efficient car, and i telecommute at least 2 times a week. I compost, and grow small crops each year to reduce demand on food infastructure. Not because AL Gore tries to scare people, or because ice 3000 miles away is melting, it's because i believe that I can do better, and as an individual I will make changes of my own free will when i think they make sense. But leftist elitists who want to FORCE and SCARE people into doing things that they don't understand or wouldn't normally choose to do based on thier own conscience are no better then the chineese who force thier fellow citizens into abortions, even if reducing the population may make things better in thier country.

I personally think we're f****d

Well if we don't start to do something about this shit we truly are fucked!

Won't happen in my lifetime tho i just hope the next generation will be smarter then us.

The people are powerless...

no they arent, strength in numbers.

Tell that to the large number of Chineese women who wanted to keep thier babies.

There is enough of them to fill the largest stadiums over and over again.

Our international skullduggery didn't start in earnest until the 1880's, but hasn't stopped. We even treat first world Canadians like crap. Here's a relatively conservative example: Canadians Fault U.S. for Its Role in Torture Case - New York Times

It was extremly wrong he was sent to Syria, even if he was a terrorist you can't just torture them as you please (Ie: Guantanamo bay). Although a large part of it was the RCMP's fault (not sharing all their information and giving wrong impressions). Those are ten months of his life he will never get back, plus they will leave horrible memories and flashbacks. Is it really necessary to torture people to learn the truth?

Edited by sparhawk

While US commits TONS of human rights violations (I won't even enumerate them here), I don't think that the global warming is US's fault.

Actually, I don't believe it is man caused, and even if it were, the world is a global place, with a global economy, so it's everyone's fault equally.

Im with Entropy, global warming is not the U.S's fult. Even if Global warming is mans fult it is not fair to point fingers, and i dont say this becuse i like the us (im canadian).

Tons of other countrys create more pollution problems then the U.S. Global warming is bound to happen, just like a ice age.

I am not a eco freak, i am fine with gas powerd cars. The earth can heal itself.

The U.S has lots of problems but all of the blam cant be pointed on it. :)

True that the US is not the only nation responsible by far, but the topic is US specific.

Plus we have the wealth to do something about warming no matter what is causing it. Of course knowing our style, we'll probably just ship a few hundred snow machines to Africa just to put the snow cap back on Killimanjaro! :)

kilimanjaro-photos.jpg

Im with Entropy, global warming is not the U.S's fult. Even if Global warming is mans fult it is not fair to point fingers, and i dont say this becuse i like the us (im canadian).

Tons of other countrys create more pollution problems then the U.S. Global warming is bound to happen, just like a ice age.

I am not a eco freak, i am fine with gas powerd cars. The earth can heal itself.

The U.S has lots of problems but all of the blam cant be pointed on it. :)

Lol the earth can heal itself??!Try to heal yourself when you're breathing poisonous gas and chewing on plastic bags. All resources are limited on this planet, meaning once you've used/destroyed/abused/wasted them, you dont have them anymore. Yes plants can make more oxigen, water does get filtered over time, but think of all the waste, all the junk that we're producing, where can it all go? Nothing is gained nor wasted, everything transforms, and if you dont keep things as clean as you can, everything transforms in poison and dirt.

Now think of all the kinds of animals that die every single day, all the deserts getting bigger, all the forests getting smaller, do you honestly think we have nothing to do with it??

We used to have ALOT of snow in Romania, i remember digging tunnels through the snow in my grandparents backyard when i was smaller. This year it only snowed 3 days,one day a month. Its horribly hot and dry in the summer and rainy in the winter. I'm not gonna give any other countries as examples cause i've mostly lived in Romania,but am i really the only one who thinks this is only going to get worse?

US is the most powerful country in the world right now, both military and economically. They're using huge amounts of resources, wood, water and mostly petrol. Cars are used mostly for individual transport as many families own 2-3 cars each. I really think its US's responsability to educate its people and limit their "contribution" to pollution. With great power,comes great responsability and they have a huge influence in the world. They could at least give an example of good conduct to the rest of the global villagers!

The most recent research shows that not only is global warming not caused by people, nor carbon dioxide. Unless your CO2 is making its way to MARS!

The intensity of the sun has grown, and has not only caused things to melt here on earth, but the ice on mars (made of CO2 on mars polar caps) is also melting, indicating that it is the SUN that is causing the warmup.

Also, the idea that Carbon is a bad thing in the environment is absolutely wrong. Plants actually do best at around 1000 parts per mil, whereas we are at around 300 - 360 ppm. The core sample records actually show that the current amount of carbon in the air is the lowest on the historical core records for the last 6 million years.

Yes, it may be warmer now, it may not be snowing where you live, but trying to say that people cause it is so short-sighted in the whole scheme of the universe. And trying to use it as a political issue and make yourself rich selling this propaganda (AL Gore) is hella lame.

So to you who would say that the US commits rights violations based on this bunk really shows how many of you are lemmings. Jump that cliff if you want to, but im going to teach my kids not to be afraid of natural occurances they cannot control.

Edited by nicky

Well Im older then some here so I rember that in the 1980's everyone was going nuts that we are starting to enter a new Ice age. Now 20 years latter we are globle warming. this all being bassed on a global change of 0.6 deg change over the last 100 years.

First off do you realy think we had the best records 100 years ago or the best ways to take a temp.

2nd for a true sample of the world temps we need to have acurate temp of the vast watter that covers

the majority of this globe.

Now I'm not saying that what we put in the air is not doing things to all of us but what it is doing we have no real clue

And if carbon emishions is causing Global warming check the facts The US is not the largest producer of them.

If we are warming i don't see it -51.11C is not my idea of global warming that was 2 weeks ago and I'm just south of Canada.

Right now it is still -12.23c and spring is 2 weeks away so still not to warm if ya ask me.

My $0.02 peace

FireBalls

records 100 years ago or the best ways to take a temp.

2nd for a true sample of the world temps we need to have acurate temp of the vast watter that covers

the majority of this globe.

They take the Ice from the Artic and Antartic and they are able to determine how hot it was that year on a global average accurately. Ergo, they are able to to plot the temperature from millions of years ago by drilling.

Now I'm not saying that what we put in the air is not doing things to all of us but what it is doing we have no real clue

lolsgg7.png

lol2qp7.gif

I can't connect the dots either :(

Edited by sparhawk

I havn't looked at this topic since it started, interesting conversation here :)

@mugwump, er... you are aware that kilamanjaro is a volcano aren't you? :) A volcano with magma up inside the volcano... hot magma... I don't see why you think this is a global warming issue, try looking at mckinley, or everest, or mont blanc, you may notice a reduction, but not that drastic

@sparhawk

They take the Ice from the Artic and Antartic and they are able to determine how hot it was that year on a global average accurately. Ergo, they are able to to plot the temperature from millions of years ago by drilling.

hm.. they test to see if the procedure works for the 30-100 years they have temperature records, and then assume it works for millions of years? This is science? I hope you are aware the Polar Icecaps havn't been there for millions of years... :) If they were those plants and dinosaurs they find in antartica must have been tough...

As for the Graphs, are you trying to prove that we arn't contributing? Among the things shown on the graphs... A sharp temperature spike in 1880 with no spike in human polution, a sharp spike in 1940, with a decrease in pollution, and overall a increase of over 14,000% in 100 years, to a temperature increase of .6 percent, or less than a %5 in temperature. I am not convinced that humans will go extinct in the next 5 years :D