Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

For the creators of EL

The problem is that people click way too fast.

With the zoom out to the highest level, you have to click every 3-4 seconds, to walk in a direction. Of course, most of the people clcik 3 times/second, which wastes a lot of CPU time on the server, since the Path Finding is most CPU intensive routine.

I agree with the walking thing...we should be able to click anywhere on the ingame map and then our character will just...walk there ;)  

Wishful thinking...  :P

He never said click on the map, he said click ingame like where you see your char and hold. Anyway the map idea IS good. (In rs it was a saving grace in pking).

Hmmm arow keys in a 3rd person mmorpg?Hmm nah it would be messed up real hard to contral and move around not meaning to pick on your idea but it probaly would not be all that good.

Clicking on the ingame map was my suggestion, Hosan.

So, would it be hard to make it so that when you pressed tab, and clicked somewhere on the map, your char would just walk there? That would be cool imo.

Good idea Guthix i think it would help on those long travels but what if attacked by a goblin hmm maybe like a thing that switches back to game?Who knows still beta but these ideas sould be looked into.

I mean like the home key. That makes you go one step forward. Same idea, just continuous. It should be easy enough to do. It would at least be enough for trips to tree town. It wouldn't take the work out of walking, just ease the clicking. I was just thinking of it to hold us over until ent figures out how to do the map thing.

I don't know the details of the path finding algorithm, but many suffer major performance lose with really long routes as the number of possible paths goes up. This this was done Client side, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but being Server side and lots of people (some doing excessive clicking, see comments), this would put a heavy burden on the server.

Remember that a long path isn't calculated once, but usually multiple times or you will stop walking if something moves and blocks you instead of going around.

screw it! make a command /go 1st makes you go into first person and then u have touse arrow keys to move but u can only use them in 1st person, dunno if this is possible, should be as the zoom feature is almost the same

What Learner said.

First, the path finding algorithm (standard A*) had 1500 nodes. At the beginning it was OK, but as the number of players and animals was increased, that number had to be constantly decreased, so it became now 700. More than 700 nodes is too slow, less can be ineffective (not finding some paths, etc.)

Clicking on the map to move would be total server overkill. I don't know how the RS does it (client side or sever side) but client side path findign has many dissdvantages, such as VERY sloppy movement in crowded areas, a lot more bandwidth taken, more lag, etc.

Thats the longest post ever isnt it! thats the biggest post ents ever done i think, its ussally 1 line wonders, annyway... theres a game called daimonin, its new about 3 weeks old and in a word it suck, There movement controls are all over the place, they use the number keys for movement, but not the arrows, nooo there unusaual 9 was up 1 was down... i think the mouse click is fine, if it aint broke dont fix it :S

How about making it so that u keep ctrl pressed and click somewhere and the character keeps walking that direction untill it gets blocked or the player clicks somewhere? this would decrease the clicking while walking. and relaxes our fingers and u still have the old system of clicking when u need it :P

Ive thought from the very beginning that the constant clicking was eternal land's biggest problem. If anything needs attention in my opinion this is it. I like all the previous suggestions and would just like to make another idea. How about a loop on the client side that when the mouse is held down and control is held down it sends another walk signal to the server every 3 seconds? (perhaps the same for mining and alchemy but every 1.5 seconds or something)

I made this suggestion ages ago but hey... you get that

That's pretty much what i was saying, but without having to hold a key down.

Err sorry didnt read that well :oops: but I didnt ment to hold the key all the time just a combination :) u know something like ctrl+alt+delte