Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Schmurk

Range weapons and heights of playable races

Collision detection for range weapons  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the different races heights to be taken in account during the collision detection?

• Yes, it should be cool to make a difference between races.
    • No way, it's too unfair!
    • I don't care.

I voted no because then all the races would need to be tweaked and be given some advantages and disadvatages. Differences between races? I agree as long as elves have a bonus in archery. But this would lead to creating classes and we all know that EL does not have classes allowing the player to develop whatever skill he wants. I wouldn't mind if this was actually implemented but I would really love if all races had bonuses and minuses making them different but equal!

In the end it should all come to what level in the skill of archery one has! I think that this poll is rather subjective because players that own a smaller character in height will vote for implementing it.

It's just my opinion, and whatever decision the devs will take is fine by me ! :P

Sure, but then in order to compensate give to the bigest races a bonus on Phys.

Why? they have advantage that they can shoot over other stuff like short bushes and players etc..

Sure, but then in order to compensate give to the bigest races a bonus on Phys.

Why? they have advantage that they can shoot over other stuff like short bushes and players etc..

I think the ability to not get hitted is better than to shoot over. In addition, fighters who aren't proficient in ranged skills would all be gnomes (dont get me wrong, i like gnomes). So i voted no.

Oh, and hihi forum. :P

I voted no, because in reality, when you arch, you don't aim for the whole target if you actually intend to hit anything. You aim for a very focused area *in* the target. When you aim for the whole target...you miss...

And I bet the heart is not that different in size between the races!

Tigs

Poor dragon, he would be like arrow-magnet then... :P

The dragon, like all actors in the game, only takes up one space..so it won't be any different except for the heigth.

I voted no, because in reality, when you arch, you don't aim for the whole target if you actually intend to hit anything. You aim for a very focused area *in* the target. When you aim for the whole target...you miss...

Tigs

So IRL you could hit a rat or a tigger the same, so long as you aim in the same general area?

Tigs

So IRL you could hit a rat or a tigger the same, so long as you aim in the same general area?

If you throw a granade or a bottle filled with acid yes. If you use a bow or a gun, no. So most rpgs have an area damage thingie, like EL does with harm summoned.

Anyways, i think i agree mostly with gurgeh, it would be a good idea for a health bonus for taller chars, since they are easier too hit.

I voted yes maybe the draegoni,orchans are easier to hit but maybe they can be more accuarate with a bow while the gnomes/dwarves who are harder to hit have less abilities with it. Tell me what you think

Since the difference between the tallest and the smallest race, is NOT immense, and being small (or large) has both advantages and disadvantages I'm for considering their size. At the end of the day, it doesn't make a lot of difference (gameplay-wise), but adds to the realism and prevents funny bugs/situations.

I voted yes. I find it nice idea, BUT, I keep hoping it's only the first step in making the races differ.

What's more I think that the payble height change should be taken under consideration as well.

Tigs

If I aim in the same "general area" , yes. I wouldn't hit either, which is a point many people don't realize, and I am trying to point out.

When "aiming small" , no , I probably wouldn't hit the same number of times with *those* examples. However, a deer and a bear would be about the same, which is closer to the situation in game for the playable races.

..barring the fright factor, of course.

Tigs

It depends from how far you shoot. At 10 meters, IRL it would make no difference if your target is a deer or a bear. Assuming you are a decent shooter, of course.

However, from 200 meters it would make a big difference.

Now keep in mind that bows are far less accurate than guns (the arrow is more susceptible to wind, the shape of the arrow, etc.).

Tigs, you are dismissing 'human error' and outside factors tht could have an effect on a shot.

Not every shot is perfect, and even if you aim for a small area on a target, chances are that if something disturbs the arrows flight, through the Archers incapability or cross winds (etc), then there will be more chance the arrow hits a larger target, as apposed to a smaller one. Its math. I'm pretty sure you cant argue against that.

It depends from how far you shoot. At 10 meters, IRL it would make no difference if your target is a deer or a bear. Assuming you are a decent shooter, of course.

Now keep in mind that bows are far less accurate than guns (the arrow is more susceptible to wind, the shape of the arrow, etc.).

Now these are both true, very true!!! small human errors and environmental factors definitely multiply a lot over distance. I hadn't realized we were talking about making shots from those sorts of distances. (I don't make shots at distances I probably can't make the shot, but that is RL. At these distances, I couldn't make EITHER shot and it wouldn't make a difference either!!! :P) However, ingame...perhaps it would make a difference, but variable winds, etc would still make such a huge difference I think, that relative sizes of playable characters would be *almost* irrelevant. ( I know whereof I speak...I do regular "clout shoots" of minimum distances of 150 yds. with traditional gear, and being within even 1 yard of the ground target is pretty good) Also, at *these* sorts of distances, bows are shot at an elevated angle (at least traditional bows are.....like a "clout shoot"), and at these distances, except for very high objects, both large and small races should be able to shoot over themequally well.

That being said, it sounds like you are very interested in doing this. I know I am getting very picky about something I know too much about in RL. (Hazard of being a Virgo, I guess :)) You asked for opinions and so I gave mine. But I am certainly not going to have a fit or scream about how it is "unrealistic" if/when you decide to put this in-game. I don't care all that much about "realistic" as long as it is enjoyable, and it would be enjoyable for players either way.

@Tigs: ever been paintballing or something similar? I have, many times, and I will tell you, its harder to hit the short people :P

But my understanding (both from things you've said, and from the way the game works (you can only shoot what you can see)) we aren't talking about 200 meter shots, or 100 meter, or even 50 meter. We probably are talking about shots of 10 meters or less (the distance across the screen when zoomed out). For short shots like these, stuff like wind will have little effect on the arrow's path. And as you said above, at 10 meters some size difference between targest simply won't matter.

@Tigs: ever been paintballing or something similar? I have, many times, and I will tell you, its harder to hit the short people :)

@ atlantis

No, but I *have* played at combat archery...and it isn't for me!! :icon13:

But my understanding (both from things you've said, and from the way the game works (you can only shoot what you can see)) we aren't talking about 200 meter shots, or 100 meter, or even 50 meter. We probably are talking about shots of 10 meters or less (the distance across the screen when zoomed out). For short shots like these, stuff like wind will have little effect on the arrow's path. And as you said above, at 10 meters some size difference between targest simply won't matter.

Of course we are not talking about 200M in EL, I just used that as an example.

However, when we are going to implement the archery skill, we are going to have a high error rate at small distances unless you get some decent skill level, because otherwise things would be too simple for such small distances.