Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Ideas for the "charm" attribute replacement

If perception is going to be used along with the ranged skill then i would leave charm as it is for now.

its been unused for so long it doesnt make a differance and you may implement other skills in the future that it could be used for ( with a name change)

Dont think theres any rush to use it up

How about being able to "charm" animals/monsters so that they follow/fight with you like summoned creatures do?

Edit: could also be used to "charm" away someone elses summons....=-)

Edited by Sphere

Rename it to 'luck'.

Increase chances of scoring more criticals and not being hit (even for projectils, in a 'lucky' way). Also, a very very small increase in quantity of harvesting events and special items made.

Just an idea. :P

How about something like...

Survival

Reduces damage taken by fire, cold, radiation etc.

Like the current toughness, but affecting area damage and damage from magic swords/spells instead of physical attacks.

Would allow a counter for harsher climates and new attack spells in the future. And i think it works quite well with Instinct and Vitality.

I really like this idea as well. :P

The_Piper: That won't be a high enough motivation for most of the players.

Then combine it with your idea NPC's pay more the higher the charm attribute is. And other things :P

(Which would fit perfectly IMO)

int a=rand()%100;
if(a<charm_attribute){
  creature_doesnt_attack=TRUE;
  tankel_doesnt_fail=TRUE;
  shop_really_needs_your_items_and_pays_10%_more=TRUE;
  mother_nature_leaves_you_alone=TRUE;
  the_collapsing_wall_hits_your_neighbour=TRUE;
  acid_rain_doesnt_destroy_your_stuff=TRUE;
  your_pickaxe_doesnt_break=TRUE;
  you_still_fail_making_stuff_but_you_dont_lose_ingreds=TRUE;
  queen_of_nature_gives_10%_more_xp=TRUE;
  the_npc_who_takes_you_to_c2_has_a_good_day_and_charges_10%_less=TRUE;
}

Its a *chance* then that NPC's, Mother Nature, Queen of Nature, maybe even bees would be a little bit more nice to you.

Ppl buy harvester medallion to pray that there is a chance, that it doesnt break at once and they get good xp/gold from it.

Ppl took the artificier perk and were happy that there was an increased chance to make rare stuff.

So ppl may be motivated to increase charm to have a higher chance of being treated better by NPC's/agressive creatures/random events and such.

Well, just my 2 cents :P

Piper

The problem with having this renamed attribute affect the ability to flee is that no one will actually use it. Consider the other attributes, it takes lots of PPs to have an positive effect. Look at how many PPs people spend in P/C.

So, is anyone really going to spend 6 or 8 or 10 PPs to improve the chance to do someting they can do 100% with a dis ring? It's a nice idea as a side effect of other attributes, but I don't think anyone is going to use PPs specifically to increase their ability to flee. I sure wouldn't.

Another idea:

when harvesting events occur the amount (of gold or damage) is increased. More points = more gold, but also more damage on bad events.

kind of a "take the good with the bad" attribute

I thought a origanal idea for charm was for quest...

another thing we can do for charm is selling stuff... like with 10charm you can sell flowers for double thier price. 25 charm trik will buy things for extra 20% and maybe 40 tankel will fix things for almost free? not really worth it but its something. (15 charm could go to c2 on boat for 75gc instead of 100)

can reduce harvest events (already said)

Joker gives better prizes or more than 1

also another idea for perception was able to see invisible people, could be blinking at certain lvls. another was like something shake or something when you get near a item you can use (finding secerts).

Find joker easier?

The krama thing was something the wondering fool did but didnt do anything

charm let u get more gold per monster or /and more gold from gold bags when havest ;o

I like this one:

Survival

Reduces damage taken by fire, cold, radiation etc.

and this one:

charm let u get more gold per monster or /and more gold from gold bags when havest ;o

eMPi

I don't know if this could implemented, but it was there years ago in an other client.

Charm is from vitality and instinct, so what about the more charm you've got the more you could see from the map?

You hear/smell/see better.

It could be in additional to that:

Radu:

"Right now, "perception" is also not used, but it will be used soon for night vision purposes (at night, you won't see as far as at day time, especially if you hide in a shadow). So the higher the perception, the more you can see at night.

Perception could also be used in the upcoming skill, range/archery.

Or we could rename "charm" to "aim", and use it in archery."

Perception increase the view and charm increase what you will see.

Edited by Suessie

Why not change it entirely?

Use it as a cross attribute for developing magic skills further re: mor for true mage thread on the forums. You guys said yourselves it would involve it's own attributes etc to get it moving?

Hm, i like what Empi said, but also i think what ent suggested that charm should be renamed to Aim is pretty nice also.

Well, no matter how much I tried to come up with an idea on what to do with the "charm" attribute (instinct and vitality), I couldn't find any. Originally it was supposed to give you better deals at the NPCs, but this could be abused and ruin the market.

Why not just it like it was meant to be used? Just set the max bonus to 20% (20% more money to sell something to the NPCs and 20% less to buy something from the NPCs). If the max charm level is 178, and that would give the 20% bonus, that would mean you would get 1% price bonus for every 8.9 points of charm. Since I don't think many people would raise charm over 20 (that's 40 ppts), the normal price bonus would be about 2.2%. If you really want, you might set the initial bonus to -1% or even lower (-2%) to prevent that kind of abuse.

I also like the luck idea - the higher the luck value, the better chance to get drops, but I don't think it should effect the making the rare items rate. However, I suspect there is already a hidden luck attribute for all characters (set when they were created).

Worst case - just transfer the charm points to another cross-attribute.

Oh, and by the way - the Player Stats page doesn't show the Perception cross-attribute (but it does show the charm cross-attribute).

Edited by smalul

How is "aim" sufficiently different from "perception" to justify it as a seperate attribute?

A "charm" attribute fills a niche in the character definition, an important aspect in a well-rounded RPG, influencing interactions between characters, NPCs, and other entities. An MMORPG is more than grind/fight/trade, and this should be supported by the mechanics.

Within the current game set, it could:

• NPC Prices? Any bonus or penalty can be limited to avoid economic effects. For example, give the NPC its own charm; if you are over this limit then you get a fixed reduction. Conversely, if you are well below this limit then they won't even talk to you.
  • Monster ignore adjustment? Excellent! This breaks the requirement to take either Monster Magnetism or develop a high defense to avoid fights -- you charm your way out of the situation.
  • PK engagement resistance? Somebody tries to attack you, but cannot because you are "too beautiful". Sucker! As always, the game needs a mechanism to prevent success-through-repetition in these situations.
  • Disengagement bonus? This a bonus to disengage by using the "Home" button or walking away, not the use of disengagement rings. Similar reasoning to the previous two.

Future potential:

• Getting information from NPCs: If NPCs become sources of rumour and information, then the charm attribute is the way to get this information out of them.
  • Limited resources from NPCs: If an NPC has a limited supply of some item(s), then a charm check may be needed to persuade them to sell it to you, regardless of price.
  • Scenario use: Of course; its not all walk and talk.
  • Power of persuasion: Controlling higher level summoned creatures (though this could also be will).
  • Postions of Leadership in Society: Charm could be an important attribute for leadership. When players build their own towns, take over civil responsibilities, then their charm affects the moral of the unseen peasantry. There is a huge scope for charm in this field of play, which have been discussed in depth elsewhere.
  • Required attribute levels: More generally, and at the risk of digressing, attributes could play the same role as nexus for certain tasks[1], giving required minima to attempt a task. This is preferable to required skill levels, since players have to actively choose to develop attributes and nexus, whereas skills creep up over time. So, certain NPC interactions require a minimum charm level, dependant on the NPC?
  • Relationship to Karma: Charm is not karma. Karma should be something you accrue by your actions (whether good or bad), and is a gap in the game for this. But charm could then offset/augment the effects of karma. Particularly for bad karma -- you can be a charming villan and get away with it (imp: "that deed 20 bad karma, offset to 15 due to your high charm").

Losing charm seems to threaten closing the door on developing EL into a fully rounded MMORPG; more than just a fighting-mixing game. It would be a sad day.

[1] Both require pickpoints to develop. Attributes represent principly physical and mental properties of a character, while nexus could be taken to represent other qualities, possibly social or technological awareness or standing, affinity to magic or nature, quality of education.

Edited by trollson

Just an idea,

Why dont translate charm into a charismalevel. This could have several effects on PK maps....

-Summoned Creatures prefer low charismalevel while attacking.

-Check level between attacker and defender. If defender has a certain amount of charismalevels above the attacker, he cannot initiate the combat.

I think people need to remember that this will be an Attribute - ie.

n. at·tri·bute (tr-byt)

1. A quality or characteristic inherent in or ascribed to someone or something.

2. An object associated with and serving to identify a character, personage, or office: Lightning bolts are an attribute of Zeus.

it will NOT be a perk...to be honest, most of the ideas put forward on here have the qualities of a perk.

maybe charm could be used to

1)have less often critical fails,

or

2)have more probability to do an enhaced/enriched item

or

3)increasing slightly the harvest speed

or

4)having less probability to break items

or

5)increasing slightly xp earnt