Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sushi and Tofu

The hunt for the Deathbagger: add to the story if you like it

The trees rustled as a score of arrows whistled through their branches. A small gnome, barely older than a child, sped through the undergrowth, clutching a bag that clacked painfully a gainst his boney chest. Behind him, a crowd of paunchy old men in armor blundered after him. The gnome looked back. They were gaining on him, and it was getting harder and harder to breath. He clutched the bag tighter. What did they need it for? Their now did friend wouldn't need it anyway.

He skidded to a stop, cursing. He was trapped. Stone walls were on three sides, and men with stone hearts on the other. His hand flew up to the ruby pendant hanging from his neck. It had hung their for as long as he could remember, a comfort, his only comfort. He could still remember, running through fields of purple flowers in his homeland. When he was tired he would come to his mother who would hold him, and tell him tales of those who had held the pendant before him. "My Aidan, my little fire," she would say as she held his head in her hands, "One day you will know the truth about the pendant, my Aidan, our peoples hope."

She had said that smiling, before the plague. Aidan could still see it in his head, the dead and dying crawling and groveling in the streets before their last feeble breaths. Everyone had died. Except him.

He squeezed the pendant now, feeling its perfect surface. It was in the shape of a torch, and it hung from the chain around his neck.

The men had blocked off his only escape route, and stood, scowling, with drawn swords. One man, with grizzled, scarred face walked toward him a few steps, then stopped. He spat on the ground, "Should we shoot him or take off his head?"

The men laughed coldly. Some said one or other, and a few said both.

Aidan gripped the pendant even harder and breathed deeply. There was no escape now.

People in the nearest swore they had seen a tower of flame gather above the forest for years afterward. Still no one knew the truth. No one except Aidan.

Authors Note* I'm hoping this story will end with Aidan bringing the last of the gnomes back from the Underworld, so if you add to the story(please do) please keep that in mind. :confused: