Eternal Lands Official Forums
Baloney

Message lines not dissapearing in client

Hi, since I always have to click on "View all" to see the messages that dissapear too fast, i was wondering if there could be a client option so that you can set a number of lines that stay on the top of screen instead of making them all dissapear at (5 seconds?) intervals :

If #lines > set#

Collapse next line as usual each 5 seconds

Else  % #lines <= set#

Leave on screen 

Bal

Yes, but F1 covers the whole screen, and you still have to click or press something to see the last messages. What i'd like is not to have to click something to see the messages, thus the #lines stay alive feature...

Bal

so basically your making a sudgestion that when people spam your screen the messages won't go away and you won't be able to see what your doing???

Bad idea

so basically your making a sudgestion that when people spam your screen the messages won't go away and you won't be able to see what your doing???

Bad idea

Yea duh......

I hate when the Market is up because it spams my screen

Not that good of idea

Because seriously if you wanna see a message look in your chat log or console.....

Bad idea

Actually, a GREAT idea because it addresses just what you're complaining about. You could set the number small (or to zero) and have NO spam on your screen.

An option like this would be as, or more useful for the people who want to keep their screens clear as those who want to keep a few lines up all the time.

??? Well it certainly would be great to be able to change the font size but thats not what he was sudgesting, he was sudgesting to not having messages disapear as fast, or so i thought?

The messages dissapear as fast as they do now, but when there is (for example if you set it to 2) 2 lines left, they stay there until something new appears that make it 3 lines. Then the oldest line dissapears after the usual 5 seconds, leaving the two newest lines, that don't dissapear until something new appears. And since you can set the # of lines, you can set it to 0 and have the actual behaviour... Or maybe the "dying time" could be set so that the user can set the time to something longer than the actual 5 seconds.

Bal.

Edited by Baloney

??? Well it certainly would be great to be able to change the font size but thats not what he was sudgesting, he was sudgesting to not having messages disapear as fast, or so i thought?

wtf, did you read the thread at all? He only wrote like 3 sentences, but maybe you need it pointed out for you
you can set a number of lines that stay on the top of screen
So if you want no messages while not in console you set 0 == no spam; if you are uber-chatter/player then you set it to 5 or so.

#edit: quotes.

Edited by Atlantis

??? Well it certainly would be great to be able to change the font size ...

Font size??? I wonder where you got that...

Anyway, as others pointed out the ability to set the size of the buffer on-screen (the number of lines) would allow people to totally control how many (if any) messages are left on the screen.

The messages dissapear as fast as they do now, but when there is (for example if you set it to 2) 2 lines left, they stay there until something new appears that make it 3 lines. Then the oldest line dissapears after the usual 5 seconds, leaving the two newest lines, that don't dissapear until something new appears. And since you can set the # of lines, you can set it to 0 and have the actual behaviour... Or maybe the "dying time" could be set so that the user can set the time to something longer than the actual 5 seconds.

Bal.

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's handy sometimes, especially when sitting and making stuff for long periods.

I just open up Options, choose the Chat tab and choose "Chat Window". Then grab the bottom right corner to resize it, dragging it up as far as it will go and pulling right to stretch it the width of my game window. Running a font size of .78, it leaves me 5 lines of chat sitting at the top of the screen along with a text entry line below them. The text lines don't move until a message is received.

May be something you could use, dunno. Works fer me. :D

Time to reply to this :P suggestion, finally!

Actually, I made a somewhat similar suggestion 3 years (*gasps*) ago...

Note the pr0 edited screenshot (*swoons*) I made back then! :P

Let's quote'n'compare ('n'merge):

Hi, since I always have to click on "View all" to see the messages that dissapear too fast, i was wondering if there could be a client option so that you can set a number of lines that stay [1] on the top of screen instead of making them all dissapear at (5 seconds?) intervals
Well it would be nice to control the way the messages flow off of the screen just a little bit.

Sometimes you just need a clean screen for a minute, but still want to read the conversations afterwards.

icon11.gifcontrol the max number of lines [2] onscreen (10 atm), e.g. a little dragable icon in the left margin would do.

I never totally got used to the auto flow of messages.

icon11.gif put a little 'lock' icon next to the fps, so you can keep the last # lines onscreen [3].

Something like this: messages.jpg

Both suggestions are about controlling how the chat flows out of sight; the number of chat lines visible [1][2], and the stopping the flow when no new lines are received [1][3].

Baloney's suggestion is about [1] having the ability to set a minimum; so you will always have at least your last x lines on your screen.

My suggestion was about [2] having the ability to set a maximum; a dragable icon in the left margin to "set" the number of lines that will be visible at most, and about [3] the ability to toggle the auto-flow, that is to disable the automagically disappearing of chat lines every few seconds.

(Lock = auto-flow off, so you will always see the last x lines –set by [2] on your screen; unlock = messages disappear every few seconds, like it works in our current client.)

Combination:

Again, I'm thinking about a gui implementation, rather than settings in the Options window.

Instead of a lock button and one dragable icon, we can suffice with only two dragable icons in the margin (let's say two ⇒⇒ arrows or triangles); one to set the minimum and one to set the maximum.

• at 0, at 10:
    current situation - chat auto-flows, maximum of 10 chat lines.
  • between 0 and 10, at 10:
    [1] Baloney's suggestion - chat auto-flows until the set minimum has been reached, maximum of 10 chat lines.
  • at 0, below 10:
    [2] chat auto-flows, but the maximum number of chat lines is lower (less game-play screen cluttered by chat).
  • ⇒⇒ both at 0:
    no chat lines visible at all (for example useful when taking screenshots).
  • ⇒⇒ both at the same position x (above 0):
    [3] "lock" - there will always be exactly x lines visible.

A few notes:

1. The arrows/icons could be made only to be visible when the mouse hovers over the left margin.
  2. Of course there should be a "combinated" icon, for when both arrows are at the same position (not two ⇒⇒ behind eachother like I did to represent the situation in the above examples).
  3. It should probably be an optional setting, disabled by default: Options > Chat > check-box Control Chat Flow.
  4. A second setting in Options > Chat to set the auto-flow speed.