Eternal Lands Official Forums
Mugwump

Compleat Idiot's Guide to Linux and EL with Linux

@smalul

The problem with Linux is there are too many desktop environments (which I call GUIs), and somethings would work with one desktop but not with the other.

Example please?

I don't know any names (yet, I'm new to linux), but there are "desktop based programs".

The problem is that the answer I found on the Internet didn't say all that - it just said to edit the fstab file, so I had to figure all this myself.

Not flaming but, this is a lie. You didn't even need to search the internet, just type "man mount" (it's a manual, so read it).

Where is the lie? I did search the Internet and that is the answer I got. The problem here is that you assume a new Linux user knows how to use that man command (or that it's even there). Also - that manual is way too long for most commands, and you can only read it in the terminal, which isn't very "comfortable".

@Entropy

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. You see, in windows those task window 'buttons' become smaller, while gnome just puts them on two lines, but at the same size.

Why would they become smaller if there is enough space for them to fit? Isn't it better for you to see the complete title of the window?

Because I don't like it on two lines. I like it on one line, and I would rather have them smaller than they are. It's a matter of taste.

Flinto:

Again, I want them on one line, like in Windows. I also don't need bold for the active window, I want it to stand out from the other windows in a more proeminent way.

While both Gnome and KDE have taskbars, I could not make them look like the windows taskbar. What I want is to have a small space between the tak windows on the taskbar, and to have it so that the active window is colored in such a way that it is obvious it's open.

Fluxbox does it and it's just a window manager, so KDE/Gnome probably do it too, don't ask me how though :P

I don't know any names (yet, I'm new to linux), but there are "desktop based programs".
"Desktop based programs" doesn't mean the program won't work on any other desktop (or window) manager, it just means it uses some libraries from that desktop. For example everything run fine under my fluxbox :fire:

Anyway, as fluxbox probably isn't what people who posted here are looking for (just a task bar, a contextual menu, tabbed windows and a slit, nothing else), i won't even try to convince you it's what you should use :P and for the distro, don't even think about gentoo :D

When I had a pentium 233 mmx about 5 or 6 years ago, I used blackbox a lot, was my favourite one cause it was "light" and fast. I think fluxbox its his sucessor, I should try it again :P

@smalul

The problem with Linux is there are too many desktop environments (which I call GUIs), and somethings would work with one desktop but not with the other.

Example please?

Like I said in my reply to you on page 2 you talk stuff you don't even know enough about. On the other hand it would be really strange to expect to know everything. NONE OF US WAS BORN WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF USING WINDOWS. Why is it hard to learn GNU/Linux now?

The problem is that the answer I found on the Internet didn't say all that - it just said to edit the fstab file, so I had to figure all this myself.

Not flaming but, this is a lie. You didn't even need to search the internet, just type "man mount" (it's a manual, so read it).

Where is the lie? I did search the Internet and that is the answer I got. The problem here is that you assume a new Linux user knows how to use that man command (or that it's even there). Also - that manual is way too long for most commands, and you can only read it in the terminal, which isn't very "comfortable".

Setting up mounts is such a common thing that there are zillion places on the net where it is explained to the last detail, you prolly didn't look on more than one website about it.

I still can't believe what I'm reading. So now the lenght of the manual is the problem? I guess if it's short it would be "omg it's too short", this leads no where. I think typing "man <command>" which loads in 1 sec is much more comfortable than waiting for some PDF file to load for 20 sec.

Flinto:

Again, I want them on one line, like in Windows. I also don't need bold for the active window, I want it to stand out from the other windows in a more proeminent way.

Like this you mean

TBsnapshot5.png

I just changed the size of the taskbar from large to small in the configure panel dialogue (right click on task bar)

{edit below here}

To smalul:

Also - that manual is way too long for most commands, and you can only read it in the terminal, which isn't very "comfortable".

just type man:/mount in the konqueror window (requires kde I dont know about gnome) and hey presto the man page is presented as a webpage (or just man:/ to see and be able to navigate the sections). How do I know about the protocol, well there is a little program called kinfocentre and it tells you everything about your running KDE session from the hardware up. Where did i find it, in the system menu. You can create and install new protocols as well

Edited by Flinto

just type man:/mount in the konqueror window (requires kde I dont know about gnome) and hey presto the man page is presented as a webpage (or just man:/ to see and be able to navigate the sections). How do I know about the protocol, well there is a little program called kinfocentre and it tells you everything about your running KDE session from the hardware up. Where did i find it, in the system menu. You can create and install new protocols as well

Thanks, I'll try that.

Flinto:

No, not like that, I am very well aware about changing the task bar size.

Yes, KDE offers smaller window icons by default, as opposed to Gnome.

But I still miss proeminently displaying the opened window to stick out from the others. I also don't like the fact that in KDE there is only like 1 pixel betwen the windows, and I would like a few more.

Now, yes, this is picky, but really, how much would it ake to have an advanced option thingy where you can configure all those features?

That's prolly theme related thing, find another theme you like or edit the current one. Look of active buttons is also theme related.

If you want it all in one line: Right Click on the Panel -> Properties -> Change size to `24` or whatever you like (if it's for example `48` and you have alot of windows open they will go in two rows).

And yes you are picky, Windows doesn't have any of those options you ask here + it doesn't even have 90% of the options that GNOME/KDE have.

We are getting this down to waaay personal details, like 1px or 2px for something on a screen... if 1px bothers you on GNU/Linux I have no clue how you manage to use Windows at all :hug:.

I found an WinXP theme for KDE. I had to do the ever classic ./configure make make install. It only half worked, some icons and menus looked like windows, but what I wanted to look like windows (the taskbar) didn't :/

And like I said, I am picky. I don't know why, but for me such small details really are important. Now, can I live with a taskbar that is like KDE has it now? Sure. Could I be productive with it? Yeah, after a few weeks maybe. Would I ever like it? Not likely.

Hi, sorry to be semi-offtopic, but I am interested in trying out Linux. I'd like to use a LiveCD, the problem is, I don't know how to get/make one. Should I ask our computer guy if he has some? If he doesn't, what should I do? Could someone enlighten me?

Hi, sorry to be semi-offtopic, but I am interested in trying out Linux. I'd like to use a LiveCD, the problem is, I don't know how to get/make one. Should I ask our computer guy if he has some? If he doesn't, what should I do? Could someone enlighten me?

You download an ISO file, about 650-700MB in size. Then you burn it on a CD, but not as "drag and drop" - you need to open it with your burning software, and then tell it to burn the CD.

Entropy:

I have recently (2 days ago), discovered Compiz on my Fedora Core 6 installation. I do agree that stacking is a pain and your comments have reminded me that I wanted to turn it off but I may not bother now. Aside from being a pain to track down how to do it on my installation Compiz has shown me an alternate way.

So you have several windows open and the task bar only shows the different applicaitions not what each is running. Move the mouse to the upper right hand corner. And get a thumbnailish view of all open windows. Like this:

EL on Compiz

You select the window you want to come to the fore or if you select the Desktop all the windows will minimize. Also the windows continue to update so if waiting on a couple of programs one can just leave this switcher view on and watch them all.

If using alt tab, all windows that are open show their contents and those that are minimized show their Icon. It looks like this:

El on Compiz2

Having used these features for a couple of days I have found them to be really good.

If u want a really good distribution u can try sabayon linux.You can download it from here Sabayon.Its a live cd.After that all u have to do is to burn the cd as an iso image not as "drag and drop".A good choice would be to install the mini edition not the dvd.

If u like it all u have to do is this : Installation

The coolest think about Sabayon is that a newbie Gnu Linux user wont have to do complicated things like installing nvidia or ati drivers.3D accelaration is enabled even when u a are using the live cd.Also everybody will be amazed with Xgl or aiglx.Windows vista desktop look's so poor if u compare it with xgl.And yes..xgl or aiglx will be enabled from the first boot!!!With sabayon u wont have to install codecs to watch dvd's or listen to mp3 files.

Also to install the cvs version of el is very simple.All u have to do is to open a console as root and give this command: emerge eternal-lands

Eg: 1.another good distro is Suse linux.

2.Avoid to use gnome :D.Better use Kde or if u have an ancient pc use a lightweight window manager like xfce^^

Edited by agis29

I found an WinXP theme for KDE. I had to do the ever classic ./configure make make install. It only half worked, some icons and menus looked like windows, but what I wanted to look like windows (the taskbar) didn't :/

And like I said, I am picky. I don't know why, but for me such small details really are important. Now, can I live with a taskbar that is like KDE has it now? Sure. Could I be productive with it? Yeah, after a few weeks maybe. Would I ever like it? Not likely.

sorry to be so late in answering this:

but, in answer to your question Entropy, to make the taskbar the color you wish for your theme, you will need to open the taskbar configuration and enable background images for the taskbar, and choose the provided images for the taskbar background. the easiest way to make the start button look like winXP's is to install kbfx and choose an xp theme for it.

as far as the windows however, that particular theme of which you speak has always been somewhat problematic with the window decorations. i have only successfully installed it once and like a dumbass i didn't document how i did it :D .