Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Bots channel

Someone sent me a PM asking if he can have his bot having a channel all by itself, to respond to people. For example, you would say: "@buy efe" then the bot would PM you with the price and quantity.

Now, I don't want one bot to own a channel, we have too many bots in the game for that.

However, I was thinking, would the bot owners and players want a bot channel?

Basically, all the participating bots would advertise there instead of the market channel, and they would all respond to a query like @want fire essences

One problem might be being flooded by 100 bots with answers on how much the fire essence cost. So then maybe there can be a command like: "@want fire essence 3.2", which means that only the bots that sell for that or less and have it in stock are allowed to respond.

So what do you think, would you be willing to implement such a feature in your bot?

And as a player, do you want this feature? Do you have any suggestions? Ideas? Pros? Cons?

As far as the bot owners thoughts on it, look on the private bot owners forum, there is already a thread about it.

I would like this feature a lot. It would keep the flooding on market channel to a minimum and actual players would be able to see more messages. The only true con I see to this is having to split up people's 3 channel allotment. Otherwise it's a very nice idea.

I think its a great idea, I'm sick of all the bot spam on market channel, maybe have more than 1 channel for bots on c1 and bots on c2 to make it more convinient to where you are and what your looking for.

I think it would be great, I wanted to implement this on my bot for market channel but decided not to because it would spam too many people that type "buying x".

It would also clear the bot spam on the market channel, but it needs to be well advertised too so people know about that channel.

the message flood will be one problem... getting people to know about the channel and use it another...

I'm not really in favour of the idea

Someone sent me a PM asking if he can have his bot having a channel all by itself, to respond to people. For example, you would say: "@buy efe" then the bot would PM you with the price and quantity.

Now, I don't want one bot to own a channel, we have too many bots in the game for that.

However, I was thinking, would the bot owners and players want a bot channel?

Basically, all the participating bots would advertise there instead of the market channel, and they would all respond to a query like @want fire essences

One problem might be being flooded by 100 bots with answers on how much the fire essence cost. So then maybe there can be a command like: "@want fire essence 3.2", which means that only the bots that sell for that or less and have it in stock are allowed to respond.

So what do you think, would you be willing to implement such a feature in your bot?

And as a player, do you want this feature? Do you have any suggestions? Ideas? Pros? Cons?

I am a player but I think this would be nice to have :icon13:

Basically, all the participating bots would advertise there instead of the market channel,

This would be bad, most players stay on market channel when they are buying or selling and they would not see the bots posts.

Sounds like a great idea to me, I know some people prefer trading with bots and others with humans, giving each a seperate channel would expidite things for them.

:icon13:

A bot market channel would be a god send. I find the Bot spam annoying on the market channel. When I do use bots, it can be time consuming to PM several bots to get the lowest price. So once again:

:icon13:

well personally I'd like something like that

of course I could "flood" the channel writing "@ want fire essence 30" by mistake or because I want to "play"

or because I want all the prices

=more rules , more moderation...

(just my quick thoughts on it before I go to sleep)

As already stated, there's a thread on this in the bot forum (private area for bot owners).

I don't think bot advertisement should be removed from the market channel. Many bot owners are already voluntarily reducing the frequency of their adds to reduce the spam.

On the other hand, I think a all-bot channel with the bots enhanced to reply to wanted requests would be a huge help to people trying to find things. Doing a "inv" command on every bot in the game trying to find the best price on something is a huge pain (I've personally stopped trying to do it). But being able to issue a single command and seeing replies from all the bots that have it available would be much more useful.

well personally I'd like something like that

of course I could "flood" the channel writing "@ want fire essence 30" by mistake or because I want to "play"

or because I want all the prices

=more rules , more moderation...

(just my quick thoughts on it before I go to sleep)

This is called spam, and we have a rule for that. If players do that, they will get a warning and eventually banned.

Good idea. Bots spam the market way too much. It would be effective as well if it stayed in a lower channel number (the official channel range).

Channel 7 would be good for it :icon13:

as a player not a bot owner i think it would be a good idea. imo id prefer to just type '@buy silver ore' and get PMd by 100 bots then have to individually pm the 100 bots looking to see if any sell and what who has best price. if its used (like i think it probly will be) by people who just cant find what they want being sold on market channel or on the common bots they know, they can type '@buy ___' on the channel and maby a bot or 2 will have what they want, in which case they wont be gatting their screen spammed. or it will be used by the people who want to buy the item to the lowest .0000001gc :icon13: . i guess what im saying is that is wouldnt be for use just by the common shopper.

thats my 2 cents (if ur from europe u do the conversion to euros, im to tired)

~1st

I think it's a very good idea. I have a question though, you said "all participating bots", does that mean bot owners would have the option to advertise on the "bot channel" or the market channel? Or does it mean that if they chose not to use tha bot channel, they would not be allowed to advertise at all?

I agree with redsox that a channel for the separate continent bots is needed if this idea is approved, pointless having a variety of feedback from the bots if the price you want means u have to go to another continent to get it?

As for market #3 being back to players only, it would remove the current boundaries placed by the bots on the pricings there. I imagine that prices will fluctuate far more frequently without constant bot adverts spweing out every hour, since players will then be able to state the price they want for their goods without some bot five seconds later giving out an alternate price and killing the players chances of a trade.

So, possibly better for player driven trade but equally possible that it will affect bot driven trade in direct proportion.

Speaking as both a player who frequents market regularly and also as a very soon to be bot owner.

I agree with redsox that a channel for the separate continent bots is needed if this idea is approved, pointless having a variety of feedback from the bots if the price you want means u have to go to another continent to get it?

Unnecessary, in my opinion. Simply PM the bots with the lowest price for LOC. There is bound to be a bot close by. Everytime I turn a corner I seem to trip over one.

I am working on building a bot my self and having read several of the forums felt a bot channel would be great.

Thinking about the problems that exist with the market channel and percieved spam, maybe a bot allocation of channels would be more appropriate. These could allow for more flexibility to and from bot owners.

My thought as it spills out of my head.

1. reserve 300 through 399 to deal with bot trading traffic

2. Set up the first 8 or so channels to deal with some scenarios(leaving the others until/in case needed)

channel 300 just advertising - Hi I'm Blondie my wares are the best.

301 seridia only

302 irrilion only

303 low cost items (nothing over 2gc/item)

304 high cost items (nothing under 5,000gc/item)

305 everything else

306 everything

399 channel listing, like the rules channel

(remember this is just a rough idea of how the channels could be split)

3. have one public service announcement message every 15-30 minutes directing players to the 300 series of channels for more choice

4. remove all other bot traffic from the market channel

5. loosen up the restrictions for bots to broadcast on these channels - as suggested allow response to questions, more frequent posting, multiple appropriate channel postings

6. as obvious niche areas allow set a channel for it - maybe armour, weapons, ingredients ... like most of the categories we have listed in storage already or differing prices or even a combination of category/price category/continent

At first the idea would be to reduce the bottle neck created by spam, give a place for bots to make them selves known, and help prevent cross spam from items (ie 10 bots respond to 1 item and then 10 more to another). Hopefully this will bring the trades people more easily to the distrabuters and the end customers.

If there are parts that can be expanded upon great if something has a problem in its logic lets hear it.

This would relieve pressure on channel 3, and would be a nice resource for all the people asking "What bot sells/buys x?" Unfortunately, many ppl ignore all the bots to cut down on the ch 3 messages. So, I vote yes for this, from a player perspective only (i.e. I've never owned a bot).