Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
trollson

Use of Weapons

One thing that continues to bug me and others is that the combat system, other than PK, discourages the use of weapons. I'm sure we all know this:

• Experience is per hit or dodge.
  • Therefore longer combats generate more experience.
  • Therefore minimise damage per blow.
  • Therefore avoid using weapons.

Having people fight monsters and creatures bare handed, when they have a perfectly adequate sword in their inventory, just isn't right!

Various attempts to solve this have been discussed in the past. But today another, seductively simple, approach cropped up in another thread.

Weapon have bonuses (or penalties) to attack and defense experience earned.

eg., a weapon may be rated as +3xp attack, +4xp defense; which are applied to each hit and dodge made.

So a weapon may give you more total experience from a combat, even though a bare-handed fight would last longer.

The choice of "best" weapon is non-trivial -- it is not a matter of just choosing the biggest xp bonus, since a larger damage reduces the final total. The defense of the opponent, and your own attributes, should influence the decision.

Greater use of weapons leads to greater breakage and a more natural flow in the arms trade.

A down side may be increased experience from PK, which already uses weapons for quicker kills. The significance of this needs to be assessed.

I am not going to attempt to suggest what level of bonuses would be appropriate; only Entropy has the figures to make that sort of decision.

So what have I missed?...

Greater use of weapons leads to greater breakage and a more natural flow in the arms trade.

I'm not really sure if we need this, break rates are already too high. If natural flow means that you break 10 swords a day what's natural about it?

On the other side, weapons add not only dmg but accuracy, crit to dmg and crit to hit, barehand fight will always be better and give more exp, if it's gonna be same then I choose barehand again, at least you wont break 10 swords a day :laugh:.

I'm not really sure if we need this, break rates are already too high.
This is not about increasing breakage rates, but increasing the use of weapons.

I think it should stay as it is.

Now we can choose: kill weaker monster barehanded or stronger with sword.

Or we can also choose : maximum exp( barehanded/bone fighting) or maximum drop( serp/cutlass) per hour.

And if u think ppl break less dont look at weak monsters with little to noone p/c but check mc or stronger mobs. There r days that i degrade stuff worth 150k gc durining just 1 day of killing( so not training but just killing for drops), lucky for me, its not very often :laugh:

Barehanded training usually means a lot more HE's, SR's used and more armors degraded/destroyed + of coz bigger risk of death. The only( and at the same time biggest)advantage is that u get more exp per hour. And that seems perfectly fair imho ;)

eMPi

I've been using weapons while trainning monsters to get decent exp if my att level is a bit or much behind against my opponents.

using Bones, Iron swords, Iron broad swords, staffs for att exp etc etc...

Just only my thought, Fighting mosters is divided by two purposes.

The one is for killing and collecting its parts/drops. the another is for trainning purposes. (except invasions. alternate, some monsters are for just annoying you ;p)

If your purpose is to kill, take a better sword and kill them. then you get much more drops in a session.

On the other hand, If your purpose is to gain exp, take a certain weapon (or just use your barehands) and face monsters that you train with it.

then you get more exp in a session than "killing" them.

I'm able to train with my barehands now, I get exp yeah but only 2Kgc from Feros in a session about 3+ hours.

and if fighting monsters is for gainning exp, it's about your usage of weapons, your knowledge about the purposes of weapons what you train with.

I already accepted the stats of weapons as it is. when I go to train, I choose weapons what i use or without weapons which is better for me to get better exp.

so again, i think it's about usage of weapons, not about how much exp which weapon gives you.

that's my opinion. (an opinion by much less experienced fighter than masterpiter wexy or any other fighters)

[Edit] I'm wrong, I'm not a fighter but an all time trainner.

Edited by AluminA

i plan on moving on to cycs in a few more def lvls, ill definately be using my weapon when i move to them otherwise i cant hit them enough to make it worth training on

and when i moved from unarmed orcs to ogres i used a weapon, same with my move from gargs to unarmed orcs, there are plenty of times when we need to use weapons to get the best exp we can, ill get more exp using the weapon on cycs than i will fighting ogres bare handed so the use of a weapon doesnt just determine whether you are going for drops or the exp.

Edited by Happy_G