Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Vista

Anyone here plans to use Vista any time soon?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Poll

• I plan to use it in the near future (2 months or so)
    • Maybe in a year or two, I don't know.
    • No way, I am going to stick to XP and then Linux or Mac
    • I am already using a non MS OS, no plans to switch to Vista
    • I am already using Vista

I am curious about what our player plans are regarding Vista.

There might be all kind of incompatibilities with EL, especially with the auto update system and the graphics (the OpenGL support is still lacking for Nvidia cards).

We don't have any plans to make EL more Vista friendly for the next year or two, but if people submit patches that help, we are willing to merge them (provided they do not interfere with the other OSes).

Don't think I'll get it, I think it'd be annoying if my parents found out about the parental control thingy I heard of.

-Blee

P.S. My brother's been running Vista for a while already, so to me it was like it already existed. :happy:

I will be able to purchase 1 copy of vista for $5.00 throught the college, but I will not install it for a 6-12 months. I prefer to allow time for more of the bugs to be worked out before switching over.

My friends dad is a product tester for Microsoft/Windows and he said that Vista is not good. It's pretty much as bad as if not worse than ME. I'll stick with XP.

So who is the one already using Vista? How does EL work in Vista? Does the autoupdate work? Any graphical issues? Any issues in general?

Running Linux here. Been following news of Vista but having purged windows from all my other boxes, will probably only look at it on other peoples machines.

S.

I use Ubuntu, and I'll stick with it for my main OS because I absolutely love it. I plan on buying a Mac laptop when I can afford it. Of course, if I get a new PC desktop in a few years and it comes with Vista, hey, I won't get rid of it, but I won't pay for an upgrade from XP. I only use my XP partition for one game and a few graphics program (the Gimp and I just do not agree).

i should have a copy of vista within the next week from work, after i back up my system and install it, ill download el and let ya know if/how it works.

unfortunately, new computers will come with vista from now on (or maybe progressively for a little while as people clear out old stocks)... and people will assume they have to shell out cash for vista or else their computer will break (no, really, some people think they have to upgrade)

the problem with auto update is that if you get administrator privileges to install the game, but run it as a normal user account (which has been the case for any secure operating system for a long, long time and why it has problems under linux/etc) then auto-update won't have the rights to alter files.

there may be ways around this... or you may end up having to just put in the admin password each time auto-update has to change stuff... we'll see.

of course, there's also the issue that MS is pushing directx pretty strongly, so opengl support may decline... fortunately, EL is far from the only game that uses OpenGL, and if it's not supported anymore there'd be a large backlash... it may take a while before vista supports OpenGL, but it'll also be a while before vista has had enough time for bugs to be fixed and for it to be stable enough for general use.

so, anyone who has it and has problems has themselves to blame as well :P

Yes, that's a big problem, computers coming preinstalled with the OS.

I think this should be illegal (it's a monopoly), especially in the cases where they won't refund you the money if you don't want to use the OS.

Yes, that's a big problem, computers coming preinstalled with the OS.

I think this should be illegal (it's a monopoly), especially in the cases where they won't refund you the money if you don't want to use the OS.

what makes you think it isn't? as part of a package deal, they are making you buy a physical thing (the collection of computer components) as well as a license from a third party.

furthermore, the windows EULA specifies that if you don't agree to its terms, you can return to the place of purchase for a refund

local laws will vary, and either of those may be legal or not legal (in the first case, the forcing of a purchase of hardware as well as a license, which is inseparable, may or may not be legally enforceable), so you'd have to check with a lawyer near by...

the problem isn't the pre installation, it's that: a) the customer isn't told of their options and asked what they want; and :P that anyone believes the packaging and pre installation can be forced

I agree with Ent, I totally disagree the fact that new computers are sold with windows already installed.

Anyway, for me windows is the past and linux the future. I don't have windows anymore on my computer and I will never reinstall it!

And if game designers still don't want to support their products under linux, it's not important, my favorite game already works very well on it :D:P

furthermore, the windows EULA specifies that if you don't agree to its terms, you can return to the place of purchase for a refund

I didn't even agree with the EULA on this computer. I bought it from Circuit City (big chain store in the US), and windows came preinstalled. I didn't have to press on any "I agree" button.

So in theory I don't have to abide to any terms in the XP's license, since I didn't agree with it.

However, next time I am going to buy a computer (Roja needs a new one soon) I will either ask if they sell them without Windows, or if not, we'll order online (from NewEgg or something).

I didn't even agree with the EULA on this computer. I bought it from Circuit City (big chain store in the US), and windows came preinstalled. I didn't have to press on any "I agree" button.

So in theory I don't have to abide to any terms in the XP's license, since I didn't agree with it.

However, next time I am going to buy a computer (Roja needs a new one soon) I will either ask if they sell them without Windows, or if not, we'll order online (from NewEgg or something).

The same thing happens in Poland. Almost all new computers, bought in any chain store has XP/Vista preinstalled. There's of course an excpetion -- notebooks, most of them are sold in 2 versions, with Windows or without.

May advice is always such: buy computer parts, merge your own, custom PC. None of my computers (well, i have just one, but it was upgraded so many times, that I can say it was few) was bought as completed PC. All parts was choosen between quality and performance. Also, none of them had windows.

Speaking about the Vista -- I think it will be like with windows XP at the very beginning. Most of the users/gamers thought that XP has too high requirements, no one wanted to switch from win 2k to XP. But, after time, they all did so. IMO the same thing will occur with Vista. Gimmie a year, and I should have enough fast PC to run vista and all kinds of modern games. I have the vista ready to install, downloaded from MSDAA, it's legal and this is 'buissnes edition', but i will wait till they release first Service Pack (i'm sure it they won't let us wait long :P ), and -- of course -- till i buy some new parts (cpu,gpu,mb and ram).

Oh, and there's another proof for MS monopoly -- almost all new PC games will be realased for Vista, directx 10 will be avialble only for vista users. So if the gamers would like to play newest games in the best graphic they can, they must switch to Vista.

And BTW -- watch this (if you haven't watched it yet) -->

I will use vista when I can get it cheap or for free from my high school (we can already get windows xp and office for free), 599€ or whatever the price is, is way too high :P

When will dx10 force us into vista (and expensive hardware upgrades)? whenever the big titles come out that use it... anyone have a good driver and card for DX10 already?

Edited by sithicus