Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mekelo

World Politics (Was: Beavers!!!)

I'm really hisitant to say what I am about to say after the bad rap I have been getting, but, I feel I must. Stop your bitchin, this happens when people need thousands of beaver furs and ALOT of people are buying them. Also common price is about 5k now, not 1k.

I think the beaver furs thing is one of the smartest ideas I had with the game lately.

This is the best way to circulate the money back to the newbies, instead of just destroying them by giving it to Frukas, for Vitality.

If you don't feel like paying for the beaver furs, then by all means, go get your own beavers. The economy is doing great now, with this change. I know because I am a newbie, and I was able to get myself a lot of nice stuff in 1 week. Previously it would have taken me a month to get the stuff I got now in 1 week.

I don't like the beaver stuff. I think that players should work for their money. You have succesfully killed most of the incentives to raise alchemy/manufacture/harvest. Congrats.

Why should you spend days training alchemy when you can just sell beaver fur?

You don't understand how economy works.

The money don't just fall from the sky, you need to produce them (selling cactus, selling weapons to trick, etc.)

If no one trains alchemy and stuff anymore, then the ones with high alchemy will eventually go to level 20 instinct, and no one else will buy them anymore.

You don't understand how economy works.

The money don't just fall from the sky, you need to produce them (selling cactus, selling weapons to trick, etc.)

If no one trains alchemy and stuff anymore, then the ones with high alchemy will eventually go to level 20 instinct, and no one else will buy them anymore.

Every day there are new people who can make titanium bars, every day there are more people buying beaver furs instead of selling them. Though there will be more people to hunt the beavers again but to get to lvl 20 instinct thats gonna take very long

It is offer and demand. The economy will regulate itself, eventually. I don't think it is bad at all that people have OTHER ways of getting money. Hunting beavers is not that easy, you can't do it while AFKing, you have a lot of competition, etc.

I totally disagree! In a capitalistic system, you usually have a few rich people/companies and the masses are poor. With the beaver furs, the money get back to the poor.

No, this is capitalism. The rich people pay the poor people to do stuff (work for them) and they become a middle class.

Capitalism gives people an incentive to work so that they can get more money, etc. Also, the US is capitalistic, and do you see a few rich people and tons of hobos? NO. There is a low, middle, and high class.

Can I start a debate on this?

USA is one of the few capitalist countries in the world, and it's middle class is constantly declining. If my estimations are correct, in 20-50 years there will be no such thing as a middle class. Of course, it's also a factor of how many shrubs are around the White House...

There are a lot of capitalist countries. Also, international trade is (for the most part) capitalist.

And what does the number of shrubs around the White House have to do with anything?

:?:

I think it was a great idea. It meant that rich players are actually spending their money. Also newbies are able to get money much easier, therefore helping stimulate the economy (such as serp swords :) ). Also in by my estimates, a month, the price will probably be around 1k instead of like 5k, and so making tit bars (my guild leader pays me 20k per tit bar :) ) will be best.

Guest shash

From the viewpoint of ensuring liquidity in game, this idea perhaps achieves it.

However, the side effect is that equipment other than the top 2/3 weapons and armour becomes placeholders overnight - simply milestones for manufacturers for leveling purposes.

From the viewpoint of game balancing and giving new players a sense of progress (and satisfaction from it), maybe it is better to make them work a little harder for the dough. I do hope gamebalancing is handled better in the p2p version.

Just my two cents. Would love to hear your comments.

It'll balance itself out. The newb's who have come to rely on it will get a wake up call once the demand wears down.

BTW there will probably always be a middle class. Sure, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but that's entirely why there will always be a middle class. See, when the businesses try to raise prices for higher profits, slowly the workers demand more money cause the value of money becomes worthless. Otherwise the businesses won't get any more income because the worker's can't afford anything. Anyway, then a dollar becomes the equivalent of a penny, then the economy hits its limit, then we hit a recession and it starts all over again.

Guest shash

I hope you're right Shadow. Well... if it happens, at least we can all claim to have witnessed a boom-bust cycle happening all in the space of a few weeks what it would take decades in real life :D

Anyway, there's a crucial element missing - inflation of goods. In real life, when the value of a dollar weakens, prices of goods go up in tandem. Doesn't happen in EL, which brings me back to my earlier point - lower-cost armour and weapons become useless (other than means for manufacturers to level) since almost everyone can afford a tit short and above after a few days of playing.

Play-balancing is indeed a tricky issue, and I don't envy Ent's position one bit. I wonder if someone can come up with a framework to help Ent analyse EL's economy... I'll try and think of something.

Anyway Shadow, thanks for an intelligent response. :D

There are a lot of capitalist countries.  

Name 3 besides for the US.

Also, international trade is (for the most part) capitalist.

Not quite. It's heavely regualted by the governments.

And what does the number of shrubs around the White House have to do with anything?

:?:

Nevermind...

shash has a point here and I don't think this "boom" will fade of so quickly, because middle players from today will become rich players tomorrow if you know what I mean. It might've been a boost for the economy-system we have now, but on the other side it really made all low to middle-lvl items useless. This is the drawback from the beaver-fur trade. IMHO this is even a bigger problem than economy was before the beaver-fur-boom.

the beaver fur boom is already dying down. those that bought the beavers for the insane price of 5-10 plat each are now pretty much done with them. i have seen beavers not getting sold for 2-3 plat now.

Well we shall see. I hope it calmes down, but still the price is high enough to make it a problem. Besides those how already got the money and the good items won't loose their stuff so soon, since our weapons & armor last 4ever.

So prepare to meet a naked n00b running around with a serp killing rabbits...

The USA's government regulations are a joke. The big companies pay the presidents for their election founds, so when they become presidents, they make the laws the companies want...