Eternal Lands Official Forums
bkc56

Harvest Medallion statistics

I bought one this morning to try it out.

How much did you pay for it (as a single current market-value data-point)?

Cissysauce, thats the random event when you stop harvestin just out of the blue sky.

Since its a harvesting event, it can break the medallion too.

Piper

Gathering data may be more difficult than expected. You must also know WHAT is being harvested. Entropy has already stated that different harvestables have different event rates.

Also, has anyone ever measured the amount of good vs negative events on different harvestables? Flowers do not have cavern walls or radon pouches. True they have bee stings, but I don't remember seeing those nearly as often. (This could go back to the overall event rate though).

I've personally been happy with the medallions. Yes, I've had some that have broken quickly (mostly before the 3% change). But I had one that lasted the entire 3x harv day last weekend as I have posted elsewhere.

Are the people complaining typically those harvesting pickaxe type harvestables? Could this be a factor? I don't think Entropy will tell us, but before making assumptions about how useful it is, it might be important to gather such info. The use of the medallion (what you harv while wearing it) could end up being a strategy unto itself.

Gathering data may be more difficult than expected. You must also know WHAT is being harvested.

Everything you say is absolutely true. Unfortunatelly, no one has the money (to by enough medallions) nor the time (to collect enough data to be statistically significant) to figure that out that level of detail. That leaves us with trying to get a rough idea of the medallion's value based on what people typically harvest. And you're right, it is probably often pickaxe harvestables (although I seem to recall some breaks on things like cotton listed).

Most people will simply run a few test runs (2-6 medallions I'd guess) and see if they got enough gold/experience to be worth the cost.

You had a great experience with one medallion. It wouuld be interesting to see (over time and more medallions) what the average is. After all, 1 good and 4 bads would still be net-loss. How many total have you used since the drop to 3% and have they all broke-even or been a net-gain?

You had a great experience with one medallion. It wouuld be interesting to see (over time and more medallions) what the average is. After all, 1 good and 4 bads would still be net-loss. How many total have you used since the drop to 3% and have they all broke-even or been a net-gain?

1 - I don't kid myself into thinking my success is typical, so if I come across like that, I apologize

2 - I'm on medallion #2 since the 3% drop. In all fairness though, last week I wasn't in game. I came back on Saturday 2 hours before 3x day started. My first break was late the same day (many hours after 3x ended). I harv'd turqoise during 3x day and since then have harvested shrooms for hourly xp and a few logs of wood for beam sitting (and yes, I'm an idiot for keeping the med on with the logs but I keep forgetting to remove it :)).

3 - Turqoise (even without the 3x day) was the most xp events I've gotten. Shrooms while good regular xp seem to be very low event rate. Had one break and probably 2 or 3 xp events on the current medallion.

Question: are those complaining heavy harvesters? (those people who harvest 1000s of ore a day and not just at the 120 harvs for xp)

I mined ~4k iron ore and it has been destroyed.

Got only 150 gc.

Also 3 walls and teleport destroyed it.

Edited by Szatan

I got mine as a gift.

I harved 3 x fruit with it for the full 120 harvs. during that got blessed 1 x for 130gc

Next harv was iron today......the med got destroyed at the second harv round ;/

so total: 1 x bless for 130 gc

The med itself lasted for 360 fruits and 700 iron ores tops.

I have one, which I got for a special discout at 7k on the last Stak. Day. So far, it's lasted about 1000 turq or so (I don't normally store much of it so I'm not exactly sure how much it's gotten me through).

I've gotten approximately 50k exp, and about 600 coins. Not too shabby. However, after seeing the breaking rates, I've decided to use it only on Stak days, when it really gives you a boost.

I think its wasting money for Medallions.

Better make 2-3 hours harvesting and u gotta about 18 000 ~ exp.

Most of us is waiting for something cheap and cool .

If u have luck u can buy.

I wont waste 7000 gc for this medallion (better buy Health essence )

Edited by Mattone

You guys need to learn that there are some Harvestables that give better chances of bonuses. (+gc +exp) Harving Ores with it will just make it break faster due to the amount of damage and stuff you can take. :blink:

I was Harv'ing something y'day, and got 2 Blessings, and 3 bags of Gold, befor I got hit with anything of damage. :blink:

And another one down the edge, but this time i got at least something:

I had it from 01.02.2007 0:00 until 03.02.2007 16:24.

Got 1810 gc and 21620 harv xp from blessings.

Better than nothing :confused:

Piper

21k harv xp? that's, what, a bonus 3-4 harv hours? :confused:

quite a bit better than nothing :fire:

i bought a harv med to test it, and here is what i got :

-1 mother nature pissed off

-5 radon pouches

-4 wall collapse

-2 pick axes broken

-7 tele nexus

-2 bag of gold ( ~300 gc )

-1 blessing ( ~4.4k )

-1 binding stone

i harvested like 240 fruits + 5k coal with it and it got destroyed by a random stop

Got 1810 gc and 21620 harv xp from blessings.

Better than nothing :confused:

Yes, that puts you in the break-even range.

I'm still keeping the summary stats (my post at the top of page 3) up-to-date with all the results being posted.

I still think to calssify people as "Break Even" is based on your estimate of how much xp is worth per gc.

3-5gc per xp for a BONUS is, IMO, absurd. Put a game NPC in that trades 1gc per skill xp and I guarantee you, overnight you will have a huge money sink and people walking with tons of unearned levels. Harvest medallion is a BONUS. You get base xp harvesting. XP perks from the medallion should be not be considered on the same evaluation of xp/gc.

So someone has figured that making helms gives you roughly 3-5xp per gc. So what. How much harvest xp do you get without the medallion per gc? Harvest shrooms sometimes. Let's see, the base cost is uh... no pickaxe, no gloves, hmmm... ok, the base xp is ZERO. So in harvesting tree shrooms your xp to gc investment is off the charts. But no one here takes that into consideration. They want a medallion that will turn out huge rewards. Let's be fair everyone... just like the lottery or the chance to get an uber sword while making regular swords, this is a bonus.

I know someone is thinking that IF I'm right then the harv medallion won't sell much. People will use it on 3x harv day or just for the fun of it. And to those people I say: Crown of Mana. I make/sell a fraction of these compared to Crown of Life. A few people own them (mostly summoners) and have found ways to make it work for them.

This game should be about strategy. Working to find the best way to make things work. Not wanting uber bonuses for little to no effort.

Personally I'm not sure why this thread exists. Are we hoping for a 1% break rate? A 0.005% break rate? When does a chance at bonus xp become over balancing or "too easy"?

Please, explain it to me. What goal is this thread hoping for? Because if it's just people not happy with how it is now and aren't able to propose a reasonable solution, then this thread has no purpose.

Note: this is not an attack against bkc or anyone else specifically but about the topic of this thread in general.

Edited by Ghrae

Well, be honest Ghrae, have you seen a lot of people around you with a med? (Have you seen many people with 10x gold or big blessings?). To be honest I saw no one and i'm harvesting like whole the time i'm on!

Well, be honest Ghrae, have you seen a lot of people around you with a med? (Have you seen many people with 10x gold or big blessings?). To be honest I saw no one and i'm harvesting like whole the time i'm on!

Actually, yes I have. Not a lot, but at least once a day. And considering I just do tree shrooms at the top of the hour for a 3-4 hours a day, that's not too bad of odds.

We've also already discussed how some harvestables have more events. We do NOT know if the events are pure random or weighted random. I suspect that some believe things like ores are weighted random and have a higher chance for negative events over positive events and don't wear the medallion to them.

Again, even if people use STRATEGY and only wear it on uber days (3x harv, scholars day), is it really that bad?

Also, you've not answered the question I posted about what you believe the fix suggestion should be based on this thread.

I have posted it in the very first post of this thread http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31703

Entropy has stated many times that he is not lifting the 120 harv cap.

Your other suggsesting about lowering the break rate still doesn't address the bulk of my comments. Things like making it too easy to get something that is considered a bonus and what rate do you see as a break-even and what should even be considered unbalanced.

I'm not sure I can answer your questions in a satisfactory way, but I'll try. And while this should be obvious, this is of course just my opinion.

I still think to calssify people as "Break Even" is based on your estimate of how much xp is worth per gc.

Yes, it is. I believe experience has value, either in time or in gc. Harvest experience is not "free". At the very least it "costs" the value of your time to sit there and get it. Often that's done while harvesting things you need anyway (ore, minerals, etc) but there's still some value for the experience gained.

It's hard to put a gc value on exp. A couple of us have tried (I came up with 3/gc, CelticLady came up with 5/gc). Other skills might come up with higher or lower values. The point is exp has value and therefore it is possible to determine if something (like a harvest medallion) is worth the value (extra experience) it gives.

3-5gc per xp for a BONUS is, IMO, absurd.

I would agree if it was a true bonus (for example something you got after harvest level 100). But it's not a bonus. You pay real gc (or spend large amounts of time) to get a medallion. There is a real (and IMHO valid) expectation that you'll get enough extra gold/experience to be worth the time/gc value put into getting the medallion.

Let's be fair everyone... just like the lottery or the chance to get an uber sword while making regular swords, this is a bonus.

The lottery is not a bonus, you are gambling that you'll be a winner. Most aren't, but that's expected when you participate in a lottery. A modable sword is a bonus for mixing regular swords. But again, I don't think the experience gained with a purchased item (medallion) as a something-for-nothing bonus.

Not wanting uber bonuses for little to no effort.

No one is asking for that. What they are asking for is a return (in gc/exp) that is in balance with the cost (in time/gc) of the medallion. Otherwise, why have it in the game?

Please, explain it to me. What goal is this thread hoping for? Because if it's just people not happy with how it is now and aren't able to propose a reasonable solution, then this thread has no purpose.

I believe I stated the goal in the base-note: "The requirements are the same: the medallion must be at least a break-even value (in additional gold and harvest experience blessing) or people will not use it."

And, as pointed out, a couple solutions have already been proposed: lower the cost, or lower the break rate. I'm in favor of the second, and I suspect that a break rate somewhere between 0.1% and 1% will be the correct value. A rate of 5% was clearly to high, as is the current 3%. Personally I'd like to see it set at 0.5% and try that for a month (collecting statistics) and see if people feel it's worth it (usage starts going up again).

If the medallion is worth the cost, people will use it more, and we'll see the mixing (and break rates as they are used more) go up in the game. If they aren't worth it (as many feel now) then the rates will continue to fall.

Edited by bkc56

I just bought 5 harv meds from a friend( 5k gc each so 25k gc for these), i hope they will help me to recover fast oa's when i will be after reset:p

eMPi

Well, thought I'd try another at the lower break rate. I've had it a few days & done quite a lot of harvesting on a variety of things. Bought for 7.5 kgc & final result was 1290 gc & 20390 xp. Personally, I feel this is not a good return on the investment, & so I won't be buying another, unless possibly to try on the x3 harvesting day.