Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TirunCollimdus

Landmines and Bombs and other blog stuff

Well if you are going to put them in how about we do it medieval style? Landmines? Ceramic constainers with scored exteriors holding water and magnesium seperated by glass with sharp bits of metal in the top which is shaped to channel the blast upwards. Amonium nitrate bombs could be used as the bombs in the game with several different means of detonation both mundane and magical. Molotav cotails can be made with oil or greek fire and if properly stoppered with small amounts of flammables the fumes there in could also make them good landmines with the proper fuses like carefully placed flint and steel or manganese and some paper. We have alchemist don't we? How about using mercury for poison bombs or landmines if the delivery system is set up right? Well that is enough for explosives. :P

If you are going to do the range weapons with true light maps why not implement perception at the same time and make it possible for people to take blind shots in the dark? :) lol The light maps make perception possible right? Add some darkvision amulets and potions or other goodies. Harvesting could be more dangerous in dark places too. If experince was increased based on difficult of hitting your opponent that would be cool too. You fight the armed orc in near dark and get extra experience for your reduced levels.

Oh and speaking of that how about items in the inventory like torches, lanterns, lamps and the oil to make them burn and lit by FEs or what have you. Well those are my curren suggestions. Hope you like them.

TirunCollimdus

Edited by TirunCollimdus

I think somebody has been watching too many action films lately :)

The game isnt based in medieval times, such bombs, weapons,amulets and other gadgets would bloat up the game file and implementing them would create too many problems and not enough solutions.

I think there are ALOT of things to take care of, like left overs; gods, attributes, harvestables, etc. , before thinking of night vision and such.

Actually Kat the darkvision was in reference to Entropy's blog as well where he was talking about the possibility of implementing percerption in the game if they could get the light mapping to work. If you would rather fight at minuses in the dark when perception gets implemented because you did not raise your reasoning or instinct then be my guest. I did not suggest that the darkvision stuff be plentiful or easy to get a hold of at all. As a matter of fact you could make them rare dragon drops which would be really cool IMO.

Everyone I suggested in this topic was linked to Entropy's blog as just extra ideas for implementation either as extra items or explanations for items put in. I don't understand how or why anyone who plays EL can say the like the game the way it is. I don't understand how anyone can say that things shouldn't change. The game is in beta . We are testers. The game is still in development. We are not here just testing code to see if it works. We are here to help give input into the growth and transformation of a game into something more than it is until a final product that satisfies and audience and the developers is achieved.

If you don't want to test new stuff in EL and you don't have any interest in the game changing then you should not be playing because you are not helping Entropy try to improve the game. The whole idea of EL being free is that we do our part by helping the growth of the game be something positive for players and developers alike. We are not here to tell Entropy when to stop experimenting on his own game. We are not here to tell Entropy 'Hey you are finished. This is the way the game should be so leave it like it is.' Where does anyone come up with the notion that they know where this game should be headed and how it should turn out? We have a say in how the changes make the game enjoyable or not.

We voice that opinion and Entropy decides based on how strong our voice are how he chooses to respond. As we have all seen in the past when people left Entropy let them go. This is his game and it is a good one and it is going to keep getting better and drawing more players whether the current players are happy or not. The game is getting far more complex and requiring far more thought and strategy and yes some changes make things exceedingly difficult for established players. We as testers need to learn to adapt and overcome the changes not tell Entropy to stop making his own game.

TirunCollimdus

Actually Kat the darkvision was in reference to Entropy's blog as well where he was talking about the possibility of implementing percerption in the game if they could get the light mapping to work. If you would rather fight at minuses in the dark when perception gets implemented because you did not raise your reasoning or instinct then be my guest. I did not suggest that the darkvision stuff be plentiful or easy to get a hold of at all. As a matter of fact you could make them rare dragon drops which would be really cool IMO.

Everyone I suggested in this topic was linked to Entropy's blog as just extra ideas for implementation either as extra items or explanations for items put in. I don't understand how or why anyone who plays EL can say the like the game the way it is. I don't understand how anyone can say that things shouldn't change. The game is in beta . We are testers. The game is still in development. We are not here just testing code to see if it works. We are here to help give input into the growth and transformation of a game into something more than it is until a final product that satisfies and audience and the developers is achieved.

If you don't want to test new stuff in EL and you don't have any interest in the game changing then you should not be playing because you are not helping Entropy try to improve the game. The whole idea of EL being free is that we do our part by helping the growth of the game be something positive for players and developers alike. We are not here to tell Entropy when to stop experimenting on his own game. We are not here to tell Entropy 'Hey you are finished. This is the way the game should be so leave it like it is.' Where does anyone come up with the notion that they know where this game should be headed and how it should turn out? We have a say in how the changes make the game enjoyable or not.

We voice that opinion and Entropy decides based on how strong our voice are how he chooses to respond. As we have all seen in the past when people left Entropy let them go. This is his game and it is a good one and it is going to keep getting better and drawing more players whether the current players are happy or not. The game is getting far more complex and requiring far more thought and strategy and yes some changes make things exceedingly difficult for established players. We as testers need to learn to adapt and overcome the changes not tell Entropy to stop making his own game.

TirunCollimdus

Emm i never said Radu should stop developing this game, hell i love this game and i'm looking forward for every update and new thing that is implemented. I'm just saying i love the feeling that Eternal Lands has now, without darkvision and cocktail Molotovs, if you know what i mean.

There is a message that says not to post about things that are already being worked on. I don't know if the perception thing is being worked on right now or not thought it has been the one stat they have always said they wanted to put in next for a very long time. If the landmine and bomb thing does qualify as something already being worked on then I am not sure where that kind of suggestion should be put but that was why I qualified my comments on those as possibly being to storyline instead of being suggestions. I am sure that if my qualification of use for storyline is not enough that someone will move/delete the post as they see fit.

The blog did not say anything about perception actually being implemented just what was needed to implement it so that part of my post is not referencing anything that I know of that is actually being worked on. :P Since I could be wrong about that the whole thread could be deleted but I do not see how we can post anything at all if we are worried that something is being worked on already. Do we all PM Entropy and ask if he is working on something to make sure we don't post a suggestion about it? He isn't shy so if I did make a mistake someone will let me know directly or indirectly and either way I hope that my post has helped and is helping in some way.

TirunCollimdus

Well if you are going to put them in how about we do it medieval style? Landmines? Ceramic constainers with scored exteriors holding water and magnesium seperated by glass with sharp bits of metal in the top which is shaped to channel the blast upwards.

magnesium with water detonating? :P

Well if you are going to put them in how about we do it medieval style? Landmines? Ceramic constainers with scored exteriors holding water and magnesium seperated by glass with sharp bits of metal in the top which is shaped to channel the blast upwards.

magnesium with water detonating? :P

Did not going to sleep cause my memory to make write something silly? You would think I could recall something from 20 years ago easily with no sleep or on a full nights rest. Magnesium goes up on it is own easliy with or without a spark spark ie. road flares and water can be used as a fuse because when it dries off it explodes. fashion. Sorry there sithicus. I think that corrects my chemistry but you can check it if you like. :D

When finely divided manganese does burn in air. A little bit more trouble than magnesium of course and not worth the effort. :) I pneumatic device operated by the weight of the person stepping on it forcing hydrogen peroxide across a silver screen catalyst bed would be the most effective though if we are looking for some serious boom. Just hard to produce in a medieval setting I think. :)

TirunCollimdus

Edited by TirunCollimdus

I know magnesium is a flammable metal, and burns quite strongly... but I think you're remembering sodium. sodium will burst into fire when in contact with water

of course, a combination of sodium coated in a thin amount of wax (which will eventually be washed away, or be pushed aside when there's force applied, such as a foot) for the detonator, and magnesium as the main flammable material, would make quite the device...

As well as being a medieval setting EL is also magical ,so any idea are easily explained away

Landmines : magic induced Fe's in a Jar << I know simple and basic answer but an example of magical world not everything has to be explained in modern days science

This discussion has happened many times before, and long before most of you were even on these forums.

It's not changing. If you'd done your research you'd know that the intention is to split the majority of Sci-Fi & Medievil aspects to different areas of the game, so that those who do not wish to see the other, can play in peace.

Just so you know, Mortors are already ingame as an item that you can look at. Isn't it too early to start throwing around potential recipies?

I have a few pounds of magnesium turnings lying around, and it won't do anything unpleasant with water spontaneously. This changes if you light them with a simple cig lighter :) They are kind of a survival firestarter.

I suppose you could make it through excessive high temperature processes, just like making iron from coal & heat, only MUCH more heat. Like, EFE not FE :D

Another way cool early element is white phosphorus, invented by a medieval alchemist named Brandt who basically boiled the piss he collected for a year, and then under obscure conditions, so that a mixture was obtained that produced white phosphorus vapor on excessive heating. WP is actually highly volatile, extremely flammable and on top of that, rather poisonous, so that's why they chuck it around in incendiary munitions these days. Instead of piss, it is conveniently made from bone powder mixed with coal and FE. Of course, due to inept handling, you also poison yourself when preparing it. Perhaps we can one day have a craftable grenade to do area damage.

Edited by sithicus