Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ambrosius

Why dont people PK anymore?

Why? I know some ebul pkers who wears stuff for like 1m gc and go to pk maps w/o rostos...but there are not so many brave (or stupid?) people :)

I don't have that expensive gear, but I admit I went to fight MarkusWeck with my CoL and no rost after he chased me off a fluffy spawn this week. :P

As for rostogol tweaking, the only tweak I ever saw to it that I really like, was the rostogol activation with 15k by crafters, you'd drop the 15k enchanted into the rost and lose the stone. That way your killer at least got 15k extra to do something with.

If not that, I don't really see a way to put a lot of tweaking into the rost that makes it better.

-Blee

Rostos rnt so big problem, problem is cooldown cause not so easy run now..its main reason why is pk death..before u could run easy so even 50s level ppl joined battles..all what was necessary =be fast.

Pitty there is nothing what they can do with it, too many new things added after that, so there is no way back.This topic is useless

You know what?

I am going to make a special day where the Rostos don't work. I bet that no one will go in PK maps that day.

ooh, so the day of oldschool PKing is coming? :)

not quite day of oldschool PK, that would be no rost, no armor above ti chain, no new weaps :P

but this looks promising, it will be interasting to see just how many more/less people go to PK on this day...

~1st

I must agree that newer players dont pk as much as 1-2 years ago and yes its because of high lvl killas and all the special armors. Getting a high lvl is what the game is all about. Admin implemented some pk zones to help...good move. Better armors and weaps are great. I only have one observation. The special swords of cooldown and special armors are neat, but expensive and are not visually different from the normal. I like all the changes except the magic weaps of burn, cooldown, etc....

My opinion about why people are not PK-ing.

Simple: is strategy.

After introducing the cooldown to address another issue (manufacturing) the pkers found themselves in a position of "should i continue or quit pking". That's wrong. Everybody si talking about expenses and so on, but i bet few (or noone? are those who think strategically the fights.

So more or less is about changing the way of fighting or changing people themselves. I bet the latter wins :P

Edited by kulysoft

My opinion about why people are not PK-ing.

Simple: is strategy.

After introducing the cooldown to address another issue (manufacturing) the pkers found themselves in a position of "should i continue or quit pking". That's wrong. Everybody si talking about expenses and so on, but i bet few (or noone? are those who think strategically the fights.

So more or less is about changing the way of fighting or changing people themselves. I bet the latter wins :)

Strategy? I laugh at this. There was at one point the competition for a champions title, dunno what it was called again. I started out as champion, fleeing until my opponents magic immunity wore off was a strategy, people didn't like the strategy so they voted to remove the fleeing. I passed on my champions crown to someone else after that.

Just want to say, the last thing people will think of in this game is strategy. Other then the "you catch his diss" strategy ingame, there is most likely none.

-Blee

(But beware, I'm trying to design an ~IK~ army. :P And it WILL be based on strategy.)

Yeah now problem is cooldown, what next? PK died becouse beavers are brown? People stop looking for problems there where they doesn't exist. Again this is only my opinion (why i always have to say that...)

Yeah now problem is cooldown, what next? PK died becouse beavers are brown? People stop looking for problems there where they doesn't exist. Again this is only my opinion (why i always have to say that...)

Like usually wisdom from someone who know nothing about it

Like usually wisdom from someone who know nothing about it

I'm in this game 1,5 year already, maybe you don't know me from pk, becouse i don't go there often, why? Becouse i don't like train in this game (maybe i'm to lazy dunno but this is my problem not problem of game). Of course sometimes i goes to pk (full aug leather, steel shield, star med, tit long). Sometimes i goes without armor, but for most of time i just sits and speaks with other people. I'm not "blind", i can see what is problem same as you, i hear what players doesn't like same as you. Then i know something about pk, true is, you can't be part of eternal lands and don't know nothing of pk. But this topic is not about this. I plaid few other mmo (silkroad itd.). For example when you dies you don't lose stuff, only exp. And there is not pk arenas but capes (you have to wear cape to fight, and you can fight every1 of course not in city but this is not important). And i have to say, a lot of people use capes there, they fight for fun, not for items and they doesn't think about stuff. I lost a lot cash in fight there, but i had really good fun, and you know what? On next day i fighted already, becouse i play for FUN. No drop day show something, players in EL are really like these from silkroad, they go for pk for fun, then why doeasn't go now? if pk is still the same? Becouse they dosn't want to lose rost, i know this is only 15-16k (all good armor cost 400k+) but for most of players this is still much. Dunno, if you delete rost pk will get next + (you can get some good stuff from pk) but huge - too, becouse most of players doesn't want to lose stuff. This is really hard problem. But if you delete rosto, players will not lose any cash (no rosto no lose) and this is +, and they still will not get any items, then no - . I think you saw that works already (no drop day, pk full of people). This is only like i think (again...), decision is in admins hands.

Edited by brein

IMHO, the main problem is cost.

Rostogols cost a lot, so people are afraid to die. I liked ohmygod's suggestion a lot.

Also, the infamous branch. If you got branched, then it obviously costs a lot. If you are careful and use red capes all the time; fine. But those capes break very often. As I understood from Entropy's post, cape breaks once in ~125 (missed) hits (in average). In long fights (like 2mins) you may take even more hits, so breaking 2 + capes during a fight is quite common (I just experienced that too). 2 capes = 13k = not much less than rostogol. So, you may lose the value of rosto or more, even if you win, you lose just because you fight.

And why not take BroD out of the game? The only reason I could think is NMT sink, because they don't break in other ways (well, acid rain, but ppl are usually careful).

So, all in all, PK costs a lot. There are quite many people who are PK addicts, they keep PKing till they run out of resources. Because of high cost, they run out fast, so not much action. If we remove BroD (or make protection against it easier), make rostos cheap, maybe cheap PK would attract more people, and as they would PK a lot, the same money would be burnt (essences/[cheap] rostos/potions/animal stones etc). But people would get much more action/fun.

Of course, maybe not :medieval: Balancing an MMORPG isn't trivial, things often work opposite as expected.

Edit: this could also be combined with idea about money in rosto, lets say rosto = 4k at npc, drops 2-3k when player dies. Still a sink, but winner benefits too.

Edited by vytukas

Rostogols cost a lot, so people are afraid to die. I liked ohmygod's suggestion a lot.

Also, the infamous branch. If you got branched, then it obviously costs a lot. If you are careful and use red capes all the time; fine. But those capes break very often. As I understood from Entropy's post, cape breaks once in ~125 (missed) hits (in average). In long fights (like 2mins) you may take even more hits, so breaking 2 + capes during a fight is quite common (I just experienced that too). 2 capes = 13k = not much less than rostogol. So, you may lose the value of rosto or more, even if you win, you lose just because you fight.

And why not take BroD out of the game? The only reason I could think is NMT sink, because they don't break in other ways (well, acid rain, but ppl are usually careful).

So, all in all, PK costs a lot. There are quite many people who are PK addicts, they keep PKing till they run out of resources. Because of high cost, they run out fast, so not much action. If we remove BroD (or make protection against it easier), make rostos cheap, maybe cheap PK would attract more people, and as they would PK a lot, the same money would be burnt (essences/[cheap] rostos/potions/animal stones etc). But people would get much more action/fun.

Of course, maybe not :medieval: Balancing an MMORPG isn't trivial, things often work opposite as expected.

Edit: this could also be combined with idea about money in rosto, lets say rosto = 4k at npc, drops 2-3k when player dies. Still a sink, but winner benefits too.

Agree with u and ohmygod. My idea is more...hmm...drastic, yes that is good word. But we think about the same thing. Cheaper PK.

Pking is as cheap or as expensive as the players want to make it.You dont have to wear full tit plate,col,nmt cape etc to have fun pking but ppl do why ? because someone else wears it and to stand a chance you have to try and match the items worn by your opponent.The answer to Pking lays in the hands of Pkers no one else and until they realise that to have fun doesnt always mean wearing the most expensive/best stuff then the problem will continue ( rosts as Ent pointed out arnt going anywhere so untill Pkers start wearing items that cost less than a rost then problem will be there)

Maybe the answer is in the Devs hands and they have to make certain Pk areas off limits to certain items. ie: no armour above iron,no weapon above tit serp etc. and im sure over time this area would get more use than standard Pk areas why ? answers easy like been said before cost. My self personally i dont PK ( non-pk guild) but if i could and in an area where everyone is on an even footing item wise and with only the risk of losing 10-15k of items then yeah i would PK , to me its not about the drops (plenty of good monster drops) its about testing youself against another human player .

Edit: bagjumping is not against EL rules but the community has made it into an un official law ,so maybe the PK community should get together and draw up there own list of Pk rules ( what you can and cannot wear etc)

Edited by conavar

Pking is as cheap or as expensive as the players want to make it.You dont have to wear full tit plate,col,nmt cape etc to have fun pking but ppl do why ? because someone else wears it and to stand a chance you have to try and match the items worn by your opponent.The answer to Pking lays in the hands of Pkers no one else and until they realise that to have fun doesnt always mean wearing the most expensive/best stuff then the problem will continue ( rosts as Ent pointed out arnt going anywhere so untill Pkers start wearing items that cost less than a rost then problem will be there)

That is it, you can't say to players "Go to pk! And without rosto!" or "Don't take good stuff"... they won't do it. This is reason why this problem is so hard, people wasn't solidary, they are not solidary, and they won't be solidary. Why? I dunno, thats normall in this world, almost every1 think about own ass, not about onother person, or "totall good". That is why work of admin is so hard, cooldown is good example, i remember how every1 hated this (dunno what they posted on the forum, but in game they weren't happy) but look now, almost all players like it, becose prices are higher, game is not so easy and give more satisfaction etc.

Maybe the answer is in the Devs hands and they have to make certain Pk areas off limits to certain items. ie: no armour above iron,no weapon above tit serp etc. and im sure over time this area would get more use than standard Pk areas why ? answers easy like been said before cost. My self personally i dont PK ( non-pk guild) but if i could and in an area where everyone is on an even footing item wise and with only the risk of losing 10-15k of items then yeah i would PK , to me its not about the drops (plenty of good monster drops) its about testing youself against another human player .

Dunno... do we have to looking for answer so far away? Mostly if we have better and easier ideas? (for me and i say about cheaper rostos etc.)

How about putting in an NPC that sells the Rostogol stone, but this one has a fail rate. Say this NPC sells the Rost for 5k gc however, it has a fail rate of 1/7 or something, This enable pkers to get a better chance at drops yet fighters have a rost on them and not knowing if it will fail or not, save money and take the risk?

Just a thought.

EaterOfSouls

How about putting in an NPC that sells the Rostogol stone, but this one has a fail rate. Say this NPC sells the Rost for 5k gc however, it has a fail rate of 1/7 or something, This enable pkers to get a better chance at drops yet fighters have a rost on them and not knowing if it will fail or not, save money and take the risk?

Just a thought.

EaterOfSouls

People doesn't go to PK becouse they don't want to risk lose the rosto, then who will go to PK if he risk lose of stuff? Of course some people will go there without armor, some people will go with good armor, but the same thing we have now... How every1 know, this is only my opinion :medieval:

Yeah old school pk map should be fun :)

Also, rosto only protecting the stuff you wear (armour/weapon/cape) can work imo...it will bring back the drops to pk maps.

If u got a nail in both hands and both feet, the pain wont go away by remove the nail in rigth foot. :medieval:

The Rostogol in not the solo problem, it only takes 1 more reason for PKing. :)

Also, rosto only protecting the stuff you wear (armour/weapon/cape) can work imo...it will bring back the drops to pk maps.

If u got a nail in both hands and both feet, the pain wont go away by remove the nail in rigth foot. :P

The Rostogol in not the solo problem, it only takes 1 more reason for PKing. :(

True :)

But it could be a step in the right direction:

-make rost less expensive

-and/or only protects the stuff you wear

If u got a nail in both hands and both feet, the pain wont go away by remove the nail in rigth foot. :P

But, if your right toe hurts a lot and you hit the left to sooo very hard that you don't feel the right toe anymore, half your problem is solved. ;p

-Blee

Then say me another resons. And tell how to repair that "bugs". First we will repair rosto problem, then next, not everything in one moment.

I did post em earlier when Mufuso asked if rumors about my return where true, look that post.

1 more reason 4 less PKing, is lack of oppertunity, cos most train behind a PK bot.

B4 the caves/PKbots people had to pvp train in puplic area, when every1 r in a cave training behind a PKbot less activity in puplic area's.

The new items r expencive people dont wanna risk loose em.

Edited by DonPedro

1 more reason 4 less PKing, is lack of oppertunity, cos most train behind a PK bot.

B4 the caves/PKbots people had to pvp train in puplic area, when every1 r in a cave training behind a PKbot less activity in puplic area's.

True but they doesn't have it for free, but i quess you will say something like "yeah you can buy everything for true $$$"... What mean PK? Player Killing/Killer, in most of games people don't like pkers becouse they can kill everywhere and they kill every1, even people who doesn't want it. This is big +++ of PK in eternal lands, you fight if you want to. You don't have to go to PK map if you don't want to, but what if you want pvp? You have to risk? Then where's gone idea about pk only for people who want go to pk? It disappeared?. No, becouse you can go to guildmap, and you are safe there.I like guildmaps idea, really, this is like home, safe place, no only for sit there, but for train there too. Sorry for all bugs in text but in my country is really late :P

Btw. I'll read your post in second topic, and i'll try to answer for it.

Edited by brein

True but they doesn't have it for free, but i quess you will say something like "yeah you can buy everything for true $$$"... What mean PK? Player Killing/Killer, in most of games people don't like pkers becouse they can kill everywhere and they kill every1, even people who doesn't want it. This is big +++ of PK in eternal lands, you fight if you want to. You don't have to go to PK map if you don't want to, but what if you want pvp? You have to risk? Then where's gone idea about pk only for people who want go to pk? It disappeared?. No, becouse you can go to guildmap, and you are safe there.I like guildmaps idea, really, this is like home, safe place, no only for sit there, but for train there too. Sorry for all bugs in text but in my country is really late :P

Btw. I'll read your post in second topic, and i'll try to answer for it.

Equal kids have most fun playing.

The unlimited sell from EL-shop creates unfair figths, if the $players didnt do it yet, they will do sooner or later, reset and then buy their nex's, soo they dont wast PP on nex's.

It has no importence if they "True but they doesn't have it for free" they gain that high advantage in figthing, that all to have fair chance, have to do same.

PKing means u kill some1, i dont get any get pissed cos some1 kill em, if u never die, u would have to be a kid to like that kind of game.

"You don't have to go to PK map if you don't want to, but what if you want pvp? You have to risk?" the hole idea about u have to train in puplic area is u get enemys when they kill u:)

If u dont wanne risk some1 attack u while train, train on monsters, its BIG advantage to pvp train, a risk should be, and it also my oppioion that is much more fun when u risk attack while pvp train.

I mean what i said in other threat to play against $players is like play against some1 use cheatcodes, u dont stand a chance against em, if u not do same.

I mean what i said in other threat to play against $players is like play against some1 use cheatcodes, u dont stand a chance against em, if u not do same.

I knew you will say that :( And i even know what to answer! :P I thought about this really long, and you know what, you have right...almost. Tell me, did you play on some game with cheats already? If yes, you should know this is not the same as the normall game. For players who can buy everything for real $$$ game is much easier, that's true, but bellieve me, in few months, itmes in el will be for them just pixels, but what if you work hard for some items? For example you harvest few days coal(and this is hard and boring), and you buy some cool stuff. What do you feel? You feel satisfaction. And what feel some1 who bought this item for real $$$? He is happy? For how long? When everything is easy then everything is boring... True is, not important is item, but work which you put to get this item. Of course i can be wrong, anyway i don't think shop will be delete, server is not so cheap, and admins doesn't get so much donations...

The game i currently play, i just heared of item duplicate, other cheats, i quit play it, 4now, i dont think i'll return to it.

I played a game Starcraft/Broodwar, in single mode i couldnt beat the NPC when i had 2-3 NPC players against me, i once tried the "Show me the money" cheat just to c if i could win then. i did win easily.

I loved the fair figths in EL, all u lost where u honor and if bad luck where after u serp titchain and mirror.

If bad luck where after u, u lost valuable items, but notthing u had to work weeks to get.

And there where always people in KF, watching PVP'ers, chatting and hopeing at 2 enemys came soo a figth where up, if they where lucky, a GOOD figth came.