Eternal Lands Official Forums
LilBear

Harvesting Frequency Irregularity?

I'm harvesting level 54, which puts me six levels below the recommended level for turquoise, or so I've been told. It makes for rather slow harvesting ;) , and to amuse myself I timed how long it would take me to mine ore. Basically, whenever a number appears above my head (indicating harvesting points) I'm clicking the clock. Imagine my surprise when there seemed to be no regularity to the number of seconds between harvests. :icon13: Below are 34 timed intervals (in seconds). I don't think the differences can be put down to reaction time. Is there a pattern I'm not seeing? Is the difference in seconds related to harvesting "failures"? Does anyone have an explanation for this that is not based on wild guesses or humor?

Thanks.

lilbear

harvesting intervals in seconds, for turquoise, at harvesting lvl 54:

(This does not include the first harvest since I can't click on a beginning time and an ore simultaneously. Also, the first harvest always seems to take longest.)

18, 18, 25, 18, 22, 25, 22, 25, 22, 16, 20, 24, 15, 23, 23, 19, 26, 24, 26, 22, 19, 24, 15, 25, 20, 22, 15, 20, 26, 15, 14, 17, 22

number of events: 34

total seconds: 711

average: 20.9

Just a thought: I know when i have a bad connection sometimes there is a delay on knowing when i have harvested an item. For example, if i am harvesting and there is a skip in the connection i wont see any exp above my head for like 20 seconds but then see all the exp + above my head really really fast. Don't know if anybody else has ever had the same thing happen, but i suppose its possibility :icon13:

i have had that happen (the above post) but i have also noticed a small iregularity in alot of ores, personally i always shruged it off as the amount of 'failed' harvests.

Isn't that because of your harvesting level?

In the past you've had to click on the ore to get it, and each time message pop up "You collected 1 Titanium Ore", and there were fails also: "Harvest failed". Maybe those fails still exist, bu you can't see that message anymore. Sometimes you fail to collect turquoise, sometimes you succeed, and that's why you get the ore irregular.

Edited by BloodSucker

BloodSucker is right, it is because of the failures that do not display. Even 14 seconds is long to harvest one ore because iirc when I harvest wolfram which needs level 60, there's not more than 5-6 seconds between each ore. So in your case, you should have a lot of failures...

The smallest number should then indicate a case where there were no failures, or the least failures, between successful harvests. In this list this would be 14. Shouldn't all other numbers therefore be multiples of the lowest time? Or at least have a lowest common multiple, which definitely isnt the case for all those numbers? Therefore I'd assume that there is a random factor in there, too.

Edited by majestyk

Normally it should always be a multiplication of 2 seconds. I guess the testperson clicked his clock each harvest? So that explains the odd numbers.

Yes the fails are still there, you just aren't seeing them anymore.

So the attempt to harvest times out the same, you just won't get an even result because there are fails inbetween, which won't be the same each time between a success, and which you do not see.

That is what a higher harvest level gets you, less fails. Which you see as "faster" harvesting.

Lag and vid card. I'm on dial-up with a 16mb card, trust me. The numbers are all over the place! Also whatever else you have running in the background.

In addition, I believe there is a "base time" to harvest an item. That base time varies from harvestable item to harvestable item.

From my own experience I would say that Turquoise has the longest base time per harvest that I've seen.

Though I'm no developer I believe the system would work something like this

- Harvester clicks to harvest plant/ore/mineral/whatever

- Base time for that harvestable item is grabbed from the database

- The server makes a harvest attempt ever xx number of seconds (xx = base time for that item)

- If you succeed - congrats you now have that item in your inventory

- If you fail - no message and it waits another xx number of seconds before trying again

Again, I'm not a developer, this is my just my own understanding of how it works.

So the attempt to harvest times out the same, you just won't get an even result because there are fails inbetween, which won't be the same each time between a success, and which you do not see.

That is what a higher harvest level gets you, less fails. Which you see as "faster" harvesting.

I remember the dreaded Harvest Failed server message. I'm glad they're gone ...

imagine the chat_log spam !i!i!

<snip>
I agree on all but one point. to my eye, it looks like there's one extra fail inherent in starting to harvest (ie the first harvest takes twice as long). I've seen this many times with higher level ores (at harv 88 now, the fails shouldn't be too frequent) and the same delay again in stopping for whatever reason (you get a blessing, and you have to wait a sec or fife to restart harvesting. depending on how hard it is for you to dig it)

Good that we dont see fails anymore :confused:

I would even do less harvesting if i would get message spam of failing to harvest an ore lol :P

is there even an 100% rate to succeed every harvest event? ( :) curious)

Good that we dont see fails anymore :confused:

I would even do less harvesting if i would get message spam of failing to harvest an ore lol :P

is there even an 100% rate to succeed every harvest event? ( :) curious)

Given the FE fail rate, regardless of alc level, I'm gonna say no. :P

I'm harvesting level 54, which puts me six levels below the recommended level for turquoise, or so I've been told. It makes for rather slow harvesting :D , and to amuse myself I timed how long it would take me to mine ore. Basically, whenever a number appears above my head (indicating harvesting points) I'm clicking the clock. Imagine my surprise when there seemed to be no regularity to the number of seconds between harvests. :( Below are 34 timed intervals (in seconds). I don't think the differences can be put down to reaction time. Is there a pattern I'm not seeing? Is the difference in seconds related to harvesting "failures"? Does anyone have an explanation for this that is not based on wild guesses or humor?

Thanks.

lilbear

harvesting intervals in seconds, for turquoise, at harvesting lvl 54:

(This does not include the first harvest since I can't click on a beginning time and an ore simultaneously. Also, the first harvest always seems to take longest.)

18, 18, 25, 18, 22, 25, 22, 25, 22, 16, 20, 24, 15, 23, 23, 19, 26, 24, 26, 22, 19, 24, 15, 25, 20, 22, 15, 20, 26, 15, 14, 17, 22

number of events: 34

total seconds: 711

average: 20.9

Ouch, now thats some slow harvesting...At first before reading your post properly I almost saw those numbers as being in Milliseconds or something...:P Man 20 secs for harvesting is very slow=/ I'm at lvl 74 almost 75. And I got these:

7, 5, 7, 7, 6, 6, 7, 6, 5, 7, 7, 6, 7.

ttlanhil is right about that stuff, I noticed alot that when getting a bless or any interuption you have many extra seconds to get back on track=/ Can be quite annoying when many events...

Btw I probably got most Turquoise in game now;D

But it seems like only the higher lvl harvestables benefit from high harv lvl... The lower should get faster and faster too...=/

Edited by Beaverhunter