Eternal Lands Official Forums
conavar

Religion

. I think it was generally accepted in the thread above already that the Old Testament's historicity is valid.

-Lyn-

Only by thoughs who already are believers in which case they will believe it.

Take into consideration the folklore of Native Americans and Ancient norse people which have been passed from generation to generation couldnt Religion be like them a folklore that people have believed ? The point that it is written down doesnt mean it is any more valid or true

i am only saying this because i believe you crossed a line here. I personally do not like it when someone places words in my mouth or an idea in my head. especially when i havent expressed an oppinion on it. afaik it is historically valid, (i havent done any research on it yet to say a definitive yes or no but untill i come to my own conclusion I will consider it to be as presented) but does this make me a believer? no. it might be a good idea to speak only for yourself and not a collective in the future. as well if you would like for your ideas about the subject of religion to be a bit more weight bearing please try not to be so full of yourself on a topic where both sides (your own and that of the christians) bear equal physical proof (that means none). I am sorry if this has come across as a little flamey but what you have said seems to assume anyone who believes anything other than your own perspective is completely ignorant of what they are talking about. very bad form for a debate and especially bad for convincing someone that their own ideas are built upon falsities.

. I think it was generally accepted in the thread above already that the Old Testament's historicity is valid.

-Lyn-

Only by thoughs who already are believers in which case they will believe it.

Take into consideration the folklore of Native Americans and Ancient norse people which have been passed from generation to generation couldnt Religion be like them a folklore that people have believed ? The point that it is written down doesnt mean it is any more valid or true

i am only saying this because i believe you crossed a line here. I personally do not like it when someone places words in my mouth or an idea in my head. especially when i havent expressed an oppinion on it. afaik it is historically valid, (i havent done any research on it yet to say a definitive yes or no but untill i come to my own conclusion I will consider it to be as presented) but does this make me a believer? no. it might be a good idea to speak only for yourself and not a collective in the future. as well if you would like for your ideas about the subject of religion to be a bit more weight bearing please try not to be so full of yourself on a topic where both sides (your own and that of the christians) bear equal physical proof (that means none). I am sorry if this has come across as a little flamey but what you have said seems to assume anyone who believes anything other than your own perspective is completely ignorant of what they are talking about. very bad form for a debate and especially bad for convincing someone that their own ideas are built upon falsities.

Fare enough point .

I dont think any of us NON-BELIEVERS have said we are right ,we have just tried to ask questions .that in my opinion is where we differ. Non-believers can see and understand that with no proof they might be Wrong. Believers cant its there way or no way

Guest BusterDog

It is true that believers cannot deny their own belief, or else they cease to be called believers. They can still have honest questions :happy:, and those are welcomed by the Author of life that I believe and know to be the God of the Bible.

A true belief must be true to the claims of the belief system, and Jesus Christ made exclusive claims that rule out consideration of any other way to the "Heavenly Father". He offered this information first to a nation that was "groomed" to understand the context. Some of them got it - the rest shouted for his execution.

People have not changed much. Some will gladly receive the information and others will reject the opportunity presented.

Don't pass up the only chance at a the true Eternal Land! Trust in Jesus Christ today!

Yes, I believe the exclusive claims and must remain consistent with them.

For example:

I have discovered what is the matter with my problem! I need to be forgiven.

Taste the goodness of the presence of God after He has cleansed your concience.

Live in awe and wonder for eternity, knowing the acceptance and embrace of your Creator.

Find rest and assurance that gives ultimate freedom and dignity. \o/

Be free to discover the beauty and order in creation, and do your part to reverse the entropy of sin - starting with your own entropy (sorry ent).

Goo to you = not true.....you are a son of Adam or a daughter of Eve. They blew it, and we all follow in their error.

The offspring of people are...people. The offspring of cattle are...cattle. All reproduce after their own kind. Variation within each kind is obvious, but beyond this is speculation and not based on observation.

As you see, I lack some grace in communication. It is still a bit cold and blunt - a work in progress.

Peace to you all.

Personal attacks may have entertainment value, but wil be considered a sign that the remainer of the response lacks substance. Smiles are welcome :P

If a god of absolute power exists, or one who has absolute power over this universe, then he is at least a five dimensional being. Just as a human can oversee what is happening everywhere in a two dimensional space such as a piece of paper, God can oversee the three dimensional space. This requires a fourth spacial dimension.

Gods who have less power such as Zeus are more or less the same dimension as humans, only they have tricks that humans do not.

Time is a more difficult topic, given the fact that this dimension is basically one way, and that humans do not have any freedom in this vector, neither direction, nor magnitude. What I would really want to know is if God is a master of the time dimension as a human is master in the three spatial dimensions, or that He is bound to it just as much as we are. For if time is another dimension equal to all the others in all aspects to this god, and passage in time is merely the effect of a force like gravity or electromagnetism, then this god is truly timeless, and our world is like a comic book with infinitesimally thin pages. Or even a game?

They can still have honest questions :o, and those are welcomed by the Author of life that I believe and know to be the God of the Bible.

People have not changed much. Some will gladly receive the information and others will reject the opportunity presented.

Personal attacks may have entertainment value, but wil be considered a sign that the remainer of the response lacks substance. Smiles are welcome :D

They can still have honest questions :o, and those are welcomed by the Author of life that I believe and know to be the God of the Bible

No you dont know . you believe. Believeing its true nd knowing its true are two totally differant things>

Think thats is called blind faith .Personally im not a sheep who blindly follows .I like to make up my own mind.

Opportunity for ?

Don't pass up the only chance at a the true Eternal Land! Trust in Jesus Christ today

Trust in a yet to be proven mythical person ?

Personal attacks may have entertainment value, but wil be considered a sign that the remainer of the response lacks substance. Smiles are welcome :D

Whats that ? If someone disagrees with you then they dont know what they talking about

Honestly im an aethist and i might be Wrong there might be a god. As soon as believers of any religion understand that there is a chance that they might also be wrong and it doesnt exist ,is the minute they stop preaching,get off there soap box and stop doing dispicable acts in the name of religion .

nothing Wrong with having belief that is ppls choice,but please dont try and shove unproven ideas down peoples throats.

wow, thats really annoying to read....learn how to quote noob *_*

[quote] text [/quote] 

Reading these posts I noticed two general trends.

there were those who believed in god, without, imo, solid proof of his existence

and there were those who don't believe in god, without solid proof of his nonexistence

These two groups of people are arguing over the existence of god. Both sides are arguing hopelessly. There is no point in arguing when neither side can prove that they are right.

A religion isn't made up of just god(s). Believing in god(s), doesn't really make you part of that religion. Its the ideals the religion teaches, and the morals. You have to believe in all of that.

What I'm trying to say is I couldn't care less if there is a god. What would make me follow a religion is the morals it teaches.

wow, thats really annoying to read....learn how to quote noob *_*

[quote] text [/quote] 

You mean like that Atlantis, we all make mistakes and I didnt realise you could read anyway .I was going to do you a crayon drawing so you would understand but since you offered such a wonderful insight into the subject I want bother

wonderful insight = Trying to up post count so can act all pr0 :happy:

Reading these posts I noticed two general trends.

there were those who believed in god, without, imo, solid proof of his existence

and there were those who don't believe in god, without solid proof of his nonexistence

These two groups of people are arguing over the existence of god. Both sides are arguing hopelessly. There is no point in arguing when neither side can prove that they are right.

A religion isn't made up of just god(s). Believing in god(s), doesn't really make you part of that religion. Its the ideals the religion teaches, and the morals. You have to believe in all of that.

What I'm trying to say is I couldn't care less if there is a god. What would make me follow a religion is the morals it teaches.

Must agree arguing about the possible existence of a mythical person is interesting but ultimatly pointless.Neither side can prove they are right one way or the other.But not many aethists i know preach that they are right.

Religions and morals to totally seperate subjects. Many so called religious people over the years have been morally corrupt and many people who are aethists have been pinnacles of there communitys.

Morals are more about personal stand point and upbringing

I'm Atheist, and I'd like to believe in the presence of one omni-potent being, but there ain't and I can't take comfort in such ideals like all you others. And don't give me the 'there are no Atheists in a foxhole' crap 'cus im a Marine rifleman. A couple of my seniors have been in Iraq (fallujah 2004) and Afghanistan (2005) who've been Atheists all throughout, it's just the weak self proclaimed Atheists who need something to hold on to in those hard times in war that give in to the comfort of believing. That's my 2 cents.

Guest BusterDog

Thank you for the opportunity to shove my beliefs down your throat. Your invitation was quite clear. :P

Shall I shrink back from the opening?

Have I insulted or abused any person by my answer?

This must be another of my dispicable acts....my apologies. I take my leave. o/

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \A"the*ist\, n. [Gr. ? without god; 'a priv. + ? god:

cf. F. ath['e]iste.]

1. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or

supreme intelligent Being.

2. A godless person. [Obs.]

Syn: Infidel; unbeliever.

Note: See {Infidel}.

LOL who ever wrote that should burn in Hell :icon13:

I'm not an atheist,i'm not a nonbeliever. Something has to exist in the first place for me to believe in it. Otherwise i'm just another silly goose who thinks they're gonna be happy in some other life just because they had a shitty life on Earth. Well no thanks.

I've been studying long and hard this need of humans to BELIEVE there is a higher entity than them, that we all have an all seeing, all powerful mom that will just come and spank who ever bothers us, and feed us and take care of us.

Most humans just cant handle the thought that they're alone and they have to figure out this life by themselfs. And here comes in religion,with its uterly simple explanations for life, with its rules, obligations, less freedom than a rat in a cage, and oh yeah, with its all powerful god that might just be kind enough to give you a wonderul life after you've eaten dirt in this one.

Do what you will,when you will it. There's nobody to watch your ass, nobody to cover your mistakes or reward you if you've been a good useless bag of bones. Take responsability for your own actions and live your life like you want cause its your ownly one.

Definition: \A"the*ist\, n. [Gr. ? without god; 'a priv. + ? god:

cf. F. ath['e]iste.]

1. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or

supreme intelligent Being.

2. A godless person. [Obs.]

Syn: Infidel; unbeliever.

Note: See {Infidel}.

LOL who ever wrote that should burn in Hell :icon13:

I'm not an atheist,i'm not a nonbeliever. Something has to exist in the first place for me to believe in it. Otherwise i'm just another silly goose who thinks they're gonna be happy in some other life just because they had a shitty life on Earth. Well no thanks.

I've been studying long and hard this need of humans to BELIEVE there is a higher entity than them, that we all have an all seeing, all powerful mom that will just come and spank who ever bothers us, and feed us and take care of us.

Most humans just cant handle the thought that they're alone and they have to figure out this life by themselfs. And here comes in religion,with its uterly simple explanations for life, with its rules, obligations, less freedom than a rat in a cage, and oh yeah, with its all powerful god that might just be kind enough to give you a wonderul life after you've eaten dirt in this one.

Do what you will,when you will it. There's nobody to watch your ass, nobody to cover your mistakes or reward you if you've been a good useless bag of bones. Take responsability for your own actions and live your life like you want cause its your ownly one.

When I hear infidel I think of a terrorist calling Americans infidels. If fighting for what I believe is an infidel then I will gladly bear the title. Kat, I love the way you think, down to earth and very simple yet effective. Your mind follows the KISS method (keep it simple stupid). Whether you're a believer or not I respect whoever acknoledges that this is our own life to live and you gota make the best of it before you die, and you have to do it all for yourself not some higher deity.

As a 17-year old (well, to be 17 this year anyway...) brought up as a Roman Catholic, I believe that there is some sort of supernatural being who reigns supreme over our world and any others. However, being an AS student studying Philosophy, it has certainly raised many questions.

There are many arguments for and against the existence of God - I can't really be bothered to put them down but if you really want them send me a PM of any sort and I'll just email you my essay on the existence of God - and due to my studies I have become very skeptical of my beliefs. There are just too many flaws and weaknesses in arguments put forward by philosophers who try to explain God or His existence that I have found myself questioning my Roman Catholic background time and time again.

So... I am very uncertain as to where I lie in the religion system.

Just my 0.02$. (as usual =/)

As a 17-year old (well, to be 17 this year anyway...) brought up as a Roman Catholic, I believe that there is some sort of supernatural being who reigns supreme over our world and any others. However, being an AS student studying Philosophy, it has certainly raised many questions.

There are many arguments for and against the existence of God - I can't really be bothered to put them down but if you really want them send me a PM of any sort and I'll just email you my essay on the existence of God - and due to my studies I have become very skeptical of my beliefs. There are just too many flaws and weaknesses in arguments put forward by philosophers who try to explain God or His existence that I have found myself questioning my Roman Catholic background time and time again.

Sadly, this is where many people begin to loose their faith in God.. The universities try to push science as the ultimate authority. But remember, many of the "truths" science claims are built on theory. Science has been wrong many times after teaching a "truth" for many decades or even centuries.

Sadly, this is where many people begin to loose their faith in God.. The universities try to push science as the ultimate authority. But remember, many of the "truths" science claims are built on theory. Science has been wrong many times after teaching a "truth" for many decades or even centuries.

That is true but doesnt Religion suffer the same faults and also trys to be the Ultimate authority ?

That is true but doesnt Religion suffer the same faults and also trys to be the Ultimate authority ?

without faith.. yes

...and with faith. I have a devout Christian friend who wholeheartedly agrees with the idea that religion tries to be the ultimate authority. Doesn't mean he dislikes it, but there are those who may not want a "book" (some could see it that way) lording over their lives.

When I hear infidel I think of a terrorist calling Americans infidels. If fighting for what I believe is an infidel then I will gladly bear the title. Kat, I love the way you think, down to earth and very simple yet effective. Your mind follows the KISS method (keep it simple stupid). Whether you're a believer or not I respect whoever acknoledges that this is our own life to live and you gota make the best of it before you die, and you have to do it all for yourself not some higher deity.

Not a pro quoter myself so I will add in DevilDog03 "Kat, I love the way you think, down to earth and very simple yet effective. Your mind follows the KISS method (keep it simple stupid)."

Truly it was an amazingly simple view of religion and believe with zero validity in the discussion here. Kat 'thinks' are lots of 'study' that religion and faith are all about people who are too weak to handle the struggles of life on their own and need some crutch to prop them up. Christianity as the main protagonist and my personal belief system will suit me fine for this. Christains are told that God helps those who help themselves. You get into heaven by your works. Yes God is there to support you but if you don't get off your ass you are not going to get anything handed to you.

I question my own beliefs and faith as ongoing process of spiritual growth and choose not to participate in blind faith because I am a man of reason. Obstacles in life are merely measurements of the efforts we put forth to achieve our goals. There is nothing in this life that I can not achieve if I choose to pursue it whether God chooses to help me or not. I personally feel that everyone turns to someone else for help in their life time. It could be a parent a, a friend, a teacher or just someone skilled at the things they do. Anyone who does not look to someone or something for help is an arrogant fool who believes they know everything they need to know already. This is the sign of a small minded simpleton no matter how much they have read or learned on their own.

If you had truly studied the religions you are pissing on Kat you would see that all of them require people to do for themselves in order to receive any kind of blessing. This is a method of self-fullfing prophecy that can make it easy to believe that God is helping you and that is why you are succeeding. The fact is that if your God got you motivated to help yourself to achieve his blessing on your works then he/she really did help you just not exactly in the way it was described in the scriptures for most religions.

The Christian bible is historically accurate. It is has been corroborated through archaelogical evidence and the records of all of the civilizations that are mentioned in it and also by civilizations that are not. Whether you believe in the God of the Judaeo/Christian texts or the causes of the events described, the facts have been substantiated by believers and nonbelievers alike.

There are plenty of people who use blind faith and religion as a crutch because they cannot handle the difficulties that life has to offer but that does not mean that all believers of all faiths are a bunch of weak minded fools who need to be coddled through life by religious leaders or gods. To suggest such a thing is show that you are completely ignorant about the topic in question.

TirunCollimdus

Not a pro quoter myself so I will add in DevilDog03 "Kat, I love the way you think, down to earth and very simple yet effective. Your mind follows the KISS method (keep it simple stupid)."

Truly it was an amazingly simple view of religion and believe with zero validity in the discussion here.

Actually I was referring to Kats's views on life rather than religion, like I said I respect any religion if it helps the believer achieve greatness, so long as he realizes that he must carry his own weight.

Kat 'thinks' are lots of 'study' that religion and faith are all about people who are too weak to handle the struggles of life on their own and need some crutch to prop them up. Christianity as the main protagonist and my personal belief system will suit me fine for this. Christains are told that God helps those who help themselves. You get into heaven by your works. Yes God is there to support you but if you don't get off your ass you are not going to get anything handed to you... There is nothing in this life that I can not achieve if I choose to pursue it whether God chooses to help me or not.

By your theory you can work your ass off all your life and be rewarded, but sometimes it just doesn't happen and you can walk a mile just to move an inch. A lot of life is unfair and you don't get what you deserve, if there is no fair God why should I follow him?

I personally feel that everyone turns to someone else for help in their life time. It could be a parent a, a friend, a teacher or just someone skilled at the things they do. Anyone who does not look to someone or something for help is an arrogant fool who believes they know everything they need to know already. This is the sign of a small minded simpleton no matter how much they have read or learned on their own.

I always turn to my squad leader for strenght, just knowing he is around makes me feel so much safer, hell even cockier when I know I can be dead the next minute. He can be that rock that keeps me cool-headed on the field of battle. I completely understand what you mean here, and usually the harder your lot in life is, the stronger a figure you will need to look to for help.

The Christian bible is historically accurate. It is has been corroborated through archaelogical evidence and the records of all of the civilizations that are mentioned in it and also by civilizations that are not. Whether you believe in the God of the Judaeo/Christian texts or the causes of the events described, the facts have been substantiated by believers and nonbelievers alike.

I'm not even going to bother with this one...

I'd suggest you keep your insults and frustration for some wall in your church Tirun. You dont have my perspective on live and its clear that you have no idea what i'm talking about. Your comments are biased, hateful and worth nothing to me.

So take five and review your good christian manners, ok?

I'd suggest you keep your insults and frustration for some wall in your church Tirun. You dont have my perspective on live and its clear that you have no idea what i'm talking about. Your comments are biased, hateful and worth nothing to me.

So take five and review your good christian manners, ok?

My comments were not in any way hateful. They were defensive because your comments attack everyone who has any kind of faith whether it be reasoned or blind. I don't go to chuch. Most organized religion is worse than useless because they claim to be representing a faith which they really know nothing about. If you want to find a hypocrite you bet the fastest way to do it is to find a christain church of almost any denomination. If everyone in this country who claimed to be a christian was a true christian there would be no poverty, no homeless, and no blind eyes turned to people in need considering how much of the population calls itself christain.

I don't know what you have been through but I do know that I never claimed life was fair. Life is not fair. Bad things happen to good people all of the time. If you wanted only good things to happen to good people you would have to go back to the garden of eden and stay there. The world is a hard, cold and quite often ruthless place. I can tell you that the odds of your life being worse than what my own mother went through growing up are slim to none. She survived it and it did not dim or destroy her spirit. She still believes that people are inherently good and that the world despite its problems is a good place.

People are inherently good by the way and the fact that we still exist with the power to anihilate ourselves is proof of this. The facts show that the number of people who are actually criminals is far below 25% let alone above 50%. Communities and the world in general survives through tragedy and catastrophe because we pull together in adversity and we support each other in times of need. There are a lot of bad people and they are easy to find but good in most of us outweighs the bad. If I don't know what you are talking about it is because you were completely unclear. I responded to the statement you made and what it meant as it was stated. If you meant something other than what you said then you don't need to worry about my defensive comments about people of faith.

If you were commenting on the hyprocrisy or even the evil that is threaded thorughout organized religion as a whole then you are not getting any argument from me at all. Throughout recorded history the blood and shame that has been done by those claiming to do things in the name of a god have made all other such blood lettings and attrocities in comparison. That of course does not even begin to go into the horrible things that organized religion has allowed to occur and simply covered up.

No one has the right and you should never give anyone the ability to take away from you the world as a beautiful and wondrous place that inspires awe, joy and love. The universe we live in is simply breathtaking in its beauty. There are people who help you find that beauty whether it was taken from you or you gave it away. I hope you choose to find someone who can help you find the place in yourself that reckognizes and responds to that beauty because it is still inside of you waiting to find its way out.

TirunCollimdus

When i was younger, a neighbour of mine,who was very religios and had literaly sacrificed her life for God, lost her kid around the neighbourhood. Well the kid ran away or something. Everybody was concerned about finding the little girl, except for her mother. All she did was pray all day and say that god will bring her girl back, will keep her safe and alive. Everybody else who wasnt so "faitful" went looking for the kid and finally found her dead in a trash bin.

So tell me,was there a God for that woman the day they found her kid dead?

I dont despise God or religion, but what people make of it. There are so so little people who can understand God as simply a moral support and nothing more, because nobody in their full mental capacities and a neutral view can honestly say they know what is out there. The Bible was written by humans, everything you know about God was said by humans, you cannot swear your life to something that somebody said thousands of years ago. Or maybe you can but i classify that as pure madness.

All i'm saying is that you cannot be sure of anything but yourself, and sometimes not even that. I've seen many many things in my life, i wont compare or contrast our experiences, but i'll tell you one thing, i've never seen God.

And to me this is better than seeing a glimse of him because then i'd have to ask myself "who is it,what is it,since when, from where, how, why?".I simply cannot understand this selfish idea of people that God sees their every move and take care of everybody.Why would a creature that holds the universe in its hands, maybe billions of universes and much more, would give a damn about a puny human? And dont tell me that God can see all and do all because you dont know that either. How the hell would a human like you know what GOD can do or see?

Anyway there are many questions that nobody can answer and many more than nobody never even thought of. At this point, i'm not dismissing anything, if there's something out there or not, i have a life time to live and see what happens. If there is a God out there, like you say, maybe he'll be "kind" enough to give me a sign too, if there isnt, or i dont get a sign, then this universe is too big for an atom like me to bother about it.

Not true. There are rather large gaps in between special occasions - Jesus is a boy, has argument with priest of some sort - then BAM, he's 20something and doing some other miracle or whatnot. Also, some facts in the Bible are wierd - I read somewhere that he travels from one part of Israel and then to another in a few days on donkey-back, when it takes the same amount by car today. Maybe God's son can teleport?

Oh, and although I'm a guy of reason too, I have to agree with Kat there. What people make of God is ridiculous. I go to church fairly regularly and all I hear is "God will do this..." and "God will do that..." 99% of the time it doesn't happen, and when it does happen, lord almighty they make a bloody big fuss about it.

Finally, the Bible was first written 2000 years ago. Don't you think by now the Christian church would have omitted some parts that would embarras them and embellish, or even lie about some parts to make as if Christianity was oh so good?

Edited by Zafyra

LOL who ever wrote that should burn in Hell :)

I could spend hours responding to everyones comments ( maybe when more times available lol ).

Kat has made some good points and no everyone may agree with them but they are her beliefs , Are them beliefs any less valid than a person who beleives in Religion ? no of course not.

Some may post that God is a bug eyed green alien (example) but if that is what they trully believe then are they wrong ? Is there anymore less proof ? no.

In a belief system of any kind founded on no proof no one is right and no one is wrong ,its all about personel interpritation . I dont believe in God but that doesnt make my views any less valid than someone who does and vice versa.