Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Geelef

Backgrounds for Cities in the P2P version

Since not too much people can/want to think up of stories, or review them, I posted this here.

Roja told me a long while ago I could do this, but due to my absence, I haven't come to post this until now.

This thread will be (and will be only) about the following subject:

Background stories, and names for cities in the P2P version.

Since the P2P continent will have lotsa stuff on it, cities can have related backgrounds. (Like, if there was a war 300198472 years ago, that could've wept out two or three cities). I don't want big events that take place in the entire Eternal Lands, because that would be too much of a storyline...

Now, if you have suggestions or stories for cities, please post them here. Also suggestion about posted stuff ofcourse.

If you feel like you suck at making stories, but rule at thinking of names (or vice versa), just post the stuff you're good at.

If you've got questions, or something else, just PM/Mail me.

Here's some stuff I came up with:

*City 1*

PvP map, lotsa killermonsters in it,

This is a big dwarven city. It has long since been ruined due to a war between the dwarfs and the 'evil' creatures living inside the mountains surrounding it.

This war took place over a hundred years ago, after a long time of hostality between the dwarfs and the monsters.

Normally, the dwarfs were able to keep the monsters at a distance because of their great defensive systems, a huge wall surrounded the city, a few circulair walls were built around the Castle of this city.

But the true power of their defences wasn't in the craftmanship of the dwarfs, but in the ancient spell that was put upon it.

Gazin, once king of this city, had asked the most powerful mage in his country to put a spell upon the city, driving off the Orcs and Ogres who were constantly searching to attack the city.

This mage, whose name is long forgotten, came up with an effective spell, but it needed a powersource to last forever.

This powersource was found in a dwarvish body, the body of someone who was utterly devoted to the city and it's inhabitants. And who else was more devoted than the king himself?

So, Gazin offered himself to be the powersource. His body was stored in a small chamber in the heart of the city, which was to be locked off.

The spell succeeded, the body was more than enough to uphold the magic. The effect was noticable right away, the enourmous walls got a faint brownish glare over them, and every foul creature that touched it was turned into a very small pile of ash.

Although the citizens mourned for their king, they couldn't help but feel happy, they were finally safe. The guards had to do nothing more than checking with the gates, the children could play on the streets again.

Even after a thousand years this magic would still protect the city - or so it was supposed to be. The mage had forgotten that body's wont last forever...

As the King's body started to decompose, the spell slowly fainted. Until at one point in time the hostile creatures found out they could just walk into the city without being hurt.

The guards were took by surprise, none survived the brutal attack.

These days this city is inhabited by the evil creatures that took it so long ago. The buildings remain in good shape, but the trees and the flowers have long since died away, all life but the most evil has fled out of the city.

Legend has it when someone else offers his body to the city, that evil is banished from the city of Gazin, and life will return to it.

*End*

Well, just need a name for that one. So, if anyone's got some suggestions :)

More coming up, haven't got the time to post 'm now, but expect more soon.

Heh, random words generators are not that good... I'd really like some original names for places, not just another version of The Bronx or something.

I do like the name Njeerav though, but I see it more as a thriving Goblin city, could do a story on that ofcourse :)

Will do that... Yeah. Done by tomorrow :P

Names on themselves aren't that hard, no. But combining names with specific cities is. The feeling that the name brings to you must be the same as the background of the city.

EG, if I tell you the name Valeiron, you'd prolly think about some Elvish city - it'd come as a surprise if I'd say that the city was built and inhabited by orcs.

Now, the city of Njeerav. (I'll use one of your names, if you don't mind :P)

A long time ago, on a desolate frosted wasteland, a lone human warrior was searching for the horizon. When he crossed the icy plain, his eyes met a huge rockrange, which started to the left of him, and followed the horizon to his right. Straight ahead was a small passage, almost not noticable. The warrior only saw it because the sun was setting, casting a long line of light on the ground. He walked to it, intending to pass it like he passed every other mountain.

But when he arrived there he found a small nomadic village, inhabited by Elfs. After a met the chief of the clan, he joined them, hoping to find out more about nature and martial arts.

Soon, the human ascended in the Elvish ranks, finally becoming the chief of the clan, after the former chief died in a battle with a bear.

The warrior and his clan headed for that same mountainrange he'd spotted so many years ago, but had still not passed. His Elvish friends didn't like to walk through the passage, they thought it was a holy place. But since the warrior was chief, he got his way.

Behind the rockrange was a paradise, like no one had ever seen before. Green grass, bunnies, trees and deers covered the huge plain.

No intelligent being had ever found a city here, nor had they ever been here before. And since this place was so appealing to the Elfs, they founded the first city - Cynadon. It took merely days to build, a mage in the clan could conjure stone, it didn't take long for him to figure out how to conjure these stones directly into houses.

But soon it became clear why no one had ever tried to live in that so called paradise. It was haunted. Haunted by creatures none could see, creatures all could hear, creatures all could feel when they entered their houses.

These horrible creatures slowly took over control of the city by possessing more and more people. The people who were possessed either grew insane and drowned themselves in a nearby lake, or died of hunger.

The last case was worst - these people did die, their souls left their bodies, but the creatures haunting them still remained inside the flesh and bones, turning the dead into undead.

Soon, no living or dead Elf or Man walked in the city of Cynadon anymore. The undead still roaming it slowly made it their city - they built and redecorated houses and buildings to their liking. After half a year, the undead wanted to rename the city to their liking too, Njeerav seemed a good name.

Over time, the city of Njeerav has expanded, it has made a fragile alliance with a near dwarven city, mainly for import and export of goods, and more undead have come to live there - the only place they were not hunted for what they are.

Dreagantal - Home of the Draegoni. Dreagantal is said to be the coldest region of Eternal-Lands.

2 Dwarven explorers set out to conquer the ices of the west for the greatness of the dwarven empire, once there they planted the flag of VOTD, but setting back they came aross a new race. Twas neither man nor dragon, in his haste, one of the dwarf's pulled out his axe and slashed through the things neck, the blood was silver! he dropped a book and the dwarfs picked it up. it had all the details on how the Dreagoni came to be. It is beleived there has been tension between the Dreagoni and the dwarfs ever since that first contact because that Dreagoni that the dwarfs killed, was a desciple of the Dreagoni god, Iringold.

You bet, we still hate the dwarves for it :)

Hmm...we have some dwarves in our guild iirc...

got another one for ya...

Ever since there first meeting, the elfs always beleived that there was something that the dwarfs wernt telling them, today was the day that they would find out, they were right. Telmak, an old wise man, walked off into the forest and came out in a small opening, in the opening were little tiny houses and suddenly a swarm of maybe 50 little creatures came rushing out, the dwarf wonderd why? so he followed them, they went to another small dwarf like person who was stood next to a bunch of twigs and leafs glued together with skelitons bones in a paculier shap, the little dwarf held on and ran off a small hill and sored into the sky, the dwarf and the other little ones followed it on foot, till it was too late, it had gone into WSC, where 2 elf wariors sword the small dwarf and said "Hello, little dwarf" and to this the small dwarf replyed "Dwarf, me? im no dwarf, im captain snigglebut of the gnomes" the 2 elfs looked at each other, then turned around to see the wise old dwarf, he told them everything about the human and dwarf cross breading insident that made gnomes, that village and the wood surrounding it was from that day forward called "Gnaytano"

Ok here is a story that I wrote, but I'm not sure if there is cities that will work for this map.

Long ago near the dwarven fortress of Kazgora a great battle took place. The ancient dwarves which lived in and around this fortress up until this battle had a secret. This secret is which what lead to the destruction and take over of there ancient fortress by the evil mage Yetron. The story begins as the dwarves ask for aid from this wizard in helping them finish there secret.

Near the castle Hender, where the evil mage lives, the dwarven king heads to ask for help from the mage. Apon arrival the dwarves are greated by the mage himself. "Hail great dwarven warriors what brings you to my castle" replied the mage. "Great wizard we have come to ask to to place a spell on a secret project of ours to inable the city to stand forever" stated the dwarves. "Fine I'll help you, if you only promiss me that you will give me a book from within your city library" said the mage. " Fine then we have a deal" the king replied.

3 weeks later

The mage arrives at the fortress to place the enchantment on the secret and to get his book. The mage said to the dwarves give me the book and then I'll do the spell. The dwarves not knowing much about the book in which the mage wanted handed the book over with out asking a question. As soon as the mage got the book at cloud started forming over the city. "What is this strange cloud that you have summoned mage" said the dwarves. "Nothin now show me the secret so I may cast the spell and leave" answered the mage. Soon the showed him the secret. The mage laughed when he saw the small cage in with the dwarves had made. "What is this going to do to protect the city" said the mage. "Nothin till you get inside and place the spell" replied the dwarves. As he mage stepped in the dwarves closed the cage. "What is this?" asked the mage. "Your death mage, we know you have been sending those creatures at us, so now you die" the dwarves stated. "Stupid dwarves I was going to let you live, but now you will all die thanks to this book." the mage said. With a poof of smoke the mage was gone.

2 weeks later a swarm of orge,cyclops, and orcs assended on the fortress and killed all dwarves that didnt make it inside in time. Over time the mage found another entrance into the city and killed all the dwarves within. A few dwarves survived by either digging deep into the earth and hiding or my joining the mage. The evil mage still lives inside his castle and the evil dwarves that follow him live within the ruins with his other evil creatures.

I know some of this is alittle sudden, but I wrote it fast. Change up what you want to.

orchania :P (sounds so cliche)

an underground map of course, the place where selain's followers the orchans originate and where they sealed themselve's off from the world for god knows hoe long.

make up some story about some greedy person who was digging nd found it..

(idea came from saii's storyline, which is amazing :D a good read!)

Eldwen: Pretty nice shot! Needs some more details though, like you stated yourself :) Other than that, don't change it!

Simma: Good suggestion, I'll start working on it. Now just hope that Saii doesn't mind :) Here goes the first part for a bit. (Nevermind the spelling, it's typed fast and just outta my head this time...)

Orchania.

Selains followers had always been looked at with disrespect by those who didn't know them well, only the few who did get to know them got to respect their style of life, how they never broke their words, even if that word was given to a complete stranger.

This was the main reason the Orchans were surpressed by other races, their homes burned down, their children taken away from them. At one point it became so bad, Selain interfered.

The God built a city for his devoted and loyal followers, far away from the hatred that had followed them for so long. Orchania he called this city.

He built it deep underground, so deep even the dwarves wouldn't ever dig there, only a few small gaps ensuring there was sunlight and plenty of air. The houses he built were big, he stored plenty of food for the Orchans, and made sure farms would cover up for the rest of the demand for food.

When he finally finished, he called to his followers, told them to make sure they were ready to be transported away from their homes. Some told their friends that they would leave them, go to a better place, to a city built by their God. That is how the legend of Orchania came into being.

(First part... next coming up)

No problem at all go for it :D. I like the angle you're coming from too, giving the Orchans some nobility and a reason why they'd support Selain even when he's being a bit of a mercenary :wink:.

Thanks! :)

Here's the next part:

But ofcourse, most Orchans had promised to never leave their best mates side, and some of those best mates were not Orchan at all.

This is why some Orchans still remained on the surface of the planet, regretting they could not come along with the others, but proud of their decision afterall.

To console these Orchans, Selain wrote a book, in Orchan ofcourse, showing them or their offspring a way to enter Orchania, if they'd ever change their mind. But none of the Orchans left on the surface ever thought of going to Orchania, their word was worth more than that.

Over centuries, the languages changed, and only a mere wise wizards remembered how to read the ancient Orchan, but they never shared the knowledge of the book Selain wrote with anyone. This is how the story of Orchania slowly turned from fact to myth to legend.

The legend that was finally heard by a Dwarf called Aplistos was so many times retold and added to, it seemed like Orchania was built of gold, the vegetation was pure silver and the roads were paved with titanium. Gold coins were worth nothing in Orchania, they were thrown on huge piles, or mixed up with the food for the pigs, much like the rubbish on the surface.

Aplistos, being a dwarf, was much interested in this story, for he had always been rich, but never rich enough. So, he bribed a wizard into telling him the excact location of Orchania, payed some dwarfs to carry his goods and dig along with him, and started his expedition.

It didn't take long to find the site where they had to dig, the mage had been really clear about that. But the ground was solid rock, hard to dig through. Not caring how long it would take to get to his own Heaven, Aplistos ordered his dwarven followers to start digging.

After a year of digging, they finally breached the upper cealing of Orchania. Aplistos was overjoyed when he heard the message, and went down instantly, only to find his legend to be false. In his frustration he started yelling at the peaceful Orchans in Orchania, which they didn't appreciate. Aplistos was killed.

But he wasn't the only one who knew of Orchania now, his fellow diggers returned home, telling the secret to everyone who wanted to hear it. 'Orchania was discovered! Come along, we'll show you! It's a paradise of gold and silver!'

And so the outer world came to know about Orchania, the peace in which the Orchans had lived for over a thousand years had been interrupted, and again they were followed and hunted down by those who did not know them, this time for deceiving them that their city had been a golden one...

I like most of the background you guys have posted here. Can you all develop them further? Once the P2P continent comes out, we can see if there are any matches, and then just post the stories up, or if there aren't, we can adapt them to a city on the first continent.

-Lyn-

Gardenia-city of the Gnomes

muhahaha lol

Now thats original, Garden with an added -ia suffix meaning territory or country....isnt that the coolest thing ever lol. Took me like 7 seconds for that one and it is actually a wonderful name lol.

You wouldn't happen to know a bread company by that name, would you? :P Their slogan is "so good you can even eat it on its own..."

Man thats horible who would name a bread company Gardenia lol its the perfect gnome homeland name lol.

Do not fret, I will name the homeland something intriguing or extremely boring...not sure what I shall call it at the moment.

Kay: Shame that's not upto me, Moony will probably set the PvP area's, so if that story is going to be used, he is the one that can make sure the city is safe. (Although I don'T know if there's a problem with monsters entering the city and things like that...)