Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scarr

processor

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHZ (socket 775)

Intel PentiumD 950 3.4GHz 4Mb (socket 775)

the core 2 one is expensiver then the other one... so i guess its better?

can some1 explain me the diffrence between these 2 processors, is duo core like twice the Ghz? or ?

pls let me know :]

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHZ (socket 775)

Intel PentiumD 950 3.4GHz 4Mb (socket 775)

the core 2 one is expensiver then the other one... so i guess its better?

can some1 explain me the diffrence between these 2 processors, is duo core like twice the Ghz? or ?

pls let me know :]

Dual core processors are faster because you are basically buying 2 2GHz processors as opposed to 1 3.4 GHz processor.

Unless you're into doing stuff like SETI 24/7 or are getting Windows Vista MegaSuperPro or whatever the top version is called (you'll need 8GB memory :D) stick to the cheaper (and extremely adequate) 3.4GHz

On a normal system, doing normal things you won't notice that much difference.

With the money you save, double or even quadruple your memory, you'll find much more value doing that, and have a rig that will last at least a few years :(

Reviews: http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-memory/r...-E6700-X6800/p5

and an older review for the other chip:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-memory/r...entium-4-670/p5

Edited by LabRat

so basicly the core 2 duo is 4.0 ghz? or cant u compare it to normal processors :/

i need a good one that can run good games like cod2 and new tiberium wars game that will come out in march :<

wich processor would u suggest ?

im saving up for some good shit u know, something like 4.0 ghz if it exists if u know what im saying :>

Edited by scarr

well just need 1 for gaming,i probly wanna spend 250-300 on a processor

i want play latest games ;<

Well current games dont run much faster on c2d than on p4 but future games most likely will support 2 cores so...go for c2d I'd say. You can also overclock easily unlike the p4 :D.

yeh i think i save up 1k euro or so and buy some new gear ;*O

so basicly the core 2 duo is 4.0 ghz? or cant u compare it to normal processors :/
no. it depends on what you're doing with your computer... you may get performance barely better than a single-core 2.0GHz CPU, or you may get performance similar to 3.0GHz, maybe even 3.5... if what you're doing is mostly on CPU work (calculations, etc, without much need to use the memory of the computer), especially if you have several things going at once (eg: main thread and music/network/etc threads in ELC) then multiple cores are more useful. if the slow point is reading/writing from memory or hard drive (or networking, or waiting for the user, etc) then you don't get much benefit

no. it depends on what you're doing with your computer... you may get performance barely better than a single-core 2.0GHz CPU, or you may get performance similar to 3.0GHz, maybe even 3.5... if what you're doing is mostly on CPU work (calculations, etc, without much need to use the memory of the computer), especially if you have several things going at once (eg: main thread and music/network/etc threads in ELC) then multiple cores are more useful. if the slow point is reading/writing from memory or hard drive (or networking, or waiting for the user, etc) then you don't get much benefit

i think scarr just plays games etc not calculate 100 factorial :P

and?

my point is that the benefit you get from a dual core CPU varies depending on how you use it. even in games. a few games may be set up to make use of multiple cores (and hence get a decent boost from it) while others generally aren't (for example, in EL, the 3D thread uses far more CPU time than all the other threads together) and won't see much of an improvement (although if you have other stuff running at the same time, like a music player, you'll probably still see some benefit)

i do more things on my comp then just gaming

photoshop,indesign,illustrator,would be nice to have them runing allat once np

same with cod2,iRC,ventrilo,all seeing eye xfire etc ;>

thx ttlanthil for ur explanation altho i didnt understand 90% of it, i think i should ask in shop for some information in dutch ofcourse :o

---

another question:

1# Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40Ghz (socket 775) € 322,50

2# Intel Pentium4 661 3.6GHz 2Mb (socket 775) € 259,00

wich one would you go for ? ..second one looks better? but is cheaper :/

if you would play games etc and also do some photoshop in spare time

i'm planning to buy a computer that can play the newest games

and is there also a 4.0ghz ? or is 3,6 the latest and then it starts at duel 2core ?

the second one has a faster clock speed, but that doesn't mean it's better.

the newer CPUs not only have multiple cores these days (meaning they're able to do more at the same time), but are also more efficient at what they do.

for certain tasks, a core 2 duo CPU may be more than twice as fast as a pentium4. even at those clock speeds.

of the above CPUs, the core 2 duo is likely to outperform the P4 for many tasks... and use less power / generate less heat at the same time

Ah so if a game requires lets say 3,0ghz

Is the 'Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHZ (socket 775)' stil a good processor for this game ?

---

so if its bether, then i guess i go for a good d2core processor ..thx and i guess i need a 775 socket motherboard with it

if the game is designed to make use of dual core CPUs (which most aren't yet) then probably not. the other advances may make it equivalent, but they may not.

if the game engine is new and good enough to make use of dual core, then (unless it's asking for a dual core 3.0GHz) quite likely it would be good enough

AMD 3200+

I know it is getting outdated and i am going to buy a duel core very soon.

Also GFX card is a G-force 7600GT PCI-E 256mb.