Eternal Lands Official Forums
JohnTheWarder

Saddam Hussein executed in Iraq

Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been executed by hanging at an unspecified location in Baghdad for crimes against humanity. Iraqi TV said the execution took place just before 0600 local time (0300GMT).

The news was confirmed to the BBC by the Iraqi Deputy Foreign Minister, Labeed Abawi.

Saddam Hussein's half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti and former Iraqi chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bandar, are also reported to have been executed.

All three were sentenced to death by an Iraqi court on 5 November after a year-long trial over the 1982 killings of 148 Shias in the town of Dujail.

"Criminal Saddam was hanged to death," state-run Iraqiya television announced, as patriotic music and images of national monuments were broadcast.

Saddam Hussein was hanged first, followed by Barzan and then Bandar, it announced.

A scrolling headline read: "Saddam's execution marks the end of a dark period of Iraq's history."

Mariam al-Rayes, an ally of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, told the TV station that the execution "was filmed and God willing it will be shown. There was one camera present, and a doctor was also present".

Other Arab TV stations aired live footage of the sunrise over Baghdad's Firdous Square, where US Marines pulled down a statue of Saddam Hussein, after he was deposed in April 2003.

Its a sad day for humanity..I have mixed emotions about this.

I am against detah penalty, at all times, for I dont think its our right to take anyones life..thats not up to us..

But..I also must say, if anyone should touch my children, I wouldnt know how I react..mixed feelings, indeed..still..a sad day for humanity..

Jez

yeah i agree with blee, hanging him was almost kind of them, after everything he did, (his crimes against humanity) the mas genecide of the shiites can almost be compared with the holocaust, just think, if they had caught hitler would he have been hung? no they should lock them up in a room filled with family pictures of all the people they had hurt/killed.

Sure true..

But i dont think taking away a life is a good payment for what he has done.

I know, i know.. i read all about his history but still i dont think the world shows more

humanity when they make Death as a judgement.

I know i would say "kill him" when he would touch anyone i love.. but that are emotions we all

cant control.

thats just my oppinion.

I'm against death penalty. I'm absolutely disappointed with way the process was done. It was known from very beginning what the judgement. What was the circus for then? Publicity and illusion of fairness. Silly.

I keep thinking that life penalty is way worse than death one. Imagine sitting in the same room for 20-60 years. With same view out of the window. With 1 hour of walk daily. No company, but guards.

So yes, I agree they should judge him for worse penalty - life time with no chances of earlier coming on freedom.

Digression. All this court was just politics. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am so glad he was not tried in the USA. He would be walking free now with Mike Jackson and OJ.

So basically, you would kill him without the process, yes?

I agree they should judge him for worse penalty - life time with no chances of earlier coming on freedom.

problem there is that there would be a chance of him getting free, the judges in this case and everyone involved were under attack and had assasins after them, i dont agree with the death penalty normally but him being alive would have ended up with others killing even more people just to try to free him. altho, his death will have others killing even more people for the fact that he has been killed now, so its kinda a lose-lose situation.

i think its good hes gone but i dont agree with killing anyone or anything. killing a killer doesnt make it right, its just 2 wrongs.

Ireland got rid pf the death penalty 100's of years ago.. but that's not the point..., he did kill hundreds of people but nobody should be killed for killing, or then they're as low as the killer themselves :/

I also don't believe in the death penalty. This was a lose, lose situation. but most of us are thinking in an american way or what ever other country. You have to realize what these people believe in. You must also realize that they dont have prisons like other countrys. The're still trying to bring up a government. There was no way really for them to keep him away from the world with no chance for him to get free and start his rain of power again. I don't like the way they handled the situation, but they did what they thought was right for their country. I dont really see how they could have handled it better. some of you say lock him up and never let him see the light of day again. I have just one question for you, Where? If yall dont agree with me fine, but I've said what I thought.

Edited by Gandalf2

you have a very good point gandalf, i hadnt thought of the fact that they are still trying to create a government there now. let alone the lack of prisons there. and even if there were prisons there the prison he was in would have been attacked relentlessly untill they had freed sadam. as much as i dont belive in killing anyone or thing, its better off this way. its garunteed that he wont regain controll.

Just assume that execution is a way to set up a meeting between them and God.

Just assume that execution is a way to set up a meeting between them and God.

god is the one that should decide when they have a meeting, not anyone else.

I agree with Happy_G only God should decide when someone is to meet him

we have already determined that they dont have a stable government yet, still trying to establish it, therefor the law here that causes separation of church and state means nothing to them, and also that meant nothing to god. just b/c the decision is suposed to keep religion out of it, doesnt mean that god then accepts the killing of one another.

you have a very good point gandalf, i hadnt thought of the fact that they are still trying to create a government there now. let alone the lack of prisons there.

Lack of prisons is the least important of arguments. There are other ways of dealing with uncomfortable prisoners (khe, khe, guantanamo, khe, khe).

But anyway, this discussion is pointless. It is clear that Saddam wasn't executed because of the crimes he committed. Dubya simply wanted a publicity stunt, and in his Texan brain if the horse-stealer isn't hanged, then justice is not served. The death of As-Sadr (who was an actual commander, not just a symbol, like Saddam) didn't improve the situation in Iraq at all, so I fail to see why Saddam's death would.

Also, explaining the execution as clearing the world of a criminal, is plainly silly. There are other bloodthirtsty dictators in the world, but nobody's going to twitch a finger about them, because they are either useful or dangerous. Saddam was neither useful nor dangerous (or so it seemed), which is why he had to die. Do you honestly think that Pinochet was any better? No, he wasn't. Was Batista? No, he wasn't. But they were on Washington's paylist, so they were never put to justice. And what about American crimes in Vietnam?

History is written by winners. That's how the world works. There are no good guys and no bad guys, there's no justice and no morality in politics, there's only raison d'état. Grow up, you're not in kindergarten anymore.

Edited by Mireille

Not that i support the death penalty for some earlier mentioned reasons, but he got what he deserves.

Now lets go and hang all those who brought him into power and supported him for many years, gave him the WMD's to gas the Kurds and made a lot of money with him. AKA the Bushes, Rumsfeld, Cheney and others, then "Justice will be done".

Killing only Saddam makes no sense since ppl are still around who would just start wars just to make money. Every shot down US helicopter in Iraq, every destroyed US tank in Afghanistan is fast cash for those ppl.

Didnt Eisenhower mentioned something about that? I think he did, and that for a reason.

Piper

Killing someone will never solve a problem!

Sure that person will never do something bad again but how about all the ppl thats gone revenge his death?

This is only causing more problems then it solves.