Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

The 12 days of Christmas clarification

As some of you know, I am new to the great American culture, so I am asking for a clarification about this poem.

First of all, I thought there was 1 day of Christmas, afterall Jesus was born once, not 12 times.

The other thing is, Roja believes that the gifts are given only once, while I believe they are cummulative.

For example:

On the first day of Christmas,

my true love sent to me

A partridge in a pear tree.

On the second day of Christmas,

my true love sent to me

Two turtle doves,

And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the third day of Christmas,

my true love sent to me

Three French hens,

Two turtle doves,

And a partridge in a pear tree.

[...]

The question is, how many "partridge in a pear tree" did the person get? 1 in total, or one for each day?

Another question would be, why in the fucking world would someone send a "partridge in a pear tree" as a gift? Why not send something useful such as money, a gift card, a computer, a book, some candies, etc?

P.S. The word "fucking" in the previous sentence is used as an intensifier, so there is nothing obscene about it, ok?

Its off-topic, but oh well.

12 pains of Christmas - Weird Al

Not the actual clip I think, but oh well. ;p

-Blee

P.S. Ent, read the link from bkc, you can find most things there.

This makes the total number of gifts given (counting 12 partridges, 22 turtle doves...) equal to 364, one fewer than the number of days in a year. There are 376 gifts if you count the pear tree as a separate gift from the partridge that resides in it. Of the 364 total items, 184 of them are birds.
Edited by BleedingSoul

I'm rather ignorant to the great American culture, but I believe that maybe the author was ungrateful and did not not accept his love's gifts, so every day greater gifts have been sent.

The 12 days of christmas is intwine with the bible i think

Religious symbolism of The Twelve Days of Christmas (The 12 Days of Christmas)

1 True Love refers to God

2 Turtle Doves refers to the Old and New Testaments

3 French Hens refers to Faith, Hope and Charity, the Theological Virtues

4 Calling Birds refers to the Four Gospels and/or the Four Evangelists

5 Golden Rings refers to the first Five Books of the Old Testament, the "Pentateuch", which gives the history of man's fall from grace.

6 Geese A-laying refers to the six days of creation

7 Swans A-swimming refers to the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, the seven sacraments

8 Maids A-milking refers to the eight beatitudes

9 Ladies Dancing refers to the nine Fruits of the Holy Spirit

10 Lords A-leaping refers to the ten commandments

11 Pipers Piping refers to the eleven faithful apostles

12 Drummers Drumming refers to the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed

http://www.carols.org.uk/the_twelve_days_of_christmas.htm

Edited by cho-yun

The Twelve Days of Christmas has ancient roots and many meanings, even pagan. It's a popular Christmas carol in the US mostly IMO due to the style of song where each verse is repeated and added to. "Old MacDonald Had a farm" is a kids song with the same style, and many more I can think of... all with old English sources, the repetition of the verse makes it easy to remember up to a point! When you get up to '17 lummoxes a' lummoxing' things start to turn into a laugh fest!!

The song has been played with and altered in many ways, from political to silly to perverted, just think of what you can replace 'maids a' milking' or 'lords a' leaping' with! Come to think of it.... EL needs a version!! Hmm...

The EL Days of Christmas

On the First day of Christmas, the Wraith he gave to me:

A leather helmet and a sword from a branch of a tree.....

On the Second day of Christmas, the Wraith he gave to me:

Two tons of tit(anium,) and a sword from a branch of a tree....

On the Third.... *NEXT!* (manipulate at will, Merry Christmas!)

The question is, how many "partridge in a pear tree" did the person get? 1 in total, or one for each day?

Hmmm I can't say I ever thought about it, it was one of those things that you knew since you were old enough to talk/sing, and just accepted with no thought/question.

I guess, now that I am thinking about it, in my mind I had thought (without really realizing it) as Roja does, the gifts were given just once and the repetition in mentioning them was just to give a listing of presents to date in total.

But in analyzing the grammar, and thinking further, I now wonder if you might be right... I *think* it's as Roja says, but I guess it could just as well be what you say. I mean really...if somebody is literally giving a partridge in a pear tree for a gift, it isn't any more bizarre to give 12 of them :P No way to tell though :blush:

2*12

Did you count the tree too?

yes, this part of the equation is counting day one as 2 presents, and also 2 presents for each of the other 11 days.

how did the partridge get in the pear tree if its a ground nesting bird? like why would it be there...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partridge

So it doesn't run away of course! Its wings were probably clipped too, so it couldnt fly away... them partriges are tricky creatures... and because there were no cages, you use a tree! Simply magic. Who wants to fall out of a tree anyway?

.... buncha analysts! :blush:

On the Third day of Christmas, Raven gave to me....

Three Gobs a' gobblin', two tons o' titanium, and a sword from a branch of a tree....

On the Fourth day of Christmas, Lord Luxin gave to me....

Four Ferans fondling, three Gobs a' gobblin', two tons o' titanium, and a sword from a branch of a tree....

(another point is that each 'gift' is more impressive than the last)

Okee, stop surmising the scientific, and start singing! It's the birthday of some god or other!! The important thing is the comraderie we share across time zones, or else... :P

It's the birthday of some god or other!!
nah. yule is celebrated because it's the winter/summer equinox. plus you have christmas tacked on the top as part of an effort to convert the earlier religion. no, that's not the birth of christ, and even if it was, he's the son of god to christians (though also god to some of them, but it's still not a religion-wide thing)

</trivia>

Quite so, TT! Personally I'm less than a pagan... heathen might fit... but they foisted Santa and a creche' on my youth so I still believe a day to celebrate stuff is for good fun! Make up carols and sing them loud at people who hate you, guzzle egg nog without the dairy products (nutmeg and booze, easy on the nutmeg,) eat dead beasts, dress strange, attack neighbors with funny colored light bulbs, buy nothing, mail nothing, squeeze everyone you can approach dressed like you are.... etcetera!

On the Fifth day of Christmas, Judith gave to me....

FIVE IP RINGS!!

Four Ferans fondling,

three Gobs a' gobblin',

two tons o' titanium,

and a sword from a branch of a tree....

Mugwump, have you looked look the stories/song section?

.... buncha analysts! :blush:

On the Third day of Christmas, Raven gave to me....

Three Gobs a' gobblin',

lmao :P gobbling = slang term for oral sexual activity here in the UK tut tut so rude Mug

Lol, Conavar (that's an old model of Chevrolet, by the way! :D ) I didn't mean it to be rude, it's the sound that turkeys make in the US.... That's why Brits started to populate these habitats in the first place, for the birds! *wink, wink* :w00t:

cho-yun Posted Today, 02:19 PM

Mugwump, have you looked look the stories/song section?

You've got a point! Nobody feels like singin' here in General Chat.... sorry to monopolize the subject!

Here's another example for Entropy....

Children Go Where I Send Thee

This page has an easily readable lyric as sung by Yankee folk singers Peter, Paul & Mary, there are ten verses here, but I've heard twelve altogether. Take note of the web address.... Czechoslovakia! I know this song as a roof rising Southern Baptist black gospel number, if you can find a copy by someone like Mahalia Jackson, Marion Williams, Aretha Franklin, Odetta, etc.... you WILL be on your feet with your hands in the air for Christmas!!

(Six sacks of sulphur!)

how did the partridge get in the pear tree if its a ground nesting bird? like why would it be there...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partridge

So it doesn't run away of course! Its wings were probably clipped too, so it couldnt fly away... them partriges are tricky creatures... and because there were no cages, you use a tree! Simply magic. Who wants to fall out of a tree anyway?

nailed down?

It's an English Christmas song/carol. The gifts are not cumulative, but one given each day starting on the 25th of December until the 6th of January.

A quick search via Google would have told you this.

Another question would be, why in the fucking world would someone send a "partridge in a pear tree" as a gift? Why not send something useful such as money, a gift card, a computer, a book, some candies, etc?

P.S. The word "fucking" in the previous sentence is used as an intensifier, so there is nothing obscene about it, ok?

And can you imagine the trouble of trying to wrap it or deliver it . The poor postman give himself a hernia lugging trees about

P.S. The word Fucking is obscene in what ever context it is used :w00t: lol but im big enough and ugly enough not to be worried by a bit of language :D