Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

In the spirit of the holidays...

Just thought I'd post this link to a site that features a movement that I thought deserves some attention. It's called Invisible Children and it was started by a few young people wanting to make a difference for the children in Uganda. The started a "bracelet campaign" and employ the people of Uganda to make bracelets that are sold in the US to generate money to go back to Uganda:

http://www.invisiblechildren.com/

It just goes to show you that if you stand up and believe in something, you can make it happen :devlish:

Feel free to post here any info and links to legitimate sites of worthy causes. And maybe instead of buying ourselves that extra something-we-don't-really-need, we can instead donate to something more important.

Thats a pr0 organization, they came and did a presentation at my church, it was amazing. Great job Roja. PLEASE Support them, it is a very great cause. :D

Edited by The_Knight

Sorry to see such a short thread on such an important subject, but then I'm on Public Assistance and Food Stamps myself. The result of not having health insurance in the US.

I do my giving and sharing locally, an old friend picks me up and we go help a local organization make meals for the elderly and homeless. I'm also trying to get the growing local population of rich folk to donate old computers and related equipment to organizations like libraries, social clubs, etc. for the not-so rich folk. Somehow we will find a way to get free internet for every household everywhere! 20 miles from NYC, the wealthiest community in the US and we have families who can't afford telephones..... just phone cards once a month.

I feel fortunate to be able to share my landlords phone for the net and a free ISP on dial-up. Meanwhile, out in the street there's a fiber optic cable..... should be a given thing for every human being by now. Not that they would all log into EL! For the education, regular information, and enconomical benefit equally and mutually for all. Dream on, right? :w00t: OK, so ya can't wake me up, ever! I'll still believe in humanity, and we will fix it all for good, if my name ain't Pollyanna.... um, I mean.... :D

Yes I know its the seasons of good will to all man but I NEVER donate money to any charity that sends it outside the UK.

Yes its all very sad that children are starving and hungry in other parts of the world but there are also children living in poverty (which is scandalous for a so called developed nation) and being abuse in this country,so all my donations go to helping children in this country . Im a firm believer of getting your own house in order first.

<<< the best charity in the world in my opinion ( which is proberly totally against other peoples views )

Yes I know its the seasons of good will to all man but I NEVER donate money to any charity that sends it outside the UK.

Well a lot of people all over the world need help. I don't think it matters where you send it, as long as the organization is true to it's word of where the money goes(or whatever it is you're doing). Help out anywhere you can :D

I think that one of the best and most trustworthy organizes around where i am is the salvation army, i donate stuff there all the time, at least when i donate to them i know its not a scam and the people who run it actually give the donations to those who need it most.

Edited by redsoxlovr10

I think that one of the best and most trustworthy organizes around where i am is the salvation army, i donate stuff there all the time, at least when i donate to them i know its not a scam and the people who run it actually give the donations to those who need it most.

Ditto :D I donate to the Salvation Army every paycheck through something called CFC (Combined Federal Campaign). The Salvation Army helped my family when we grew up dirt poor, no strings attached and they have lots of branches all over the country. But other than that I only make like 600 a paycheck so I don't like giving money to charities. I'm strapped for cash myself, even though I have job security for another 3 miserable years :w00t: OORAH and Semper Fi...

Well a lot of people all over the world need help. I don't think it matters where you send it, as long as the organization is true to it's word of where the money goes(or whatever it is you're doing). Help out anywhere you can :P

That is very true but personally i cant justify sending money to help someone 1000's of miles away when there is proberly a child in need 100 yards away.Thats just my own personal politics and to me its the same as religion (aethist by the way) ive got my own beliefs but i will never knock anyone for being differant.Fair play to all those who send money outside there own countrys thats there perogative .

Like you said though as long as the money is being used for what it was intended then it doesnt matter what our views.all that matters is we help out in our own way