Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GarfieldClowntje

harvesting improved (or not? :P)

I did do a search, and not even the older suggestion dont have this idea :brooding:

Picture this:

You walk to a mine ...

Find yourself a nice spot to start mining ...

[[with movement from other thread??]] You start banging on the ores

Why would the ore jump right in your inventory?

It falls to the ground, where you are standing and some will fall around you

Most ore will be at your position, so no worries for afk harvesters ;-)

So you get 4/5 bags around you, slowly filling them.

If you go to a mine in a group, you can go stay close together, and 'catch' eachothers dropped ore by standing on that spot.

People with lower harv levels can benefit from people with higher harv levels (like in tit mine ;)) to get close to a few other harvesters and grab the 1 or 2 ores that fall on there spot.

(*it will also introduce 1 new bagjumper way, but hey :) arent we all a little bit like pirates? argh*)

(*someone afk harvesting, <playername> just hit a teleport nexus, so he/she departed us*)

(*someone else walking by hmm ^^ ores ^^ yummie*) :mace:

(*bag gone*)

(*player back from afk: "wtf happened?"...*)

BUT!:

(idea 2)

If you stay close together in a group and you are all banging the wall, wall collapses should occure more and hit the group (the surrounding squares from the epicentrum). A square got 8 positions around it, but at a wall you dont have 1 side of the square, so in a cave - at a wall you would have 5 spots around a centrumsquare that is affected with the wall collapse.

Maybe max damage 30/35 in the center and 15-20 to the squares around it.

If you are banging a wall by yourself, you will get less Wall collapsments, but offcourse they still occur from time to time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about it

comments please :D

GarfieldClown

I feel idea 1 is not a good idea. If you want the higher level harvests then work your way up there and do the necessary research. You shouldn't have to bagjump the good stuff.

I feel idea 2 is a very good idea. When a cavern wall collapses it should affect more than one player. The player in the center should get more damage than the surrounding players.

I feel idea 1 is not a good idea. If you want the higher level harvests then work your way up there and do the necessary research. You shouldn't have to bagjump the good stuff.

true :brooding: (I didnt make this idea for myself, am lvl 71 harvester so no probs in all for me) but doesnt it make it more interesting?

I feel idea 2 is a very good idea. When a cavern wall collapses it should affect more than one player. The player in the center should get more damage than the surrounding players.

:) my point

I am lvl 39 harvester and still a noob, I want to work my way up there. If people are allowed to pick up other peoples harvests off of the ground then that will just be another way for people to hit the outlaw section and bring down the spirit of the game.

I love this game and don't want to anything that will ruin the good community spirit that we have now.

Edited by MorathVeroll

I kinda semi like idea 2, but idea 1 would just cause bagspam - 6 bags per person harvesting, it would not take much for legitimate bags to disappear.

How do you kill an AFK player in the mine? Loads of some unnamed bad guild members all sit round one afk player mining with abandon. They keep taking hits, he dies. They get a COL and cape, he comes back and finds himself in hell.

most of the ores will go in your own bag (your position)

like 70% or more

the remaining 30% will be scatteres in the 5 spots around you, so only 6% per spot there.

And the 70% can increasing more and more while your harvest level increases (better precision in the skill, just as you lose less items when levels increase)

maybe even up to 90% in your own bag you are sitting on and only 2% per spot areound you.

I made this suggestion primalary for the fact that it is unlogic that the ores will go directly into your inventory ... I think that is the main thing that should change

I kinda semi like idea 2, but idea 1 would just cause bagspam - 6 bags per person harvesting, it would not take much for legitimate bags to disappear.

How do you kill an AFK player in the mine? Loads of some unnamed bad guild members all sit round one afk player mining with abandon. They keep taking hits, he dies. They get a COL and cape, he comes back and finds himself in hell.

ROFL PWND haha good one :brooding: haha

AFAIK there's a "pick up time" included in the time it takes to harvest stuff, so that problem is taken care of. Imagine you harvest one unit of ore and store it in your inventory, then harvest the next, there's no reason to harvest it and put it in a bag at your feet in that scenario.

And as was said, it's unlikely that a major source of bag spam (percentages don't really matter) will be introduced into the game, not to speak of all the bagjumper flames in outlaw forum this would cause.

I agree with LabRat on idea number 2, that would have to be tweaked (perhaps make it more like <=5 loss on adjacent tiles) to prevent too easily abusing that, but after all AFK harvest is against game rules (so if you are halfway prepared and "not really" AFK you should survive). But in principle dying like that does make sense to me.

Can you explain to me how this idea will make it more fun to play?

Can you explain to me that this will not equal bag spamming?

Can you explain to me why it should be logical that such a "feature" will promote the so much hated bagjumping?

This is a game, people play it to relax and enjoy themselves. Suggestions that makes it harder and more dangerous without any other flips than to satisfy someone's lust to make suggestions, will not benefit the community or the game.

I know we have a few things that may seem to be dangerous and silly, but they are actually balanced and makes sense if you analyze them.

I wasn't talking about AFK harvesting, I meant purely AFK. The rockfall would have to be pretty selective to only hit the ones that are actually harvesting.

On the bag thing:

I can see what is intended, but I think there are less problematic ways to enhance the mining experience.

On the area affects:

It would be reasonable to expect people to stop going AFK in potentially dangerous areas, such as at mine faces.

Giving rock falls and gas explosions an area effect fits their description; and it could have interesting effects on the way the game is played.

Mining becomes more dangerous, the more crowded the location is (greater chance of an event in your area), so miners may spread out more. The frequency of such events would need to be decreased to compensate.

Area effect events could improve the collective feel of the game; characters are part of a group who were affected, rather than a set of unrelated individuals.

On a slight deviation:

Being hit by a collapsing wall
(etc)
should have a chance to damage equipment, as-if hit by an opponent. I tend to see people in the mines in their sunday best titanium armour; good protection without risk of losing it.

Edited by trollson

So to sum it up:

GarfieldClown found a rostogol stone

Ant_Store jumps the bag with the rostogol stone

A cavern wall collapsed on Ant_Store

Ant_Store checks out early

Sounds like fun :o

Might be the worst ideas on a long time but well...

Idea 1:

Just pure crap... if your gonna put "logic" like that ore falls on ground then maybe we all should get to carry 2 item max since most races have 2 hands... Maybe where you want to be is an english coal mine, I bet theres alot of work for you there. Conclusion: Open the bin.

Idea 2:

As Labrat mentioned it would mean that no one can be afk while sitting even remotely close to a cavern wall or any ore/crystal. So the idea is for the bin=o

bin == trash can. =p

I don't like the sound of this idea because wont you be like harvesting a few ore then: You started Harvesting... You Stopped Harvesting, from going on to bag to bag. So i don't get how it will make the game more fun, maybe more stressful...

Edited by duckyo

It would be reasonable to expect people to stop going AFK in potentially dangerous areas, such as at mine faces.
never had the phone ring when in the mines? or the doorbell? many cases it may be true, but unexpected interruptions will show up sooner or later... do we have to beam then, when the phone rings? that's a hassle

I like that people are trying to make EL more realistic and interesting, but I don't think this is a good way to do it

Edited by ttlanhil

don't like the first idea one bit, but idea 2 sounds good, but perhaps only for a 2 or 3 tile radius, and HELL NO to the idea of armor damage, nobody wants to lose their exc cape while mining coal.

never had the phone ring when in the mines? or the doorbell? many cases it may be true, but unexpected interruptions will show up sooner or later... do we have to beam then, when the phone rings?
Then the same is already true in PK areas, or anywhere outdoors just before the acid rain falls. Dangerous areas exist already, so the risk is not new.

If the phone goes, a single click on the map away from the mine face will (usually) take you to safety. This is marginally less effort than entering a building to avoid acid rain, or leaving a PK map in a rush. While movement is often blocked due to crowds in popular mining areas, one side effect of area damage would be that these crowds thin out for their own safety.

HELL NO to the idea of armor damage, nobody wants to lose their exc cape while mining coal.
Nobody wants to lose anything, but why shouldn't a rock fall have a chance of damaging equipment, when a weaker hit from a club does?

On the specific point of excavator capes; this would increase the worth of the excavator perk.

Edited by trollson