Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

bot owners...

Please add forum user Riva to the list. Due to how Adarah is maintained, both her current programmer and GM of Riva will have access to the account.

If you would prefer separate accounts, please let me know.

Thanks.

Please add forum user Riva to the list. Due to how Adarah is maintained, both her current programmer and GM of Riva will have access to the account.

If you would prefer separate accounts, please let me know.

Thanks.

That would be miles and who? I would think the members of this section would prefer to know who they are talking to each time, really...

Edit: Ok after talking to shallara ingame, we decided on drakos7(programmer, awn ingame) and shallara(one of the owners) to be Adarah's representatives.

Ok section made.

Anybody else wishing to be added please post here stating so, along with ingame name and bot name(s).

Please add me as well.

In-game name: scafativ

bot name: gossip

scaf

JusT has several bots, with the_antiroot no longer playing, I'm in charge of the guild. Still looking at getting official owner ship of our bots. So not sure where that leaves me, JusT thought I would post for now!

Ingame name Ice

Trade Bots

Nera

Emporium

Guard Bots

Kathkusa

SigSegV

Edited by Ice

Guest Trojan_Knight

I would like to have access to the bot owner forum also please.

My game name is: Trojan_Knight

Name of my bot is: Honor

Honor is a Guild Admin / Market Bot

I would like to ask. That since I do own my bot. But because of my hetic real life schedule. That you would also consider the person I ask, have trust in, that runs my bot for me. To be included in being allowed to have access to the bot owner forums as well. His name is

Deadhead

I would like to ask. That since I do own my bot. But because of my hetic real life schedule. That you would also consider the person I ask, have trust in, that runs my bot for me. To be included in being allowed to have access to the bot owner forums as well. His name is

Deadhead

Pssst read the whole thread, he's already in :fire:

Whether or not a forum should exist I do not know, but the reasons listed are a not really justified I think.

People have been arguing over security through obscurity for quite some time as an argument for closed source over open source. Microsoft claims their software is more secure, because flaws are secret. This has been demonstrated many times to be not true.

It's pointless trying to hide vulnerabilities. If they are openly known, they will be fixed quicker and easier. Additionally, it just makes it harder for bot developers not in the list to be able to fix the bugs in their code. And if ANYONE can get in the list easily enough, so can scammers etc.

Just my 2c of course but as stated, this just seems like the same argument Microsoft have been trying to discredit open source software for a decade.

EDIT: corrected some speling[sic]

Edited by Le Fallen

Whether or not a forum should exist I do not know, but the reasons listed are a not really justified I think.

Please have been arguing over security through obscurity for quite some time as an argument for closed source over open source. Microsoft claims their software is more secure, because flaws are secret. This has been demonstrated many times to be not true.

It's pointless trying to hide vulnerabilities. If they are openly known, they will be fixed quicker and easier. Additionally, it just makes it harder for bot developers not in the list to be able to fix the bugs in their code. And if ANYONE can get in the list easily enough, so can scammers etc.

Just my 2c of course but as stated, this just seems like the same argument Microsoft have been trying to discredit open source software for a decade.

You're pro!

I don't know whether to laugh at you or just rant.

This game is open source, and it has bugs, that is one of the main reasons there is a great development team working on it.

The whole point of the forum is to be able to directly discuss ideas, problems, scam attempts etc with the bot owners and coders - the people that would directly be affected when problems occur.

There is no big bot owner conspiracy, no price fixing or anything daft like that, just a place for contributing members of the game to call their own.

The bot code I use is a highly customised version of a standard trade code, and one that a lot of my hard work has gone into. Only one other person has access to my modified code, the person that gave me the code in the first place, and he uses it. If I see an exploit in my code I fix it and I as know exactly where else my code is running it is but an email away for me to notify the other bot owner.

Exploits can and do get tried on the bots on a fairly regular basis, being able to share the exploit directly with proof of concept methods in one central place pays dividends for the bot owners - they can immediately check to see if their bot is vulnerable and patch it quickly.

We do now have our own private forum, and we are using it successfully to help each other out, and it is showing its value with regard to limiting bot ads on market, keeping all the bot owners aware of alt chars used by bot scammers etc.

Is open source evil? No. Open source means many people can collaborate and share ideas.

Is closed source evil? No. Closed source limits the discovery of exploits in software.

Which do I prefer? I'd have to say I see the arguments for both.

Should open source be banned? Nope. Even governments are going for the open source route now.

Closed source? If you can trust the person that writes the software not to infect your system with malware, adware, spyware, viruses, trojan horses then sure go with it.

Sometimes I like open source, sometimes I like closed. It depends on the reason for wanting one or the other.

Now, why a bot owner forum should put you in mind of Microsoft and their policies regarding open source software I don't know.. If I felt like it I could quite easily decompile any windows program to find out how it works (and have done so very successfully in the past), yay for DLL calls making everything easy for crackers.

Exploiting vulnerabilities in the design of software, or even operating systems themselves does not necessarily make a person evil - I once wrote a program that prevented floppy disks from being copied by changing one byte in the boot sector of the floppy, and prevented even disk duplicators from copying it. Even now, some 13 years later I have not seen one other person doing what I did to prevent software theft, and the same exploit I used works to this very day.

Anyway I'm off now, we bot owners have our own forum, and your post is irrelevant in the extreme.

It has come to my attention that this new forum is for more than just sales bot owners. I would like to be added also.

Bots: kathkusa and sigsegv (JusT/segv guard bots).

Thanks.

Due to misfortune I am now responsible for paying for Richery and also GM of RICH. Lunksnark is still working on our code but as the owner/payer for Richery I would like to be added to the bot forum as well. Thank you very much. I want to say that I definitely agree that we should have a secure bot forum and that there is no way I would consider using the bot owner/coder forum if it were not secure. We don't need to be helping people attack the bots in the game. We have enough stuff to deal with as it is.

TirunCollimdus

I'm also a bot owner.

in-game: Blackthorne

bot: Freya

Personally, I'm against having a private forum. Anything we have to discuss (including exploits) should be open for all to see. However, if others feel we must.

Edited by jamincollins

Guest Annatira

I would like to be added also, please, as owner of SAFE, trade bot for Haven guild.

I would also like for Goldenleo to have access as the guild BotMaster.

In game names Annatira and Goldenleo. Thanks.

Hi, I would like to be added too as owner of the LLL trade bot Lord_Legend.

And also add Moebird as owner of Lady_Legend - our other LLL trade bot.

My in game names LadyBea and Buzzzzie.