Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

bot owners...

as per this:

If you would like, you can start a signup thread for bot owners

please post a yes or no, with reasons if you like... also post the bot's name (purpose if you like, eg talk, trade, etc), and the name you used when registering it, if different from your forum name now.

any post without proof that you have a bot isn't going to count

if you don't have a bot, then don't post, because this is only for bot owners (hence why you have to sign your name to it, no poll)

for me:

I say yes, it'd be handy for discussing bot issues without having to worry about people who don't understand the issues posting, and it's easier to do stuff like put up warnings about potentially troublesome players without having a dozen posts agreeing or disagreeing per message

my bot's name is vakana (games, guild functions, information, trade)

I am a bot owner, but don't really have an opinion on this issue.

I could also set up new forums if someone wanted that instead, just pm me with your bot that you have registered under xxx name, in order to verify that they are a bot owner.

Yes. But as I've already said in another thread, I'd only be interested in a separate area here on EL's forums, not create a new one just for this purpose. (I've listed several reasons in that "Bot Spam" thread we've had going.)

Bot: Vooten

Type: Guild Admin/Trade bot mainly.

Yes.

Why? It was my idea in the first place :D

Bots: Agneum and Titanta, both blessed trade bots.

If I wanted a separate forum I could have set one up myself instead of asking for a private one in these forums.

A place to share real-world bot ideas, and have people with the same skillset and aims to congregate.

For example (and this actually happened recently) If someone tries to scam a bot, I would feel a lot safer posting the method attempted in a private forum with extremely limited access rather than letting the information get into the wild and have other people try the same thing.

And with the current uproar about bot spam (or as I prefer bots doing exactly what the rules state they can) a quiet place to go and talk with like-minded people who understand the frustrations and are able to be a sounding board before any damage is made by people (including myself) going on the offensive and risking getting banned because of their post tone.

As an aside, just how many bot owners are there ingame? I can't see there being many so Aislinn's idea of waiting to see if there will be a large repsonse is not guaranteed. One player (the exalted Learner) owns god knows how many bots, I own a couple, as do others. I would ask that the forum is just set up anyway, and the relevant people added. I can't see much reason for moderation in there, as there won't be much in the way of flaming if the only people that use it are the same ones that it benefits. I don't say no moderators, only no moderation is required. I would hope that moderators and admin would like to join too to discuss ideas, problems and pssible solutions, after all a large percentage of the forum population will be experienced programmers who are by their very nature creative.

Edited by LabRat

No. I think customers should be able to see what is going on...

Not my place to say... but that hasn't stopped me before :hug:

Forums can usually be set up with Read Only rights for some members and full posting rights for others.

As to the Bot owners, they may wish some privacy and we should respect that.

Ikaris

Edited by Ikaris

if you don't have a bot, then don't post, because this is only for bot owners (hence why you have to sign your name to it, no poll)

No. I think customers should be able to see what is going on...

Did you even read?

When a bot is scammed, the owner of the bot warns other bot owners. To include a detailed account of *how* the bot was scammed is necessary information, but in the wrong hands, could be devastating to bot owners EL wide.

How do I know? I have been on the receiving end of said warnings. Though not specifically the 'owner' (Adarah is owned by RIVA, not a sole person) I DO see both the logic and necessity of a private forum for EL bot owners.

Hi,

A private forum section would not disturb anybody. So why not just create one.

But the main bot discussions should be continued in the old bot forum. There are a lot of good tips and hints for ppl, that want to start their own bot or just giving hints what other bot owners could implement.

Ah, yes, I am the owner of Anna, Carolina and Speaker.

Anna and Carolina are trade bots and speaker will get a community bot later. Just don't have the time to finish the development...

A private forum section would not disturb anybody. So why not just create one.

If nobody wants to use it there is no point in creating one, that is why this thread was made - to find out if there is a use for such a forum

Forums can usually be set up with Read Only rights for some members and full posting rights for others.
That would defeat the entire purpose. The idea is not so that other people can't post there, the real issue is that people would only want to talk about certain things (like exploits in code) with other bot owners.

btw, I now see the point in this more, and change my vote to yes :hiya:

edit: However, I don't think this should be used to control prices. If there were plans to set minimum prices on items or something along those lines, I would vote against it.

Edited by Atlantis

For those worried about price setting... STOP it now!

Bot owners have the right to charge 10000000000000000 gc for 1 red snapdragon flower... problem is nobody will buy it.

The player market price will keep the Bot market in check. If a bot charges more than 10% above the player to player price ... nobody will buy the commodity... (some bots appear to have that problem now).

Convenience may have a cost of 5-10% surcharge ... but not much more.

Thank You,

Ikaris

((PS ... Code exploit discussions should be kept private/secret/dropped in a trunk to the bottom of the ocean>>

((PPS ... Yes i will purchase a bot in January -- i think -- can easily afford the thing for a century or two... just trying to figure out what to do with it))

So as to official voting ... Sign me on as Voting for the Private forum ... Pending Purchase of my Bot Account. (Planning an info bot not a trade bot at this point)

--> Somewhere i hear a bot owner screaming and banging their head on their keyboard <--

Edited by Ikaris

That would defeat the entire purpose. The idea is not so that other people can't post there, the real issue is that people would only want to talk about certain things (like exploits in code) with other bot owners.

btw, I now see the point in this more, and change my vote to yes :hiya:

edit: However, I don't think this should be used to control prices. If there were plans to set minimum prices on items or something along those lines, I would vote against it.

Oh no, I wouldn't be one for fixing prices at all either (I experiment with my prices my way and go with what works the best for my bot - if it's not selling, lower it a little until it does, if my buy price is too low, raise it until ppl sell, etc.), and I'm sure most other owners wouldn't go for that either! (If there are some that are inclined to lean that way, I'm sure that could be done with or without a forum area anyway.)

I see this as a good way to share ideas, warn each other of scammers/crackers and to help each other prevent that abuse, try out new things together (like the ad posting ideas we're in the middle of - but on our own without alot of outside interference from ppl that either have no clue, just want to flame, or just post on our topic just to be posting without having a clue what's going on), and as we go along, to come up with even more interesting things we can all contribute to that may possibly add some more flavor to the game.

:wub:

Ok section made.

Bot owners currently added:

ttlanhil

Atlantis

DarElik

LabRat

Artem

Also note that Admin will have access, at this point I think I will add moderators only if they are bot owners and wish to be added. As was pointed out, this group of people shouldn't need much moderating.

Anybody else wishing to be added please post here stating so, along with ingame name and bot name(s).

Ok section made.

Also note that Admin will have access, at this point I think I will add moderators only if they are bot owners and wish to be added. As was pointed out, this group of people shouldn't need much moderating.

Thanks, Aislinn!

Totally understand about Admin having access. In fact, I encourage that anyway. :hiya:

Much appreciated!

For those worried about price setting... STOP it now!

Bot owners have the right to charge 10000000000000000 gc for 1 red snapdragon flower... problem is nobody will buy it.

The player market price will keep the Bot market in check. If a bot charges more than 10% above the player to player price ... nobody will buy the commodity... (some bots appear to have that problem now).

Convenience may have a cost of 5-10% surcharge ... but not much more.

Thank You,

Ikaris

((PS ... Code exploit discussions should be kept private/secret/dropped in a trunk to the bottom of the ocean>>

((PPS ... Yes i will purchase a bot in January -- i think -- can easily afford the thing for a century or two... just trying to figure out what to do with it))

So as to official voting ... Sign me on as Voting for the Private forum ... Pending Purchase of my Bot Account. (Planning an info bot not a trade bot at this point)

--> Somewhere i hear a bot owner screaming and banging their head on their keyboard <--

I'm more worried about prices going too low if it's too easy for the all the bot prices to be checked. A good bot owner should be trying to help the economy, not wreck it!

I don't think its a major problem atm, but it does exist. Some bot owners try to undercut each other by just a little bit, like 1 gc on a 100gc item.

Edited by Atlantis

Actually, I do not object to bots in general... as long as the owners keep them in check... Price Fixing as i mentioned ... will not work.

As an owner of an info bot ... I would present info to new players ... such as the #ignore command ... etc...

I thoroughly do not support a central Registry of bot prices... A player should check their 'flyer' as to buying a dvd player from Futureshop or BestBuy or Amazon or Walmart... SAME WITH THE BOTS.

I Know some of you shiver at the concept of myself joining your ranks. Live with it. It will happen ... I am not joining to drag you down... some of you have 'shown me the light' as to why the bots are necessary. You as owners are a valuable part of the game both as to funding ... and as to player convenience.

I will step up as a player advocate ... (so to speak the Vox Populi) but PRIVATE/CONFIDENTIAL discussions wil be kept so and not released to the public consumption... I may be swinging off the rafters saying such and such is a bad way to go... but what happens in private ... stays there.

You have my PERSONAL word on that.

Ikaris

sure, but that's not all the forum mods do, you know that. being able to sticky/unsticky threads like "these people tried to scam a bot", etc can be handy... maybe the simplest would be for the ingame mods who have bots and want access to have forum mod there? (otherwise the few forum admin will get asked for stuff like that)

sure, but that's not all the forum mods do, you know that. being able to sticky/unsticky threads like "these people tried to scam a bot", etc can be handy... maybe the simplest would be for the ingame mods who have bots and want access to have forum mod there? (otherwise the few forum admin will get asked for stuff like that)

Being an Admin, Bot Owner, & Bot Dev I'll have my nose in there regularly when I'm not coding.

If i am not shot down... mods and admins should agree to a confidientiality clause ... for releasing information outside of the private forum..

Of course... Admin's can do as they wish... but bot Owners/Moderators/Developers should agree to specific terms as to what they publically post from this forum.

Resetting my bloody PayPal in January (or sooner) to sign up as a bot owner. (even if the bot doesn't exist yet) ... give me a Chance (no pun intended) :blink:

to reset paypal and setup a potentially unnamed (Auntie_SPAM) (many other ideas ... so go ahead and pre register the account) bot account.

With an amused look,

Ikaris

Edited by Ikaris

I am in RICH and look after Richery. I think the idea of a separate area to discuss bot issues is a good idea. Can you please add me to the list? Many thanks.

By the way my in-game name is the same as this forum name.

Edited by Lunksnark

I'm Puntif. I own Salt. Sign me up please.