Eternal Lands Official Forums
KarenRei

Can't pick up items

I've experienced this problem most often in the Isle of the Forgotten cave, but it occurs elsewhere, too. Not sure if it's reported elsewhere on here (I looked, but perhaps I didn't recognize the title).

1) Drop an item.

2) Go elsewhere.

3) Move the mouse over the item -- it gives you the "pick up" cursor.

4) Click on it.

Your character walks over to the bag, and the window to pick up items pops up. Only you can't pick them up. To be able to pick them up, you have to click on the bag again. Nothing seems to change visually, but you can now pick up the items.

This bug is age old, yet noone seems to want to fix it ><

Vegar and I did various testing attempting to reproduce it; we managed and came to the conclusion it wasn't a client bug (somewhat obvious really) IIRC.

Edited by Placid

I've always suspected that there is a difference of opinion on the location of either the bag or the character between the client and the server. I've also suspected that this is caused by the use of floating point arithmetic or rounding/truncation of an arithmetic result.

My experience with this:

When two bags are right next to eachother, and I go from one bag to the other*, I'm never able to pick something up without dropping something first or clicking on the bag again.

* I'm on the first bag (opened), and I click on the other bag to go there and open it.

Yeah, old bug. If you can reliably reproduce it, I'll fix it.

It hasn't been fixed so far because is a low level bug that doesn't happen too often.

[23:12:06] [PM from Cycloon: I know how to reproduce but I can't post, maybe I can tell to you?]

[23:13:28] [PM to Cycloon: ok, let me know, ill post then for you]

[23:14:33] [PM from Cycloon: well you have 2 bags]

[23:14:55] [PM from Cycloon: you open one bag, take some stuff from it, leave the window open and click on the 2nd bag]

[23:15:11] [PM from Cycloon: you drop something in the 2nd bag, again leave the bag window open]

[23:15:27] [PM from Cycloon: now click back on the first bag and you can't take stuff from it]

[23:15:43] [PM to Cycloon: thanks, ill post it now.]

[23:16:22] [PM from Cycloon: yw... (maybe ask entropy to shorten my forum suspension now :x)]

[23:16:42] [PM to Cycloon: shall i post that too? :)]

[23:17:09] [PM from Cycloon: yeah do lol, well there are only 14 days left :/]

Ok, please check thatm and if it 'works' I will go and fix it.

Its reproduceable.

Drop 1 fruit, press POS1/HOME key to walk one step forward, drop another fruit.

Click on the first bag, the bag window pops up and try to get the fruit by clicking on it or using the "get all" button. Et voila, you cant.

Go back to bag 2, take the fruit, go back to bag 1 and you can take that fruit too.

Piper

sometimes i couldn't even open a bag :/

Step on the bag and drop something, then it opens (unless its not decoration). I cant reproduce that, but have seen that too.

Piper

Ok, I tried to reproduce it on my test server, and couldn't...

That's strange, I'll try a few new things after we restart the main server.

[23:12:06] [PM from Cycloon: I know how to reproduce but I can't post, maybe I can tell to you?]

[23:13:28] [PM to Cycloon: ok, let me know, ill post then for you]

[23:14:33] [PM from Cycloon: well you have 2 bags]

[23:14:55] [PM from Cycloon: you open one bag, take some stuff from it, leave the window open and click on the 2nd bag]

[23:15:11] [PM from Cycloon: you drop something in the 2nd bag, again leave the bag window open]

[23:15:27] [PM from Cycloon: now click back on the first bag and you can't take stuff from it]

[23:15:43] [PM to Cycloon: thanks, ill post it now.]

[23:16:22] [PM from Cycloon: yw... (maybe ask entropy to shorten my forum suspension now :x)]

[23:16:42] [PM to Cycloon: shall i post that too? ;)]

[23:17:09] [PM from Cycloon: yeah do lol, well there are only 14 days left :/]

This bag bug isn't fixed yet. It's still reproducable.

Then it is a different bug. I will take a look at it.

I think this is a different, client bug related to the frustrum. This bug should also be fixed, if possible try the latest CVS.

Just wanted to add that in addition to the two bags bug I've also experienced the same with only one open bag, as well as not being able to step onto a bag (on occasion) unless I use the "Home" button to walk. This is since the bug was supposedly fixed. Sorry :rolleyes: Not sure if my info is useful or not, but if it affects more than one scenario I guess it might be more than one bug?

lilbear

Like I said, that is a different bug (client side) and has been already fixed in the CVS. Get the new CVS and it should work fine.